Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Gaps

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
James EwartGaps
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:09:16 am

This must have been touched on but for the life of me how do you insert a gap somewhere other than the primary storyline please?

Cheers

James

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SarafoskiRe: Gaps
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:55:20 am

Gap clips only work or can only be used in the primary or any storyline.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EwartRe: Gaps
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 2:01:22 pm

Except if you use the position tool and physically drag a gap appears...I guess we could end up with a massive array of shortcuts because of different layers having different status

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy NeilRe: Gaps
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 7:31:18 pm

If you're talking about adding gap clips to secondary storylines, then I'm afraid it only works manually. One of the enhancement requests I made to apple is to make gap clips an actual generator clip in the generators tab. After all, the info tab of the inspector calls it a generator. Then you could add it into your project just like any other generator.

I suggest providing Apple with feedback.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kyle BassRe: Gaps
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 7:40:19 pm

In a secondary storyline, can't you just use the position tool in combination with the plus and minus keys? For instance if you want to add a 5 second gap, select the clip and hit PLUS 5:00.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 13, 2012 at 8:05:27 pm

[Kyle Bass] "In a secondary storyline, can't you just use the position tool in combination with the plus and minus keys?"

Yes, but you have to first select all the clips to the right of where you want the gap or risk overwriting one clip with another. Having an "insert gap" shortcut respecting the active storyline would be much faster/easier.

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:23:07 am

Could it not be in the right/control click drop menu when you select the storyline?...that's how Smoke works - the right click drop down menu changes depending on where the cursor is. Clever and simple.

Park playhead - then select the secondary storyline and control click "insert gap" would be cool and would save them having to add even more shortcuts or edit functions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:32:17 am

There would not be a need for another shortcut. Simply a designation that gaps can be edited into secondary storylines as well as primaries.

For example, if you want to insert a clip from your event browser into your project, you hit W. If you want to do the same into a secondary storyline, you simply select the storyline bar to make it active and then hit W. It's the same shortcut for both functions, you're just telling X which storyline you want to insert the clip. That's what I'm talking about.

Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:43:09 am

I hear you...yes that's a much simpler solution.

Having come back to this software only since 10.05 ( I gave up on version 1) I do occasionally wonder how they came to not incorporate some of this stuff. I suppose it's like versions 1 thru 5 - kind of a journey for all of us... developers and users alike.

I must say that I struggled to start with to get my head round this workflow but I'm beginning to enjoy it but I can't quite put my finger on why.

I would really like to be able to scroll in the viewer/canvas window though. - I don't even know what it's called in the new parlance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]