Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Did 1.0.4 Kill Magic Bullet?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jim GibertiDid 1.0.4 Kill Magic Bullet?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:29:40 pm

As I finish the project we're on now looking forward to updating to 1.0.4 I read that it has broken MB, which would rule it out for us until it's fixed.

Anyone know if this is true?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GibertiRe: Did 1.0.4 Kill Magic Bullet?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:32:46 pm

Answering my own question - Yes Jim, it is broken and not advised to update yet. Red GIant is aware of this and fixing asap.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Did 1.0.4 Kill Magic Bullet?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:52:29 pm

It seems to be just the preview window which is inverted, everything else seems fine. It's not ideal but it can still be used

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James CudeRe: Did 1.0.4 Kill Magic Bullet?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 7:41:34 pm

Yeah it actually sounds like something that was fixed in 10.0.4 that MB was working around- now they just need to update and it will be all set. The MB plugins still renders fine- just the preview is mirrored. Other than that no biggie. More details here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Did 1.0.4 Kill Magic Bullet?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 7:46:59 pm

[James Cude] "The MB plugins still renders fine- just the preview is mirrored. Other than that no biggie."

Interaction, when left unrendered in FCP X, also feels a lot more sluggish. This bug is apparently related to any plug-in using an external UI. So far that also includes Sapphire Edge, which is affected in the same way.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James CudeRe: Did 1.0.4 Kill Magic Bullet?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 7:57:36 pm

Yep- I'd expect an update will be forthcoming from GenArts as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James CudeRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 9:14:36 pm

That was fast:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/blog/2012/04/13/looks-2-0-good-to-go-with-f...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 9:30:12 pm

It fixed the invert problem. Performance is extremely sluggish. Definitely has to be rendered. Seems worse than in 10.0.3 - or at least as I remember it. Same with Sapphire Edge.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HadleyRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:05:58 pm

Folks: would appreciate hearing from others who update to 10.0.4 AND update MB Looks. I'm still on 10.0.3. I'm working on a project where I definitely need MB Looks Cosmo plug so am not sure it's safe to get back in the water yet.

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GibertiRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:25:02 pm

[Michael Hadley] "Folks: would appreciate hearing from others who update to 10.0.4 AND update MB Looks. I'm still on 10.0.3. I'm working on a project where I definitely need MB Looks Cosmo plug so am not sure it's safe to get back in the water yet."

I'll be updating both on the weekend after I get this project out.
I've done a ton of MB works on this so it will be immediately apparent if there's a performance hit from the fix/update combo.

Ironic huh? Get X to perform better and lose performance of your plugs.

We'll see.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:29:54 pm

[Jim Giberti] "Ironic huh? Get X to perform better and lose performance of your plugs."

IS it performing better? I haven't noticed. No version of FCP X has performed any differently on my Mac Pro running 10.7.3. Ignoring plug-in performance, the general app performance has always been fine, though I find the UI itself is inherently slow, because of all the built-in UI animation.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:08:28 pm

[Oliver Peters] "IS it performing better? I haven't noticed. No version of FCP X has performed any differently on my Mac Pro running 10.7.3. Ignoring plug-in performance, the general app performance has always been fine, though I find the UI itself is inherently slow, because of all the built-in UI animation."

How would I know, I'm the guy that hasn't updated .

I'm just going by a.) Apple's "performance" update and b.) The consensus here that it's a lot faster.

Now I'm disappointed and I haven't even tried it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John GodwinRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:53:08 pm

Well, response is much faster here, on a Mac pro, iMac and MacBook Pro. 3rd party playback unrendered is much more stuttery. But the tradeoff is worth it, in overall response.

Best,
John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:25:02 am

Are you seeing any faster render times John?
It would help if all 3rd party FX need rendering to view now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John GodwinRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:50:28 am

Render times seem longer, at least with Magic Bullet Looks and ToneGrade. I haven't done any timed tests so everything is pretty subjective. Playback of either of those unrendered is rough. I think the native filters may be a little faster than before. I do find that leaving background render on with a 3 second delay works out well, for me. By the time I reach a stopping point the rendering has usually caught up, or nearly, so that isn't too big a deal.

And this is mostly on my Mac Pro that has never been the stable system others seem to have. FCP 7 usually crashed several times a day on it. FCPX has only crashed a very few times, period.

I do find that after a couple of hours editing it helps to exit and restart FCPX and everything zips along more smoothly. Since that whole process takes less than a minute it's worth it.

Best,
John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 1:10:36 am

Yeah, you've got to quit the program in order to clear RAM as well as continually delete renders in order to keep it working well.

I always keep Activity Monitor open to monitor RAM usage when I'm doing a lot of intensive work that chokes it fast.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:46:59 pm

I'm in the middle of two project so I'm going to wait until they are out the door but I would really appreciate hearing how the update with Looks goes for you.

Good luck. Fingers crossed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jorgen GustafsonRe: Now fixed
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 2:48:31 pm

For me it works all fine now - latest FCPX and the brand new MB update. I'm sure Looks now render faster than before - nice surprice. Mojo is still a slow muddy hog though...but maybe it was no update for Mojo in this package from MB. Looks is my main tool for style fixing, so I'm plesed. Red Giant is obviosly a very fast and dedikated company - I wish other (for example Apogee) had this serious speed with updates :-D.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:47:01 pm

[Jorgen Gustafson] " I'm sure Looks now render faster than before - nice surprice. "

So Jorgen says the new MB fix actually renders faster with 1.0.4.

OIt would be great to have some kind of confirmation of this as I'm staying clear of the update for the very reason that I'm hearing it makes MB sluggish.

Obviously it would be great to have improved performance of both programs but I'm OK with 1.0.3 right now if it keeps MB from becoming a dog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:47:20 pm

keep the updates on the updates coming. Seems like some see better performance with MB Looks and .0.4 and some seeing worse.

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]