Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

duplicating event proxy media, not original media to portable external drive

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Greg Lindseyduplicating event proxy media, not original media to portable external drive
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:53:03 pm

I was wondering if anybody could offer a suggestion. I've got a terabyte of media which has been transcoded to ProRes 422 Proxy files within FCPX. I want to work on this while I'm on the road but when I duplicate the event, it duplicates ALL the original media, a terabyte, plus the proxy files. The original media can't fit on the drive I'm using, which is a 240 GB SSD (not as prone to vibration) but proxies will. If the proxy files are available, why can't I just work with them, keep the original media as referenced aliases (exactly like they are in the master event folder I'm duplicating from — the original media is not copied into the master FCPX events folder but referenced.)

I've been deleting the original media in the Original Media folder in the Events folder to make space, and I'll replace it with aliases from the master Original Media folder and hopefully reconnect the clips in FCPX to the proxy files. FCPX doesn't give me any options when I want to duplicate an Event other than 'Cancel' and 'Duplicate'. I know its not good practice to mess with the applications folder structures, but its not doing what I need it to do.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: duplicating event proxy media, not original media to portable external drive
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:42:08 pm

Your'e going to have to use the Finder.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SarafoskiRe: duplicating event proxy media, not original media to portable external drive
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 7:13:36 pm

Greg,

To elaborate on Jeremy's reply.

Manually create a Final Cut Events folder on your external drive. Then again manually create another folder within the Final Cut Events folder, and give it the same name as the even you'll be copying the files from.

Only copy the following files/folders to the external drive.

CurrentVersion.fcpevent
Tanscoded Media (but only the proxy folder)

Now, make sure both events aren't active at the same time. Plug in the external drive, make sure you change playback in X to proxy, and your good to go ;-)

Hope that helps ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: duplicating event proxy media, not original media to portable external drive
by on Jun 2, 2012 at 4:45:32 pm

Perfect, Tony!

Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]