Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Importing with Keywords

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David PowellImporting with Keywords
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 10:05:02 pm

Hi, I'm having a hard time staying organized when importing clips with the absence of bins. I get how keywords work. What I want to do is separate the last import so it is not mixed in with other clips from the same import date so I can keyword group them all together with a keyword.

Is there a way to add the keyword before importing other than through folders at the finder level? I want to keep the folder structure the same, but I want to keyword the clips before I bring them in. Or is there a way to sort by import?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David PowellRe: Importing with Keywords
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 10:08:24 pm

Looks like the solution was to go to clip list view to sort.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Importing with Keywords
by on Oct 13, 2012 at 1:27:39 am

Simply right click on the event. Create new keyword collection. Pretend thats a bin and pretty much all works like FCP 7. Now drag your clips to that keyword collection from the finder. Or, if you've already got folders in the finder, drag the folder to the event and a keyword collection (pretend that says bin) is created. It's not all that different from FCP 7 as far as the organization goes. The big difference is that clips can exist in multiple bins, er, keyword collections. I'm not a big logger/keyworder , but I do sort things out like soundbites and broll, graphics, and animation, etc. So I still use a lot of folders and keyword collections in the event just as I would use bins. But they are so much better in X.

My big wish would be that I can open multiple event windows. Just like a finder window. They all show the same material, but I could have one event window displaying one keyword collection in list view, and another displaying another keyword collection in thumbnail view. That's pretty much how premiere bins work and it's slick. In 7, I always had a bunch of bins open and tiled on my second monitor. Now I just have the one big one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David PowellRe: Importing with Keywords
by on Oct 14, 2012 at 7:05:52 am

Thank you. Thats what I needed to know. I'm used to having multiple bins floating (Avid) or open (FCP 7) and the one strip of keywords kinda sucks but I'm trying to get used to it. Also, keeping track of clips when I create a synchronized clip, the way it disappears and I have to find it is pretty annoying. This is my first job on X though. I'm sure I'll have most of these things sorted out by the end of it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Importing with Keywords
by on Oct 14, 2012 at 2:51:50 pm

Investigate Smart Collections.

These are collections based on a user set criteria that "auto-group" when that criteria is met.

You can setup a method to group all of your synchronized clips, for example.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James CudeRe: Importing with Keywords
by on Oct 14, 2012 at 5:25:16 pm

Also you can set Folders to automatically become Keywords on import. Then you could organize your media as desired in the finder and you'll get that same structure directly in your Event.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:23:57 am

What do you mean by one strip of keywords? You can have folders within folders of keyword collections.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EwartRe: Importing with Keywords
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 4:11:28 pm

It's annoying a first isn't it but tun one day I woke up and thought...actually this is kind of clever this keyword mullarkey!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 17, 2012 at 4:46:27 pm

I've probably shared this before, but my first project with X was a multicam shoot. I decided that with the multicam h264 and audio sync capabilites it was the best system to at least do the camera cuts. I figured I'd then send the project over to 7.

We had a lot of interviews to log, and they were all asked the same questions. So I was able to keyword the answers into the question categories and such. Really opened my eyes to the whole media structure from the first project right off the bat. So, as I'm doing my logging and key wording and being super organized and rejecting stuff, and favoriting others... my wife (the producer) comes down stairs and she has taken the transcripts of the interviews, cut out the pieces she likes and put them in order and basically edited the first draft. I was still logging and all that. Sometimes new school is just new school.

And I ended up finishing the project in X. I was truly considering CS6 as the editor of choice for the future, but they just didn't have the tools I needed when I needed them. I expect to get around to CS6 one day. But it doesn't quite feel like FCP 8 yet. More like a 64bit FCP 6 with dynamic link and a better titler. Something like that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EwartRe: Importing with Keywords
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 4:49:58 pm

For sure for interviews and stuff the shortcut keywording is pretty cool.

CS6 feels very familiar..not played with it much.

Are you saying you may not stick with X long term Brett?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]