Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Don SmithNVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:36:06 pm

I've got a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) with 10GB of RAM and running 10.7.3 (Lion).

My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce GTX 285.

FCPX runs like a stubborn mule. I work in it but it's like pulling teeth sometime. Slow responses. Erratic behavior.

I had the same issues when using Snow Leopard.

I even rebuilt my boot drive and reinstalled apps instead of using migration assistant so that I wouldn't inherit garbage that had built up.

Am I missing something or is this the limit of this graphics card?

Thanks.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:40:20 pm

Matybe it's the 10.03 update which seems to have introduced a whole heap of sluggishness to some users systems.

I'm not getting much slowdown on my 3.1 Mac Pro with an ATi card though, It's certainly not as fast as 10.02 but it's not unusable!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T. PaytonRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:55:59 pm

[Don Smith] "My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce GTX 285.

FCPX runs like a stubborn mule."

Although I haven't done any systematic testing, from what I have gathered here and around the web, the ATI cards seem to do best with FCP X. I'm on a 2006 MacPro with a ATI Radeon 5770 and for the most part it is buttery smooth.

However, can you expound upon the mule like behavior? Is this happening all the time in FCP X, or only when you perform certain operations. Why kind of projects are you doing (straight cuts, lots of effects etc.) and how many events & projects are you leaving active at the same time? What kind of drives and connection are you using for your events/projects?

Inquiring minds want to know.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don SmithRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:18:38 pm

Thanks for you comments T....

"Runs like stubborn mule" means that everything responds slowly. I do a lot of videos (but I'm careful to use Event Manager X to only have a couple active at a time) which require lots of text overlays and basic motion graphics. To put text into a text effect, for example, is far from 'buttery smooth'. Every click or text entry gets a delayed reaction. Clicking on the horizontal position number and scrubbing left or right results, most of the time, in nothing happening for a couple of seconds and then the graphic starts jumping to catch up. Once in a while the movement might be smooth but that's the exception.

Sometimes I play the video and it won't stop. FCPX becomes unresponsive and I have to force quit it.

Maybe I should switch to an ATI card. As I said in my earlier post I keep my Mac Pro updated and I've rebuilt the boot drive from the ground up to avoid the Migration Assistant bring old crap into the new system.

This is an 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 with 10GB of RAM. Latest OS. Latest FCPX and Motion 5.

Do ATI cards accelerate FCPX or Motion 5?

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:37:50 pm

Well before you go and buy an ATI card, could you create a quick screen capture of what is happening, perhaps as unpublished on YouTube and then post it here. I'll then try to recreate what you are doing and we can compare to see if this can be fixed with a graphics card.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:54:48 pm

That's very nice of you. I can do that tomorrow. laboring under a deadline today but I'll pop up tomorrow with that screen cap. Thank you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave BrandtRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:03:54 am

Hi,
I recently brought a project I was editing in fcpx On my early 2011 MBP to a colleagues mac pro. It is a 2009 model with gt120 in it.
I was surprised to find the exact behaviour you describe.
Jerkyness, not stopping playback, editing text is horrendous, scrolling through title templates is very jumpy and editing in the timeline is laggy.

On the MacBook with radeon graphics it runs a lot smoother. I'm not sure but I would hedge a guess at the graphics card.

Macbook Pro 17" i7 2.2 8GB
iMac i7 2.8 16GB
FCP 7 FCPX Adobe CS 5.5

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:23:46 am

Except that you describe the symptoms much better Dave than my "runs like a stubborn mule"!

T says he's got a ATI Radeon 5770 in his 2006 Mac Pro. I do too at home. Yes, the same card on the same model machine. I just haven't done much to task FCPX at home since I'm using it all day at work. So, when I go to work this morning I'm taking the ATI Radeon 5770 card out of my home machine and putting it in my work machine to see what happens. I can try his suggestion at no cost to me. Will post the results here.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:14:57 am

[Don Smith] "T says he's got a ATI Radeon 5770 in his 2006 Mac Pro. I do too at home. Yes, the same card on the same model machine. I just haven't done much to task FCPX at home since I'm using it all day at work. So, when I go to work this morning I'm taking the ATI Radeon 5770 card out of my home machine and putting it in my work machine to see what happens. I can try his suggestion at no cost to me. Will post the results here.
"

Great idea, I'll be very interested to see if it improves performance

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:33:00 pm

I've put the 5770 card into my work Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) and sadly it won't drive both my 30" monitors at full resolution. I can get full res on one of the monitors by plugging it into the dual-link DVI port but the other 30-incher has to be adapted to one of the mini-display ports and it'll only do half the res.

