Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

How to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David BurchHow to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 8:11:31 am

Basically, I'm working with a Multicam clip with two cameras and a live-switched version of the same show, as well as an angle containing my multi-track audio. The problem I am having is that every time I add a Cross Dissolve to my multicam track it overlaps the audio and adds a dissolve to it as well. This becomes a real issue as it bumps the audio level during the transition.

What I want is to disable the audio fading when I add a Cross Dissolve with cmd+T, so that the audio track simply plays as it would if there were no transition. Does anybody know if this is possible?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy NeilRe: How to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:23:44 pm

Yes, it's no problem. Just select the two clips you want the dissolve on and hit CTRL+S to expand them, then just click the video part of the edit point and apply your dissolve.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BurchRe: How to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 1:37:20 am

Andy, thanks for your suggestion. That's actually kind of what I already to. Unfortunately, when working on a 2+ hour multicam project, having to expand the tracks every time can get rather tedious, especially if I'm using fades constantly, and I prefer not to work with the tracks expanded all the time, for various reasons. I was hoping there was a way to turn off the audio fades altogether without having to expand the clip, either through a different keystroke or by some kind of toggle that would make cmd+t affect the video only.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy NeilRe: How to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 2:24:33 am

Yeah, there's no preference for that. However, if I were in your place, I'd probably just avoid adding dissolves until I'd made my rough cut and then just quickly add them at the end. You can CMD+lasso multiple clips (whether next to each other or not) and expand them at the same time.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BurchRe: How to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 2:49:03 am

Yeah, I do that sometimes too, but when you're working in a project with hundreds if not thousands of switches between angles it can be hard to remember which ones you wanted cross dissolves in. Ah well, one more thing to add to the list of "wanted features" :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tatum bisleyRe: How to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio
by on Nov 24, 2012 at 11:54:41 am

I'm the same position.
Sometimes, when the creative juices are flowing, it's nice to go with it and add on the fly.

I've just done loads and only realised the volume raise at every crossfade. :(

And now i have to axpand the audio to trim it because otherwise the audio clip moves instead :(

O well

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chelsea WagnerRe: How to add a default Cross Dissolve to video only and not audio
by on Oct 27, 2013 at 8:20:30 pm

Yes I agree that this is an issue as well. So is not being able to track the audio in more than one track at a time. I have to build an audio track from three angles combine it an then cut to it. Deal with the cross audio fade and or do that cut and then add in the audio track under it. Sure adds to the extra time.

Chelsea

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]