Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Sending FCP project without source media files

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Praveen NuSending FCP project without source media files
by on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:50:25 am

Hi all,
I have created an FCPX project using some movs and Apple Motion Templates. Right now i have to send the entire project to my friend who is working on the same project. He has all Motion templates and source files which i used in this FCPX project. How to send the files? I dont want to copy all source files (Media/Footage)/Motion templates or even thumbnails or backups in project folder..Any solution? ..pls help

Thank you,
Praveen N U

http://www.nupraveen.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Sending FCP project without source media files
by on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:24:30 am

Here's the issue.

Unlike most NLE programs, FCP-X expects it's content assets to be in very specific locations. The software creates the proper folder structure automatically when you create Events and Projects within the program.

So while you can duplicate a project without connection to a Project or Event - and send that file to your friend - there's a good chance they will fail when they try to open your project using their copies of the assets. (It simply does NOT work like FCP-Legacy where just invoking "reconnect media" will re-connect the path to assets - X's database is far more sophisticated then the one in Legacy.)

Try this. Have your friend open a new Event in X. Add one small file to this "dummy" project. Then have him search for that file. It will be stored in a Movies folder inside a Final Cut Pro Projects and Events sub-folders. Have him put the assets he is going to try to link to in the same place. Then try X's "reconnect" assets. Now, it's quite possible that he'll be trying to link to file types that X does NOT support, since he didn't create his assets via the X import functions. If so, he might need to import all his assets afresh. And even if he does this, it's possible that that the X database will see different content lengths or formats and STILL not want to re-link.

There are other more sophisticated process like using XML for interchange, but the truth is that X employs a pretty sophisticated folder and location structure to do it's work.

You might be a LOT better off just using the X system to create a duplicate project onto a small external drive and send the whole thing to him via FedEx - that at least will keep all the internal connections intact.

Others here might have other ideas.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Sending FCP project without source media files
by on Mar 6, 2013 at 3:51:47 am

FCP looks for the media in a particular event. It could care less about the folder structure, or even what drive the event is on. It's actually much less discerning than FCP legacy. You can actually change the event it's looking for with the click of a button. In the project settings in the inspector, click modify event references and if any of the mounted events have the media it's looking for it will say so instantly. Click that event and all will be well.

So, if you have the media, make an event and repoint the project to that event instead.

One caveat is quite an issue though. Now that the compound clips are put in the event, there's a problem recreating them. Also, I've found modify event references doesn't magically work with graphic stills like it should and I've ended up having to reconnect those clips the old fashioned FCP legacy way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:01:49 am

And to add to that, you might be able to get away with sending a simple FCPXML file. But if you have a lot of motion fx they may not come across. You can output one, and reimport it on your own system first to see if any data is lost. If not, then that's the easiest thing to email.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Sending FCP project without source media files
by on Mar 5, 2013 at 12:54:51 pm

Duplicate the Project in fcpx in the File menu.

Choose to dupe project only and don't include anything else (render files, etc).

Find the fcp projects folder on the hard drive you are working from.

Clear out any items in the 'shared' folder as well as any remaining files in the render folders.

Zip the encompassing folder of the duped project file.

Upload/email it.

Have your colleague unzip and put that folder in the appropriate FCP Projects folder on their system.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:41:30 pm

Have you tried this since compound clips are now in the event? Since there's no compound clip for it to link to I found that the compound clips in the sequence were just "offline."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy Meesno message
by on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:51:53 pm

Sorry! Posted in the wrong thread.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T. PaytonRe: no message
by on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:00:58 pm

Check out this MacBreak Studio postcast from Steve Martin and Mark Spencer, it might help.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Praveen NuRe: no message
by on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:21:12 pm

Thank you guys for the valuable feedback..Right now i got a solution.
I will keep the shortcuts(Alias) in the Original Media folder, Proxy files in Transcoded Media (Not necessary)and CurrentVersion.fcpevents.
I will delete the unwanted stuffs like backup, render folders ..its working for me. My friend has to keep the same folder structure for Media

Regards,
Praveen

http://www.nupraveen.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]