While irritating is not unworkable. I will work today on the full-res 30" screen while doing the Finder windows and email on the low-res screen and see what happens today.

In the meantime, if the 5770 drives FCPX much better, which ATI card should I get to drive both 30" screens at their full res?

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam HelwigRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:39:01 am

I also had a GTX 285. It's definitely the card. I put an ATI Radeon 5770 1GB and it solved all the sluggishness. It's definitely frustrating but the new ATI card did the trick! Hope that helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:08:08 pm

Not a full stress test yet but a couple of observations..

The ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1024 MB) is clearly better. We'll see more as I get into text overlays. We'll see whether it no longer 'locks' into Play and won't come out until a forced restart as the day progresses.

Note that this card has two Mini Display ports and one Dual-Link DVI port. You can use any two at one time, never can you use all three at once. Only the Dual-Link DVI port can drive a 30" screen to its full res.

The 30" monitor that's at half res is truly a pain. It's 1280x800 while the 30-incher that I display FCPX on (hooked to the Dual-Link DVI port) is at 2560x1600. I suspect that the half-res is due to the Mini Display Port only servicing one link of the dual-link monitor and thus I end up with lower res than if I had a 27" display hooked to that port.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:24:35 pm

The 5770 is a beast. Look at this, 3 displays at the same time on my 2006. The VGA monitor is via a mini display port to VGA adapter I got at the Apple Store. I'm sure this uses up quite a bit of GPU VRAM as well as GPU Cycles.

BTW. I got this in hopes of setting up a client monitor that is a mirror of my second display. If you option drag one monitor over another it will mirror. Here is some more info on that:

http://fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/1570-how-to-setting-up-a-client-...

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:32:26 pm

Great tip T!

FCPX is better but still not 'like BUTTAH!' using the 5700. For example, if I click away to another program and come back, it takes FCPX between eight and ten seconds to get responsive.

I'm still getting a pause between clicks and resulting action in the two to three second range for practically everything I do. Once in a while its immediately responsive but that's the exception. I can scrub the horizontal position number in the Inspector, for example, and it'll still be unresponsive for a couple of seconds and then the clip with jump to the new position, which will be too far because I scrubbed the position number without feedback and don't know when I've gone too far until the jump occurs.

*sigh*

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 5:25:30 pm

[Don Smith] "FCPX is better but still not 'like BUTTAH!' using the 5700. For example, if I click away to another program and come back, it takes FCPX between eight and ten seconds to get responsive.

I'm still getting a pause between clicks and resulting action in the two to three second range for practically everything I do. Once in a while its immediately responsive but that's the exception. I can scrub the horizontal position number in the Inspector, for example, and it'll still be unresponsive for a couple of seconds and then the clip with jump to the new position, which will be too far because I scrubbed the position number without feedback and don't know when I've gone too far until the jump occurs."

Have patience, hopefully the next version will speed things up!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 5:53:16 pm

Can you post a screen cast of an example of this?

I'm personally not seeing this kind of delay even on my really old machine. I have FCP X on it's own "space" in Lion and it is immediately responsive.

One thing to note about 10.0.3. Apparently Apple retooled many of the elements of the timeline including redrawing, and it appears they also changed how saving is performed to the database. I'm sure it was a valiant effort, but on my machine some of the basic editing functions are now much slower than it was in 10.0.2. Alas, a couple steps forward, but several steps back.

I'm doing a multi language video today with Chinese and English Subtitles and it should be a good workout for 10.0.3. I'll report back anything of significance.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:15:48 pm

This is not as extensive as you may want but I whipped out my 4S and took a short movie of the lag time between switching to FCPX and the time it takes to become active. You have to keep it short to upload by email from the iPhone, so I'll try to send more short ones later.

I wanted to use an independent camera so that we can eliminate the screen capturing software slowing down the computer.

Download it from my Public folder on me.com. It's called fcpx1.mov and it's at

public.me.com/donaldsmith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:51:05 pm

Saw your video. Thanks for doing it on your iPhone to showing the beach ball actually spinning. Something is definitely going on. Here is some hope for you:

BTW. I also have open: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, FileMaker, pages, Text Edit, OmniFocus, Safari, Mail, Messages, Preview, Transmit, MPEG Streamclip and a few more apps.

