Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Corrupt waveforms in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris GilesCorrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Jul 28, 2012 at 9:58:58 pm

I started getting these waveforms that would only show partially. The most common problem is that the waveforms cut off diagonally. This happens with synchronized clips and multicam clips.

I've also noticed that audio playback on multicam clips in the timeline can be sporadic. If I click on a clip, sometimes there is no audio, but if I click on it a 2nd or 3rd time the audio plays. Compressed videos all play correctly.

I've searched for a solution to this issue but haven't been able find any answers. I posted a screen grab of the waveform below. Anybody have any thoughts?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Corrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 12:13:46 am

Quit FCPX and try trashing the "peaks data".

It's in the event's render folder.

Takes a bit to rebuild similar to trashing waveforms in fcp7.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T. PaytonRe: Corrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 3:58:04 am

If you relaunch FCP X, does that help?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris GilesRe: Corrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 4:26:27 am

I'll try dumping the peak data when I get back to the studio. Restarting it doesn't do anything. I noticed if I change the db levels the waveform gets jacked up in different configurations. Thanks for the replies and help. I'll post an update on Monday when I get back and play with some things.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: Corrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 10:50:54 am

I've had the same issue with Audio suddenly not playing on the timeline for no reason, with Multicam clips.. Hitting Cmd+2 brings the Audio back immediately (even though the Timeline window was still the active window). Strange but that's what works for me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris GilesRe: Corrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 3:47:36 pm

Alrighty, I got to test it this morning. I dumped the peaks data, restarted FCPX, and am still getting the same diagonal cut in the wave form. I also tried the Command + 2 with no results. The same clip that has the bad waveform has sporadic playback of audio. One other sidenote. There is also a small pop if I click in the middle of the clip to play it. Kind of like a speaker would pop if you touch the connecter wire to the input terminals.

I'm going to try to resync the clip and see if that works. Even if it does, it would be good to figure out what this issue is. It would be a major pain in the ass to have to resync clips every time one is faulty.

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions. I hope this thread helps others that are running into the same issues.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:23:26 pm

If you're up for it, I would try deleting render files next.

Use the File menu on both the Project and Event.

I would also "step in" to the synchronized clip and see if there's errant keyframes (double click).

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T. PaytonRe: Corrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 5:04:52 pm

So if you grab the raw audio, do the waveforms display correctly? Also do you always hear audio, even when the waveform is not drawing correctly?

Perhaps the audio file itself is somehow corrupted? or something that FCP is having a hard time with.

Weird. I ended almost everything multcam and have waveforms disappear for multi cam clips at certain zoom levels, but a relaunch of FCP would resolve it. Sometime using the zoom slider on the timeline would also "jar" something loose and they would display again.

Make sure you report this to Apple, I would send them a link to your screen shot too.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joby Anthony JrRe: Corrupt waveforms in FCPX
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:14:45 pm

I realize this is an older thread, but my internet searches have come up mostly empty. So, I add here for others who may be still searching.

The original waveform pic in this thread matches my problem and what I've found, at least in my case, is that the problem appears related to using any of the EQ Effects except for the Logic effects.

For example, I applied the AUParametricEQ from the Mac OS X effects and it would corrupt the waveform view in the Timeline. In fact, simply turning these on and off in the Inspector would create or fix the problem.

In my experience thus far, I've only found the Logic effects as reliable in this regard. I've also had to abandon the Custom EQ under Audio Enhancements in the Inspector, not for this reason particularly, but for similar "bugginess".

For reference, I'm running 10.0.5.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:02:31 pm

Interesting find.

Thanks for passing that along, Joby.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>