Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Dell Precision Workstation

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
George ThompsonDell Precision Workstation
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 3:53:31 pm

Looking to upgrade from Dell 390 workstation. Am a Adobe CS user. I have my eye on a Precision T5600 due to the dual cpu configuration. My question is where is the sweet spot on 4/6/8 core and speed. It can add up really quick and I think spending more than $3-4K on the cpu upgrade may be a bit over the top. I plan to use another source of memory to get 24 or 32G of ram and do my own thing with SSD and several hard drives internally. I have several 4 bay external storage devices for archives.
Anyone have ideas on dual cpu's and affordable (lol)core/speed selections?
Thanks,
GT
Old broadcast design engineer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

George ThompsonRe: Dell Precision Workstation
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 3:54:53 pm

BTW, I get a small corporate Dell discount for family and friends since Dell is standard at work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary BettanRe: Dell Precision Workstation
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 4:06:10 pm

With a single CPU our tip is to look for a CPU under $500, only step up if the next level CPU is less then $200 more. If it's over $200, stay where you are, if it's less, consider stepping up.

With XEONs these figures get more expensive, but the same theory applies. Since you have 2 actual CPUs, we would say that if the step up is $1,000 or less for both CPUs, make the jump. If it's over $1K but less then $2k to jump to the next level CPU, consider it. If it's over $2k, you're going to far.

Hope this helps.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GerulaitisRe: Dell Precision Workstation
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:11:09 am

Gary,

May I chip in on this?

In addition to what you said:

E5-2620 is the first "sweet spot" with 6 cores, 15MB cache and 1333MHz memory access, at $406 (Intel tray price). Models lower in line have 1066MHz (30% slower)) memory bandwidth, 10MB cache, 4 cores, i.e. this is a significant jump.

The next one is E5-2650: 8 cores, 20MB cache, 1600MHz memory bandwidth, $1107.

A Dell T5600 or my favorite, T7600, will cost about $4K+ with dual E5-2620s, nicely configured. With dual E5-2650s - $7K+.

HTH.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:27:09 am

I was thinking the T5600 with 2630 for $2400. Then add my own memory, HD's and video card 3800 or 4000 for a fraction of what Dell wants. Combination of corporate discounts and spares lying around.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:30:01 am

Woops, $3400.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:39:35 am

[George Thompson] "I was thinking the T5600 with 2630 for $2400. Then add my own memory, HD's and video card 3800 or 4000 for a fraction of what Dell wants. Combination of corporate discounts and spares lying around."

Perfect - that's what I'd do as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary BettanRe: Dell Precision Workstation
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:01:35 pm

EXCELLENT advice Alexi!

Guys, Alexi is an expert on workstation class machines by Dell & HP. He's been integrating NLE systems in them for over a decade!

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mansoor EjazRe: Dell Precision Workstation
by on Aug 11, 2013 at 8:34:54 am

I was just searching for some views/reviews on T5600 with dual E5-2620 and came across this thread. I recently acquired one with 16GB ram, Quadro 2000, Soundblaster card but was wondering what type of application will really take advantage of dual 6-core CPUs? My main use is digital photo processing so this maybe an overkill but i couldn't resist getting one for a good deal...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2013 at 8:30:51 pm

Anything that's multithreaded well: AE, rendering in some 3D apps like 3DS Max and Maya.

Another benefit of what is basically server-grade hardware is memory reliability and size: T5600 takes up to 128GB of ECC RAM, T7600 - 512GB. Core i7 systems - up to 64GB, with the majority of them - up to 32GB.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]