2006 MacPro
13GB Ram
1 TB Startup Drive
6 TB Radi via eSata
Radeon 5770, 2 monitors

Perhaps we can screen share on iChat and I can troubleshoot your machine directly.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:53:36 pm

BTW. That was h264 footage, non optimized, with a color correction layer and titles and Playback set to high quality. Hence the skimming was a little sluggish.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 7:30:21 pm

Braggart! :)

At the moment I have FCPX running 'like BUTTAH"!

I had the CUDA preference panel installed in an effort to speed up FCPX when I had the NVidia card inside. I took that out and re-started the computer. Right now it's flying!

I can go from Safari to FCPX and FCPX responds instantly.

Many thanks for you help T.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:57:32 pm

I have a newer Mac Pro. 10GB of RAM (not that much less than your 13GB on the older Mac Pro) and you have a number of heavy-hitting apps open whereas I only have Saftari and Outlook open in addition to a couple of Finder windows.

Yes, something is going on. I'm on the case and I really appreciate your video to show me what I should be getting.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 7:02:25 pm

Please let me know anything else I can do of for you.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jamal WattsRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:43:04 pm

So, are we thinking this has to do with the way Nvidia handles OpenCL vs ATI? Also, I find it strange that I don't have this issue on my 2008 Mac Pro that still has the stock ATI Radeon HD 2600 (FCPX does not support this card, I installed it on that machine to see what would happen). Are your HDs going to sleep by chance?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 15, 2012 at 3:18:31 pm

Jamal, the issue is cleared up for me now that I have the CUDA pref out of my Mac Pro and have switched the graphics card to an ATI Radeon HD 5770, but one of the first things I do when I get a new Mac is to make sure the HDs (or the computer when on AC) never go to sleep.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 15, 2012 at 7:15:17 pm

From despair to euphoria!

I've already reported that the ATI 5770 card solved my FCPX performance problem but I may have also mentioned that the card won't drive both my 30" monitors at full res at the same time.

I was showing my supervisor the performance improvements in FCPX (running on the 30" monitor that was connected to the cards only DVI-D (dual-link) port and displaying FCPX at full res) but also talking about how I have to live with the other 30" monitor having one-half vertical res (and thus forcing one-half horizontal res and resulting in one-fourth the pixels on screen) and that I couldn't see more than one Finder window at a time. Like 1988!

He went to his office and pulled out a Mini-Display Port to Dual Link DVI converter! New in the box! I was skeptical though but I hooked it up and.. it works! Now I'm working on two 30" monitors both running at full res on a single ATI Radeon HD 5770 card. Many thanks to T and everyone for the help.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 15, 2012 at 7:32:56 pm

Not only a great report, but your supervisor has some kind of magic box that can pull out any converter you need the moment you need it!

BTW. I heard about that adapter and that were some troubles with the Apple version. So here is a little article about it:

http://9to5mac.com/2010/11/07/review-kanex-mdpc30-minidisplayport-to-dual-l...

Glad things are working!

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 15, 2012 at 7:48:18 pm

[Don Smith] "From despair to euphoria!

I've already reported that the ATI 5770 card solved my FCPX performance problem but I may have also mentioned that the card won't drive both my 30" monitors at full res at the same time.

I was showing my supervisor the performance improvements in FCPX (running on the 30" monitor that was connected to the cards only DVI-D (dual-link) port and displaying FCPX at full res) but also talking about how I have to live with the other 30" monitor having one-half vertical res (and thus forcing one-half horizontal res and resulting in one-fourth the pixels on screen) and that I couldn't see more than one Finder window at a time. Like 1988!

He went to his office and pulled out a Mini-Display Port to Dual Link DVI converter! New in the box! I was skeptical though but I hooked it up and.. it works! Now I'm working on two 30" monitors both running at full res on a single ATI Radeon HD 5770 card. Many thanks to T and everyone for the he"

Great thread, thanks for posting

Steve Connor
"FCPX Agitator"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad SmithRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:25:40 am

I too am running a GTX 285 and am getting odd performance with FCPX 10.0.7 and OSX 10.8.2 Early 2009 4.1 14gigs of ram.

Any of you folks running Resolve on you machines as well? I use the 285 for a render card w/Resolve and a GT120 for GUI. When I click out of FCPX to check email and come back, half the time I cannot get it to work at all and have to quit out. This happens with either card hooked up to the monitors. Perhaps I need to buy an ATI card for the video editing and pull the card and dump the 285 back in when I go to Resolve?

