Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Video Card sugestion

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jgirtVideo Card sugestion
by on Oct 4, 2010 at 6:24:06 pm

I am curently using a ATI X1950 Pro graphics card with the DI7-7 Build
Intel Core i7 930, Corsair Core i7 XMS3 12GB PC12800 DDR3, RAID 0 Qty 2 WD Black 1TB Hard Drive, Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 W power supply, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I use two Dell 2407WFP Digital monitors
Curently mostly using After Effects CS4 but plan to update to the Adobe CS5 suite.

My question is what graphics card should I upgrade to for the best set up.

I have been looking at the NVIDIA Quadro 4000, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800, and the NVIDIA Quadro CX

My main concern with these cards is if they will work with my existing Dell monitors for a Dual Monitor configuration. I have been confused by the connections on the cards referenced above as I only see one (1) DVI connection on each of the cards. Will I need to upgrade my monitors as well to work as a dual monitor set up with the cards mentioned above?

hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on my concerns and thanks ahead of time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JcschildRe: Video Card sugestion
by on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:29:49 pm

no Quadro anything they are a complete waste of money.
470/480

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jgirtRe: Video Card sugestion
by on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:59:41 pm

jscchild

thanks for the response. Didn't really help me though. What is your reason for saying they are awaste of money. Most people using After Effects are aying the opposite. What do you recommend instead?

Also still need to know about hooking up to DVI monitors to one or will I need to get monitor with display port connections.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary BettanRe: Video Card sugestion
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:20:56 pm

for CS5 the GTX470 is the way to go. Incredible Mercury performance at a fraction of the Quadro price.

Gary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JcschildRe: Video Card sugestion
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 1:33:09 pm

thanks for that Gary! glad to see you stopped recommending them!

After Effects gains nothing from Quadro cards. anyone telling you it does has never benchmarked a GTX 470/480 vs a Quadro. or is a mouth peice for nVidia.
Autodesk does to some small degree but so does cards in SLI (which will NOT work for Adobe anything)

you might gain a very small advantage with the highest end quadro with 4 gig ram on it simply due to the amount of ram. but @ $3500 vs $400

it would be far far wiser to take that same amount of $ (actually far less)
and upgrade the base system (faster CPU/more ram)

lastly only the 5800 is based on the GTX480, all the rest of them are based on the 470 or even 460 cards. (and the older are 260 cards)

so why spend more on less?

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 30, 2010 at 3:58:10 am

thanks for the info guys. I have started t do some research on the GTX 470 and GTX 480. I see that the GTX 470 is certified by adobe. I would be curious to see if anyone is using the GTX 480 and if their are any issues. The specs on the 480 looks so promising. I will probably be updating my system to CS5 in the next couple of weeks once I finished some projects using CS4 and Matrox RTx-2 on my system. Again I have been doing more AE work and that is my main concern on seeing if there will be any benefits to using the GTX 470 or 480.

I really appreciate the insight so far.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RJL0365Re: Video Card sugestion
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 5:13:02 pm

jgirt,

You should upgrade your system's PSU before you upgrade to a GTX 480. You see, that Thermaltake TR2 RX is not all that good, quality-wise, to begin with. And although earlier revisions had been over-rated early-revision CWT PSH designs that were never really meant for loads above 650W, recent versions of that model PSU are now coming from HEC/Compucase (a company that's never been renowned for quality PSUs). If you got that TR2 RX more than a year ago, you might be able to squeeze in a GTX 470 into your existing build. But if it's one that's manufactured only within the past year, I wouldn't take that risk given its mediocre-at-best quality.

For a good 850W PSU to be used with that GTX 480, I'd suggest a CWT DSG-based Corsair 850HX (HX850) or one of the more recently introduced SeaSonic 850W PSUs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:30:28 am

Thanks for the info on the power supply. I think I will take your suggestion and upgrade that as well once I purchase the GTX 480.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]