by Nick Toth on Oct 28, 2012 at 6:53:25 pm
I put together a short test project that I'd consider a simple :30 second spot. The footage was all ProRes 422 1080p 23.98.
In addition to 3 different video clips (some of which I used more than once) I created a disclaimer title with an FCP X title clip which I had created in Motion. I also had two clips of text generated with NewBlueFX Titler Pro (Which I recommend taking a look at. I generally prefer it to the FCP X titler or going out to Motion). I also had three clips that had the excellent Tokyo Split Animator added for a three way split. Another clip had an edited version of the BG PIPe Dream effect. Finally, all clips had some form of color correction and FCP X looks filters added (all different). Before each render I deleted all project and event render files. Background rendering was turned off so I could manually start the render to get an accurate time. Also this was with all material on a single FW800 external drive. Blackmagic Disk Speed Test showed read/write speeds of about 47MB/sec. I normally use a Promise Pegasus with 450+MB/sec. read/write.
10.0.5 Test A: full project from the timeline rendered in 1:43.2
10.0.5 Test B: full project converted to a compound clip with Broadcast Safe Luma and Chroma effect added to the video and a compressor effect added to the audio. This rendered in: 2:04.7
I did not export this project
10.0.6 Test A (same project as above): 43.6 seconds
10.0.6 Test B (same project as above): 44.7 seconds
I also exported the rendered compound clip to my desktop set to open in QT7: 22.5 seconds
IMHO the increase in performance alone would have been enough to make this upgrade incredible.
This is on a 3.4 GHz Core i7 iMac with 16 GB RAM and OS 10.7.5