Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Stupip/Funny question about boot drives

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andreas KielStupip/Funny question about boot drives
by on Oct 21, 2012 at 11:37:09 am

For support reasons I have to have 3 disks (10.6x,10.7x,10.8x)

So if I boot from disk 1 it doesn't see the events/projects created on disk 1 when booted from disk 2 or disk 3. Same with any other boot disk - it never sees what have been created by another "system".

It's totally clear why - but does it make sense?
Makes me feel like "sparse disk is the only way to go" ...

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Stupip/Funny question about boot drives
by on Oct 21, 2012 at 2:31:49 pm

The Event/Project folders would have to be in root, not User > Movies.

If FCPX had a system in place just like their SAN Locations but for regular drives, it would be 1,000 times less stupid.

;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas KielRe: Stupip/Funny question about boot drives
by on Oct 21, 2012 at 3:14:12 pm

Jeremy,

As said I know why this happens.

And your answer is wrong :) :)

If I boot from disk 1 and add an event to disk 2 the event is on the root level of the disk.
If I boot from disk 2 the event obviously is still on the root level and not in Users/me/Movies where it needs to be.

So an application is needed in the startup items which moves all events/projects from the current boot drive's root into the current users folder and move all events/projects from other drives which are in user folders to the root level.

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 21, 2012 at 3:24:22 pm

I like to say I was half right! ;)

Yes, I meant having other drives as the scratch drives.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Stupip/Funny question about boot drives
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:43:01 am

Just for the record, the Events/Projects folders do NOT have to be on a local drive for X to work with them.

If X is running on a machine and is presented with any drive or volume that has the proper Event/Project folders on it it will see them and load the assets as if they're local.

You can manage projects by just sequestering them on volumes or drives. The ONLY projects that will display on any drive are just the ones that it can look out and see. So the simplest solution is not to let whatever OS version you're testing see the Event/Projects you don't want them to.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:50:00 am

Hmm,

I think events/projects must be on local (direct attached) volumes either ejectable or not. A network volume won't work regardless of the structure - except SAN. For NAS or other machines connected to your computer you need to work with sparse disk images.

The scenario I described obviously only works convenient with sparse disk images. 10.7 up also would allow to "auto-mount" them at boot time.
You also have to make sure that the root structure doesn't contain any folder name like "VIDEO" or "DCIM" or anything that makes FCPX to think "Hey, that could be a cam card".

As said with my examples, if I need to boot from disk 1 the events/projects on this disk need to be in "~/Movies/" but they will be in "/Final Cut Events" and "/Final Cut Projects" because they where created when using another boot drive. So I have to move them to "~/Movies". When have to boot from another drive I have to move them back to the root level - as long I want to make them visible for FCPX.
That's how it works and there is no other way to make it work.

@ Jeremy: Okay I agree, you where half right ;)

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:23:41 pm

Well you do have to have at least ONE movie in your /Movies folder for X to launch - but for me it's usually just a single voiceover workspace project.

That satisfies X's requirement that there be the proper folder structure for launch. Then all my actual working projects simply live on detachable drives. This also insures that I never have to needlessly fight Boot Drive space issues.

Nobody working at my machine when the drives are off-line can see ANY of my clients work. But plugging in the appropriate drive makes a client's work instantly available - tho in X's Project Library folders so only the projects I elect to open for display are visually represented.

Seems to me to fit the OP's original request.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:35:33 pm

Bill-

That's not Andreas's issue.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HerdRe: Stupip/Funny question about boot drives
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 3:58:01 pm

I'll be teaching FCPX (and PPr on Windows) in a high school in a couple of weeks. I will have 2 iMacs, and I've been wondering how to set this up from a sharing projects point of view. A student might start a project on computer 1. Then need to use computer 2. and so on.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I will apply for a grant in January to install a NAS, but maybe that is wrong.

Last note: I've ordered Bill's software rec in his signature.

Thanks!
Rich

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 5:16:55 pm

Rich,

First of all it's not possible and recommended that two people work at the same time on the same project.

You can take the route to exchange portable drives - this is the most simple approach.

Another approach is to create sparse disk images on either of the machines or on both.
As long the machines are connected the sparse disk can be mounted on any of the two machines. So create a sparse disk image and put event and projects there. You will have access from both machines (or any machine in the network).

Using an NAS will require the same procedure since FCPX won't see the required structure on any network attached volume. But if you got enough money you can use a SAN.

I created a little app which helps to create and handle sparse disk images with ease. It's free.
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/createDiskImage/index.html

You also can create them using Disk Utility and Terminal in case you want to modify them.

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 5:44:11 pm

[Andreas Kiel] "to create sparse disk images on either of the machines or on both"

Could each student have their own sparse disk image? If so, what size?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 24, 2012 at 11:16:03 pm

Yes any student can have his own sparse disk anywhere in the network.

But working with sparse disks need some understanding.
First a sparse disk image is a kind of "virtual volume" located on a another volume as a file. If you double click that file it will show up in the Finder as a new volume which can be used like any other volume directly attached to the local machine. Like any other volume it will have it's limitation in size.
For example you got a 2 TB internal drive and you want to create some sparse disk images on it. What you can do is to create 3 500GB sparse disk images leaving 500G free for the OS, apps etc. Once the 3 sparse disk file are created they only cover a small amount of disk space - cause they are empty when you created them. Now working with them will let them grow (regarding used space). If you add more files to the internal (or external) drive will leave less space for the sparse disk images to grow to their limit maybe. Therefore the 500GB in some circumstances can't grow up to 500GB cause there is not enough space on the "master volume".
The other thing is that once the sparse volume grow up in size it will keep this size. You can delete files on the sparse volume but the current space used for this will keep the same coverage. You can shrink them using some terminal commands (or my app).
The other thing is that the 500GB (in my example) is not enough to hold a certain project and FCPX will give you an error. This can be fixed - as long there's enough available space on the "master volume" - by some terminal commands as well (or with my app with a click).

So go and try some some of the scenarios before you start and make sure the students understand what they do and can do.

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:31:50 pm

This is very helpful thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 25, 2012 at 3:56:51 am

[Richard Herd] "Last note: I've ordered Bill's software rec in his signature."

Thank you!

We're in quite a few seats in quite a few schools.

Any questions just drop me a note.

Bill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]