Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

PD-170 manual snap zoom

COW Forums : Sony DV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
vegas1PD-170 manual snap zoom
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 4:11:30 pm

Hey there,

I have a PD-170 and I can't figure out how to get manual zoom control. I need to do a fast snap zoom and I can't get anything faster than the mechanical zoom will do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter DeCrescenzoRe: PD-170 manual snap zoom
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 7:03:45 pm

If I understand your question correctly, then no: A PD-170 isn't capable of doing a traditional snap zoom.

The built-in lenses on popular 1/3" CCD cams such as the Sony PD-170 and Panasonic DVX-100B are less capable than removeable/interchangeable lenses on fullsize 1/2" & 2/3" CCD cams such as the DSR-390, DSR-570, DSR-400, DSR-450WSL, SDX-900 and so forth.

Of course, the lens in a PD-170 costs a fraction of what a typical pro lens costs, so some compromises are to be expected.

I've seen some folks do a snap zoom effect in post, but the image quality usually suffers as the pixels are being magnified digitally during the zoom.

All the best,

- Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

vegas1Re: PD-170 manual snap zoom
by on Mar 24, 2006 at 7:06:08 pm

Thank you for your response.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Blast1Re: PD-170 manual snap zoom
by on Mar 25, 2006 at 5:18:19 am

If you want to do it for an effect, just use the regular zoom and remove frames in post to get the desired effect you want, it will be cleaner than using a zoom function in post as you will have a full frame start and finish.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

thewanggaoRe: PD-170 manual snap zoom
by on Mar 26, 2006 at 5:46:21 pm

(speed a regular zoom up)

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS