Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Files lost durring relinking in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jonathan ShulerFiles lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 4:32:58 pm

So last week, FCPX said it couldn't find three files in an event. I had other deadlines to worry about at the time so I left it to worry about next week. This week, I got into the project and noticed that when scrubbing and playing back, the project behaved as though the files were there.

So, just to get the monkey off my back, I "relinked" the files in FCPX back to the original files in the "original files" folder, were they had been the whole time. The little yellow warning over the event went away went and everything was fine...

Until I opened up the related project again and suddenly the footage is no were to be found. The event files AND the original files are missing. I KNOW they were there before the relink, I even scrubbed them in Finder just to make sure before I relinked in FCPX.

Where did they go and how can I get them back?! I'm pretty sure I've recorded over the cards that I shot on so the chances of rescuing the footage from the cards is a no go.

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas KielRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 11:20:40 am

I've no idea how to help or why this happened.
But next time you should make a backup of your cards - as it is recommended here a thousand times.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EwartRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:23:06 pm

That's not a very helpful answer to be fair...I think we all know we should back up or archive but that wasn't the question and to answer "i don't know" seems rather pointless.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:30:57 pm

James

Do you have an answer?
So why not post it.

It was just a recommendation how to setup workflow next time to prevent things like described happening.

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EwartRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:33:58 pm

If I have an answer I will post it...if not I won't...I had a similar problem (I have backups fortunately) but was keen to read solution.

This forum could be a little silly if everybody who does't know posts as such.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 7, 2012 at 1:00:14 pm

James,

Don't understand your point.
I didn't had an answer - true.
But I had just an advice to have not same thing happen twice.

Probably Jonathan has tried the common procedures like data recover and/or searching for the files.
Obviously without success.

So you can leave him either alone with his question or give him some advice - like making a backup.
And what I forgot: send some feedback to Apple.

Anyway - let's stop here.

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan ShulerRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 4:43:52 pm

Hey guys, Thanks for getting back. You'll both will be happy to know that I had backed up the whole project after all so no love lost there (and your right, I really should back up my masters until a project is over.)

The actual issue is a little worrying though. I'm going to take your advice and send something to apple.

Thanks again.

Jon

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 2:05:54 am

I don't know if this is going to help or not... but on the chance it will, I'm going to put it out there.

In X, the entire construct is largely "referential." What I mean by that is that when you import anyting into X, what happens from that point on is that all operations "reference" the original media, but don't really USE it other than as a read-only reference file.

The thing is that since X is really just a big database under the hood - all its constructions can CHANGE what they reference to pretty easily. For instance, you can import H-264 DSLR footage - and it 'appears" in your timeline instantly. You can get to work immediately, because X will just "reference" simple display versions of those original files to get you up and running. But if you've set, for instance, ProRes as your native format, X will start transcoding "under the hood", when the transcoding is done, it will SWITCH all the work you've done while the transcoding has been happening over to references to the new ProRes files replacing the H-264 ones. Same with Proxys. If you tell X to create Proxys - it can switch in and out of using THOSE instead of the ProRes files, because it just SWITCHES it's references.

This reference thing is useful because lets say you have a robust array of projects in your project library - but you don't want to maintain all the original clips that created them. Just Share out simple iPhone size clips into the internal X Shared Assets folder and BINGO, you all your projects remain as perfectly skimmable clips that STAY in your event library even if you dump all the original footage.

The point of all this is that X is extremely agile as to looking for files in order to display them.

The downside is that if X is using something OTHER than your original files to generate your project library or similar clip references, it can FOOL you into thinking you still have versions (originals) that you might not.

Back in Legacy days, if you didn't have a clip in the Capture Scratch, ALL it could do was give you a "clip offline" (red screen) and you couldn't see it or use it - it was totally disconnected. In X, theres no longer just ONE place where the program can look to give you a useful, skimmable, playable expression of your project.

Understanding this is pretty important so that you don't get fooled into thinking that just because the project APPEARS in the X interface properly, you might not have moved, or deleted or othewise broken the links between the fundamental clips and the interface.

It's annoying at first, HOWEVER, it's also what makes X amazing when it comes to working with externally stored files. Since X works with these expressions, it has a built in ability to "auto-detect" mounted external volumes and re-build all the clip links so long as the database pathways are correct.

This is why so many of us recommend using disk images or removable drives with X. It means you can work with all sorts of off-line storage exactly as if it's ON-Line - upon mounting.

As long as the database in X understands the path and the asset ID, it's always ready to "auto connect" to them.

But you can't simply think that because you 'see" a clip in X, it means that the original source file is still there - it might be just a version.

Hope that helps. It's one of the things thats fundamentally different about X that takes some getting used to.

Hope that helps and that I explained it OK. I'm coming off four straight long days of production and am a bit brain dead. ; )

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lucas BarrosRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:44:34 pm

So, did you find an answer?
The same thing happened to me TWICE over the same project,
and I'm pretty experienced to know it wasn't my fault.

Here's a link to my topic:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/21006

When I tried to relink it gave me the notice that "files were modified" so they couldn't be relinked.

What actually worked for me was importing the same media again and then the files were automatically reconnected.

Lucas de Barros
http://www.novelofilmes.com.br

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:39:34 pm

Did you use the files in AE or Premiere bychance and have the 'write XMP' preference in AE set to 'on?'

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kris StrobeckRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:40:22 am

I know this is really old, but I just had the same thing happen! I never lose files and am careful to back up, but in this case, it just didn't work out. I can't find the file anywhere on my computer and I definitely didn't delete it. I've worked for weeks on the project, and now all of sudden it says it's gone and I can't find it anywhere on my system. It was only after I opened and worked with the multi cam clips. Please help if you have any information.... my project is due today, Wednesday! Ahhh!! It's really a problem that final cut just randomly did this. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick PapadopoulosRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 12:01:31 pm

This happened to me today as well. One of our major clients - 12 minute highlight programme all video files gone while relinking. The library was local on the system, but the footage was over 1 Gbit ethernet and the drive was mounted over network.

Did your footage exist on the network by any chance? This was on FCP X 10.1.1 and OS X 10.9.2. I have sent a bug report twice. The first time I got a reply from apple saying that the only recommended protocol is XSAN and not ethernet, but they'll pass this information on to the right department. Second report was today, so no idea when and if they reply...

So in an attempt to track this down, I believe it has to to with media residing on the network. Was that the case for you?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon ShelsonRe: Files lost durring relinking in FCPX
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:33:05 am

I also just experienced this. Working with a thunderbolt raid. I also had a second user accessing the raid through thunderbolt sharing.

Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening in the future?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]