Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Requesting Monitor advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lone PumaRequesting Monitor advice
by on Oct 26, 2008 at 5:47:24 pm

Good evening,

I started my video business here in France 3 years ago and am now looking to upgrade my system and NLE (from Avid XPress Pro to Avid Media Composer).

After having followed your excellent DIY6 article, I am now needing to decide what monitors to take.
At present I use a single 19" LCD monitor on my old system.

I would like to get 2 LCD monitors for this new system.
Should I be using wide screen monitors ?
I saw that you recommend screen sizes >= 20" - is this still applicable for wide screens ?
Can you recommend monitor manufacturers ?
Would you have any specific monitor models to recommend ?

Hope you will be able/willing to help.
Best regards
Simon

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex CantuRe: Requesting Monitor advice
by on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:38:43 pm

Hi

Using a large monitor or two medium sized monitor is much a matter of taste... but also not all video cards can handle well enough the final resolution of both monitors.

Anyway, i'll try to answer your questions Smile

Q: Should I be using wide screen monitors ?
A: Again, is a matter of taste, though you loose some pixels for the height. But, there's no doubt that the best way to work with NLE is with two monitors.

Q: I saw that you recommend screen sizes >= 20" - is this still applicable for wide screens ?
A: Yep, 19" and up. Try to get monitors with a resolution of 1440x900 or 1680x1050 px. If want to use monitors with more resolution just be sure your video card can handle such a a big desktop.

Q: Can you recommend monitor manufacturers ?
A: Viewsonic and Samsung (in that order), and avoid Acer monitors (they're cheap but not that good).

Q: Would you have any specific monitor models to recommend ?
A: I'm not familiar with samsung models, but viewsonic has the VP series, these their the pro monitors for video apps.

Hope this helps, cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]