Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

DIY 9 and cooler

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Pete KutheisDIY 9 and cooler
by on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:07:43 pm

Hi guys,

First let me say I built my vey 1st computer maybe 4 years ago using the DIY 6 --I think--the one with the Q6600 and red apevia case. It went extremely easy. So then I built my son's.

Now I have the itch again and things have moved along enough to make it the right time.

I am going mainly with the DIY 9 system. I will likely get a Thermaltake Chaser case however and a Rosewill PSU and a smaller SSD.

Only comment is a cooler needs to be listed on the recommended build(s). The new series Intel's do not ship with a cooler. That said looking around there do not seem to be many options ..and all are around the 80-100$ point. Corair H80/100 or the Intel solution seems to be about it with the Corsair performing better in tests. There are some air cooled solutions but due the size is not recommended because it limits the options for physical size of RAM and can block some ports.

Keep up the great site.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pete KutheisRe: DIY 9 and cooler
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 8:23:50 pm

I built a system based on the DIY 9 over the weekend.

An issue to be aware of is the board currently shipping from Asus has the initial BIOS 6XX. The BIOS really does need to be the current one 906 so that all cards will work. i had a tough time with my graphics card with the board continually throwing a vga detect error until I got POST--finally after installing an older 2600XT card --then used ASUS suite to flash upgrade the bIOS and rebooted a few times. Everything was great after that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anto PignaRe: DIY 9 and cooler
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 6:57:09 am

Asus has always made me feel that its web sites are managed by kids.
The global web site search option gave me a "no product found" when I searched for "p9x79ws", I did sort out by gloogling the motherboard and I found that you must digit "p9x79 ws" with the space otherwise no luck!

I always wait before buying a new model hardware, especially regarding motherboards I wait for version 2 and let others to do free troubleshooting for manufacturers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anto PignaRe: DIY 9 and cooler
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 6:53:29 am

I was asking the same question to myself.
Can you still mount a cooler when you use the two extreme slots and so you install 2+2 memory banks?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pete KutheisRe: DIY 9 and cooler
by on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:07:49 pm

I have the blue slots filled and an H80 cooler fits fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]