Does anyone have luck with the more recent nVidia cards like the 5xx or 6xx series?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

peter rudolfiRe: NVidia GeForce GTX 285 Sluggish Performance
by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:02:09 pm

Wow, I've had this problem with that darn NVidea 285 card for well over 3 years. Tried every possible solution with only moderate results. All the things you experienced and had to do get the project to run somewhat smoothly have plagued my computer too. I do mainly 'art videos' and nothing will stop the creative process more one which depends on spontaneity than a herkey-jerky machine. By the time the data is running again or stopped jumping the inspiration has long since passed. Just to determine if the music and image synch up requires exporting a small portion of the project into a .mov file to check since in Motion5 or FCPX itself the play jumped over those critical moments so you could never tell. Once in a .mov file one could see/hear what was happening you then could make an adjustment back in the project and export it again to see if one had it right. This took several episodes of this procedure just for that one edit!

Can't wait to install that ATI Radeon HD5770 1 GB Card.

One Question please Don: what is the CUDA Preference panel you refer too? Is that a custom install you did a while back? Where would I look to see if its on my machine? Don't think it is standard content and it appears you have it now deleted.

Thanks for this riveting story Don.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:28:34 pm

Under the apple menu open your system preferences and at the bottom of the pane you should see CUDA. Click on that to open it and it should tell you if you need to update the CUDA driver. Provided you are connected to the internet. If there is a new driver you should update.

I am running FCPX 10.1.1 and getting much better performance than I was a year ago with my GTX 285. However it was never running as bad as your setup. Is your playback bad even after you render your effects in the timeline? Have you tried selecting "better performance" in the FCPX preferences? I am looking forward to getting an ATI card into my machine soon.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 11, 2014 at 9:14:01 pm

Dont see CUDA In my Systems Preferences Window (OS10.6.8). There are 5 panels in System Preferences: Personal, HArdware, Internet & Wireless, System & Other. In none of those are the words or an icon for CUDA. Must mean I don't have it on this machine?

RE: sluggish performance I tried all kinds ways to minimize the drag. Once rendered the project of course played slightly more smoothly but rendering took a long time too. The new ATI video card seems to be the answer many have found useful replacing NVidia 285.

Do you happen to know or can advise on the latest ATI Radeon HD card for FCPX? The 5770 1 GB mentioned in the March 2012 post may not be the most optimum available today and for functioning in Mavericks OS 10.1.

Thanks,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:21:30 pm

That is odd you don't see the CUDA in sys prefs. perhaps your machine does not have the driver installed? That could def impact your performance. I had to boot into my 10.6.8 system last night and I saw the CUDA in my sys prefs so I know that it should be there on your machine. A quick google got me this link.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
Perhaps check to see what is the latest version that runs on 10.6.8.

As far as ATI cards there are a few choices out there that can be found on Ebay etc that have more ram and are faster than some of the Mac native cards.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:20:09 pm

RE: the ATI Radeon HD series video card for running FCPX and Motion 5, I have a friend who uses the Radeon 4850 and finds it problem free as compared with the notoriously choppy nVidia GeForce GTX285 video card that Don 7 I suffered with. Given that Don's thread was posted nearly two years ago here is a link comparing the latest ATI Radeon 5770 with its even newer 5870 which using almost every metric is 50% faster:

http://www.hwcompare.com/982/radeon-hd-5770-vs-radeon-hd-5870/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:33:24 pm

Thanks for following up. Two things.

Don Smith in his 3-15-12 post at 7:18:31 am states that his new ATI Radeon 5770 video card only worked after removing his CUDA preference from his mac. YOu are advising me to install a CUDA Driver for my MAc. Not making sense.

Regarding the best ATI Radeon card that works on OS10.6.4 and above including Mavericks 10.1 check out this comparison between the 5770 & the 5870:

http://www.hwcompare.com/982/radeon-hd-5770-vs-radeon-hd-5870/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:38:14 pm

One more thing on this topic. It appears that the latest CUDA Drivers are only designed to work on Nvidia products for the Mac and with an OS of 10.7 or later. That leaves me out on two counts. I run 10.6.8 and more importantly I'm about to trade up to one of the ATI Radeon video cards so probably wonte benefit from CUDA at all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]