Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

succesful 'relinking' of copied media, the hard way

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
sven geudenssuccesful 'relinking' of copied media, the hard way
by on Jul 11, 2011 at 1:22:26 pm

Situation: your events and projects are stored on disk A and you want to move/copy to another (external) drive B. Doing this the official way (via the options in the fcpx menus) crashed my application. So i had to find another way.

I simply copied the 2 folders for event X and project Y from drive A to B in the finder and started FCPX. (project Y uses the media from event X).

The two drives showed up in the event library and the project library, but for drive B the event library only showed folder X in which the media was stored, but not the media in that folder. The timeline for project Y showed media offline even if the media is physically present on the new location (drive B). So you need to relink the media to your timeline (storyline, projects, whatever they wanna call it).

Quit fcpx and unmount drive A if possible. This is optional, but helps to keep an overview when 'relinking' and to be sure every thing shows up as expected.

Start fcpx and select the event folder X (in the event library).
Now right-click and choose 'import files' . Choose the files that are already in the event X folder on drive B. Choose the option 'Copy Files to Final Cut Events Folder' on drive B.
fcpx will only rebuild it's database so no media will be copied since it's already in the events folder (you copied it from drive A tot B).
All your media will show up in the event library and your timeline will be restored with all media present.

If fcpx tells you there is not enough space to complete the operation, simply import less files at a time. fcpx thinks it needs to copy everything so it reserves space on the drive (but in fact doesn't need to copy anuthing, it just needs to rebuild it's library).

This seems for me at this time the only way to succesfully move/copy projects with relinked media to an external drive for 'editing on the road'.

Hope this helps

[s]

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SilanskasRe: succesful 'relinking' of copied media, the hard way
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:48:35 am

[sven geudens] "Doing this the official way (via the options in the fcpx menus) crashed my application."

Thanks for sharing your workaround. Just curious, when you say official do you mean "Move" or "Duplicate" Event? I've tried this on some smaller Events and haven't had a crash.

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

sven geudensRe: succesful 'relinking' of copied media, the hard way
by on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:14:21 pm

hi Tony

i had crashes with both the 'move' and 'duplicate' menu commands.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that i imported a lot of media from my original fcp7 scratch location without copying the files to the event folder fcpx likes. Seems like fcpx had some troubles with the aliasses it created.

After replacing the aliasses with the media and using the above mentioned method all seems to work fine. I tried it again with a second external drive and my media was back online in a couple of minutes (after a couple of hours copying via finder). It went so smooth i even forgot to try the built-in option to duplicate the project and it's events.

[s]

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SilanskasRe: succesful 'relinking' of copied media, the hard way
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:27:05 am

Thanks for the clarification. Hope this becomes smoother soon.

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]