Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Work around for sharing event metadata

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Oren HerczWork around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:35:29 pm

Hi folks,

OK, anyone know of a way to share event metadata between users. So, say you have to people working with two identical copies of the media on separate drives, and you want to copy the media management metadata (keywords, favourites, etc.) from one copy onto the other.

I know FCPX doesn't have this functionality built-in, but is there any workaround to achieve this? Deleting the clips in one of the events and then moving the metadata laden copy from the other event is an obvious solution but cumbersome.

I'm waiting for that "sync events" function where I can choose to replace or amalgamate metadata, just like syncing contacts on my iPhone!!!

In the meantime, any thoughts?

Oren

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:28:57 pm

Have you tried copying over the Currentversion.fcpevent?

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2012 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 5:26:34 pm

Since X events and projects are wonderfully portable, just copy them to a small Firewire 800 drive - and hand that off to the other editor.

Upon launch, ALL the keyword collections and the entire event and project structure will appear intact for the new user.

In the future, perhaps X will evolve into a multi-user system - but for right now, I find it best to run as a single user experience and just transport the entire X environment as a whole. It's not all that large unless you're working with tons of footage - and drive space is extremely cheap.

Don't forget to regularly backup your storage drive, but this system is working flawlessly for me - and I can take ALL my work in progress with me to any machine that has a copy of X installed and get to work in seconds.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oren HerczRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 5:36:21 pm

Thanks, that makes sense, only some of my projects are hundreds of gigs so they take a while to transfer. I'll need to get me some Thunderbolt drives I guess!

I'll have to try copying the "currentversion" file to see if it will connect up with the media, but I suspect this may cause problems. . .

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 6:07:45 pm

I'm curious is one of those network sync files/folders automator scripts would be able to update the event if it only contains referenced media.

This would be a GREAT use for iCloud.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:20:35 pm

Oren,
Unless you're working with uncompressed Red files or something else really big - Thunderbolt is great but a bit of overkill - especially if you let X do it's ProRes conversions on import.

I work exclusively with Firewire 800 drives - and they're both plenty fast enough and cheap to boot.

Good luck.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave GageRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 8:10:12 pm

[Bill Davis] "I work exclusively with Firewire 800 drives - and they're both plenty fast enough and cheap to boot."

Bill,
(going off topic here)

Are you using single drives or RAID 0, 1, or 5? Also, are you always making proxies on import or using the native files? I ask because I've been waiting on OWC to see what they come out with in terms of Thunderbolt enclosures.

Since I was still waiting on OWC, so I decided to replace my eSata expresscard because the old one was flaky. Frankly, I don't really notice a ton of performance difference when using FW800 vs. the eSata (with a single drive OWC Voyager--I had a 2-drive RAID 1 enclosure, but it recently died). I've gotten a few kernel panics recently and the only significant change in software or hardware has been the use of the eSata expresscard.

Being an old school Mac kinda guy, I plug in the external drive via eSata, re-boot, turn off Wi-fi, and then begin editing in FCPX. It's never immediate, but it seems within a day or two I get a kernel panic and need to re-boot.

I will try after the next FCPX session to eject the drive, unplug the card, and then re-boot and see if that solves the fatal crashing problem. (Hopefully, this is related to the expresscard and not some new hardware or software issue. The expresscard workaround is very easy.)

Thanks,
Dave
17" MBP i7 2.2 (early 2011)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DobsonRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:32:22 am

We are constantly working collaboratively on shared material.

Our work involves a lot of interview material which needs analysing, with each section selected as a favourite and renamed ( that doesn't change the core file metadata )

After returning from filming all the files are placed on a nominated external drive. Files containing interview material are copied onto a mac pro laptop which also has FCPX installed. Events for the interviews are created. Once all the analysis and selection is completed we drag the event from the event folder onto a usb stick and place in the event folder on the core drive and use 'relink event files' to complete the process.

As long as you don't duplicate event names this method works well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas KielRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 11:26:35 am

Reading the OP's question I understood that they want to work on an event metadata and share.
This is not really possible!
If two people are working on the same clip on different machines they may have different decisions on how to tag metadata.
Transporting the event gives either the metadata of user 1 or user 2. There is no control like "create metadata", "add metadata", "replace metadata", "replace or add metadata" etc.
So it is always a one way transport - never work on the same event on two locations.
XML had been a method before X, but now it's useless as it does not transport metadata anymore.

Just something you should be aware of.
-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DobsonRe: Work around for sharing event metadata
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 3:47:05 pm

[Andreas Kiel] "Transporting the event gives either the metadata of user 1 or user 2. There is no control like "create metadata", "add metadata", "replace metadata", "replace or add metadata" etc.
So it is always a one way transport - never work on the same event on two locations."

Sure you are right there Andreas.

However it is possible it is possible for 2 people to work on the same files in different locations( one set duplicated), and then subsequently to merge their events together.

Well thats the way we are working.

Relink event files which was introduced 10.0.4 is a great asset. Sure it was there in FCP7 and now we have got it in FCPX.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]