Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCPX using Canon XL1

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rochelle HumphreyFCPX using Canon XL1
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:31:13 am

I am trying to find the optimum transfer of video (quality and speed) from a Canon XL1 into a new iMac running Final Cut Pro X on Lion. - 3 questions:

Is there any way with this set up to take advantage of the 800 firewire whilst the canon dv out is a 4 pin?
what is the best FCPX setting for Canon XL1 ?
what is the advantage of compressor does it make a better quality image?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian BaileyRe: FCPX using Canon XL1
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:32:12 pm

No advantage with the firewire 800 port, footage from tape is always imported in realtime. You will need a 4 to 9pin cable unless you are using a firewire hub or daisy-chaining via a firewire hard drive.

No specific settings required, but review your Import preferences. Create an Event, create a Project and click 'Import from Camera.' The import dialogue will default to your webcam, so choose your camera in the left-hand column and click Import.

The main purpose of Compressor is to export your finished project in different formats for different distribution purposes. Read all about it here: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: FCPX using Canon XL1
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:17:30 pm

This is a tape-based camera, isn't it? The transfer speed is the speed the tape plays. You can't transfer in fast forward. Compressor won't do anything for you.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2012 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rochelle HumphreyRe: FCPX using Canon XL1
by on Jan 13, 2012 at 1:07:51 am

Thank you both, Ian and Tom for your advice
More questions on FCPX:

Title cards
In relation to titles I tended to use photoshop on previous FCP ( and motion) using image and font what in your opinion is the best import file type exporting from photoshop? It seems Jpeg is not supported (in the FCPX manual).

FCP files
Is there anyway to use previous FCP files(on mac pro and external) in the FCPX what about quicktime files?

Settings:
What is the best preferences/settings for importing from Canon XL1 (I've read on other forums that firewire basic is the only way to import). Im currently waiting for a 4 pin to 9 cable to try it out.

FCPX
Compressor:
I am currently use 30 day trial and plan to buy if compressor is not necessary for web and dvd burns i don't need it at this stage?

DVD studio pro
No DVD studio pro any suggestions for a decent authoring program? The new iMac doesn't even have idvd though the dvd share on FCPX seems to be close to idvd.

Live type
Is the features of live type built into FCPX

Soundtrack
Soundtrack is missing

Thanking you good folk!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2012 at 5:30:58 am

Sure JPEG is supports. Photoshop or PNG as good formats.

There are no settings for importing from a tap[e camera. You simply connect the camera and import. There is no log and capture or batch capture function.

DVD creature is very limited in FCP. You might also wan to look at Toast or the Adobe suite of applications.

Very little of LiveType is in FCP. That's mostly in Motion.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian BaileyRe: FCPX using Canon XL1
by on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:21:16 am

Just to add to what Tom has said:

You can't open legacy FCP projects in FCPX. It's unclear, but supposedly someone, somewhere is building a widget to convert an XML from FCP7 into an XML for FCPX. You can however import QT movs and other media into FCPX.

There are no capture settings in FCPX. Plug the camera in, launch Camera Import and FCPX automatically understands you want to import DV via firewire. The settings in FCPX are mainly about analyzing video and audio for corrective and organizational purposes.

You can 'Share' for web and DVD directly from FCPX. Compressor gives you more options and I believe you'll need it if you want to create DVDs that loop or have chapters. MPEG Streamclip is a free and very useful media converter and Miro Video Converter is another free converter that works well for a variety of web and mobile device formats.

You'll probably find DVD authoring software on the App Store, but I doubt any offer the same features as DVD Studio Pro.

The whole idea of FCPX is that it now contains some of the features from Soundtrack Pro and Color. Presumably more will be added over time. If you have all your Soundtrack Pro media installed, you can access it from the Music and Sound Browser in FCPX, but loops can't be extended as in Soundtrack Pro. I'm currently looking at GarageBand to provide audio features I need: creating music with loops, multi-take recording, etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Rochelle HumphreyRe: FCPX using Canon XL1
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:18:26 am

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

FCPX file import
What in your opinion is the best free video converter (that runs on Lion) for VOB into .mov or other such FCPX friendly files to integrate into a project?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:39:00 am

MPEG Streamclip.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]