Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP X won't let me save color presets

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David SchmidtFCP X won't let me save color presets
by on May 19, 2012 at 5:35:32 pm

I have a show that needs some grading. The light ended up being a little warm and I want to cool it off. I need to make the same color corrections cross multiple clips and "match color" doesn't work.

I picked a clip, made my corrections and went to save it as a preset. Clicked on the tools button, named it and saved it. It isn't coming up anywhere.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffrey CarterRe: FCP X won't let me save color presets
by on May 21, 2012 at 1:08:11 am

The color preset list is first alphabetical to factory defaults, then alphabetical to your saved presets at the end (bottom) of the list. You could check there.

Also here's a tip to delete / mange them since you can't do that from within FCPX (you should check to see if your preset shows up here): On your main system drive, go to your MOVIES/FINAL CUT EVENTS/COLOR PRESETS to view, delete, or copy them. The files are named xxxx.cboard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HerdRe: FCP X won't let me save color presets
by on May 21, 2012 at 3:37:30 pm

HEre's a copy/pasta from a "tipps" link, below:
HOpe it helps.

2. Copy/Paste ColourEffects without other effects!
Many people complain (and I agree) that FCPX does not allow to copy/paste selected effects from one clip to the next. Whenever you do so you apply ALL effects to the new clip. This includes the Audio-effects. So when you have different resizing and compressor settings on one clip and want to copy the resizing, you also paste the wrong compressor settings into the audio.

At least (and not many people know this) you can copy/paste the COLOURBOARD effect alone. So this command only pasts your colour-correction with its masks to another clip. All other effects and the audio stay untouched. Here´s how:

Go to the menu of "Final Cut Pro" and select "Commands..."-> Customize

Now search for the word "APPLY". You will find 3 commands that "APPLY the Colour Correction to previous clip" second last and third last clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David SchmidtRe: FCP X won't let me save color presets
by on May 21, 2012 at 4:48:15 pm

Thanks Richard.

Not exactly the simple solution that the FCPX help index makes you think it is. Being able to paste individual corrections is exactly what I needed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2012 at 5:04:39 pm

Richard, how do I apply the command? I tried making a keyboard command but can't figure out how.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HerdRe: FCP X won't let me save color presets
by on May 21, 2012 at 5:36:35 pm

I'm sorry I don't know :( Just passing along information. But here is the link (linked below) where I got it: http://eggermedia.squarespace.com/blog/2012/5/7/fcpx-find-me-if-you-can-tip...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

alban eggerRe: FCP X won't let me save color presets
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 5:53:31 pm

David,
what exactly can´t you figure out? I am the one who wrote this Tip. It works great on my side.

You need to set up the command. Then you grade clip A. You go to the next Clip B, select it and hit your shortcut to paste the colourboard information to it. Simple and works for the 3 last clips.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 1, 2012 at 1:13:39 am

What you're talking about works fine. Read the original post.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]