Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

how to do log-and-transfer process from a large DV file?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Daniel Bethehow to do log-and-transfer process from a large DV file?
by on May 10, 2012 at 10:51:26 pm

Hi guys! I have an old project from ye olden days of tape! ;-) I'm starting it fresh in FCP X.0.4. I shot this project with a Canon brand DV camera, on two DV tapes, with many starts and stops. I copied the tapes from the camera, to two large DV files. I know that FCP X could automatically log it into separate clips based on the stop/start timecode if I was to capture directly from a camera; but, is it possible to do so from these files?

-rw-r--r-- 1 dtm staff 13678667462 Jul 13 2009 tape1.mov
-rw-r--r-- 1 dtm staff 11617423918 Jul 13 2009 tape2.mov

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: how to do log-and-transfer process from a large DV file?
by on May 11, 2012 at 12:13:55 am

Where did the project originate? (what NLE)?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel BetheRe: how to do log-and-transfer process from a large DV file?
by on May 11, 2012 at 12:20:35 am

It didn't. Hence the raw DV files. I'm originating it now in FCP X.

By the way, if it's not possible to do what I'm asking, here's a followup question. And I'd want to know the answer anyway. What's the best way to cut up a super-long clip, such as these 60-120 minute DV files? The Event browser is small for that, isn't it? Or is it good enough? Do I need to drop my giant master clip into a Project timeline, razorblade it into many subclips there, and then drag them all back into an Event for logging (keywords, etc)? And then I can start the editing process as per normal, in a new Project timeline.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 11, 2012 at 5:00:00 am

No, that won't work. I can edit far easier in a timeline than I can in Event viewer, but I can't copy/move clips from timeline to Event.

Editing an Event for any more than a couple of very simple in/out points in a fairly short master clip is pretty tedious. Aside from the metadata tools, it's like some primitive micro-editor. I can't zoom, can I? And if I have a list view, with the footage at the top, I can only have one row of footage, right?

http://i.imgur.com/Vn5Az.jpg

I want to either zoom in on that one row of footage, or I want to expand out to two or three rows of it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SarafoskiRe: how to do log-and-transfer process from a large DV file?
by on May 11, 2012 at 8:46:58 am

Daniel, some of the suggestions I'll make are not the way FCPX was intended to be used, however rules are made to be broken ;-)

You have 3 options in selecting and marking ranges to achieve what you want :

Option 1 - List View:
I find list view works best with JKL, then to mark your range, either press F, or apply a keyword.

Option 2 - Filmstrip View:
I've found filmstrip view works best for "shorter clips", however if you have a second monitor and your able to project your event browser to that monitor, I think you'll find filmstrip mode very handy, especially being able to visually see the changes in your filmstrip. If you don't, then again I've found JKL to be the better option, and again f to add a favorite, or use keywords. to mark that range.

With both options mentioned above, once you have tagged your range as favorites, to view only the favorites you simply change the event browser filter option to favorites, or you can also create a smart collection.

Option 3 - Using the timeline:
Oh how I love breaking rules. Like you, I at times feel the event browser (be it list or filmstrip view) find it a little "small", especially when you work off a MacBook Pro with no second monitor.

Therefore at times I choose to use this option. I append the "long" clip to the primary storyline, with my skimmer on, I skim, blade in/outs, select or hover over the clip and hit c, then press shift+f, and f to mark the range. Like I said before, you might have a few people say DO NOT DO THAT!, however I've become very fast at using this technique, and regularly use it.

Unfortunately Apple have not given us the ability to drag/drop clips from the timeline back into the event, I've been told it has something to do with the way metadata handles the media. I have had many posters disagree that this is a good workflow, I say what works for you is best ;-)

Other than that, to my knowledge I don't believe there are any other options.

Hope that help ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 11, 2012 at 9:18:47 am

Hey there Tony. Well that's quite a thorough reply, and I hope it helps others as well! That's basically what I've been doing, although I'm doing the list view and I'm only using favorites long enough to turn them into keywords. Keywords are more descriptive, and most importantly, they are immutable! In other words, they can overlap! You can make one A-roll clip, and then make several B-roll clips out of that A-roll clip. Then, I type a description in the 'notes' column. I do all of that for each subclip.

I have no idea how Smart Collections will become useful to me yet, although I have seen a dozen video tutorials about them. I'll have to reach that point in the experience, or else watch those training videos another couple of times each!

I need them to stay in the Event browser. I'm logging keywords, and camera #1 gave me an hour's worth of footage across 50 mpeg4 master clip files, and then camera #2 gave me two one-hour DV files full of potential subclips. I have no idea which footage is usable or for what, nor how they're all going to end up being composed. I'll have to probably end up dumping an array of usable subclips into a scratch Project timeline, just to see how they fit together into a story. I picked up that idea from "effective storytelling with final cut pro x" on lynda.com.

That's what happens when your camera operators have no idea what's happening at the event, and they just keep pointing and shooting! Welcome to the community! ;)

Thanks for helping me to talk it all out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 11, 2012 at 9:35:49 am

Oh and btw, yeah, I have two monitors, and I've set it to "show events on second display".

I can't create folders in the Event browser, but I guess somehow I am supposed to make a Smart Collection instead?

I want to organize my source clips in the Event browser, using folders. Like I did before, oh so long ago, in ye olden tymes, in the days of our fathers, in stranger aeons past, with *gasp* FCP 7.

You see how many purple shirts and survivors there are in there? And that's mostly just from Camera #1. Then with the file 'tape1', then the action starts over, concurrently, with Camera #2.

:-/

Am I supposed to somehow create a gaggle of increasingly specific or arcane keywords and Smart Collections, in lieu of folders? Should I create a keyword called "purple shirt folder" so that I can organize it into a folder-like Smart Collection called "purple shirt folder"? lol

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 11, 2012 at 9:40:29 am

Speaking of gaggles of keywords, I want a list of prewritten stock keywords. Aperture has some great hierarchies of stock keywords.

Often, I don't even know how to think about organizing my footage until I'm half done with the attempt! A-roll, B-roll, sound effects, images, soundtrack, dialog, aren't enough!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SarafoskiRe: how to do log-and-transfer process from a large DV file?
by on May 11, 2012 at 11:04:56 am

[Daniel Bethe] "You can make one A-roll clip, and then make several B-roll clips out of that A-roll clip. Then, I type a description in the 'notes' column. I do all of that for each subclip."

I now have a question for you. If you tag a clip with a keyword A-Roll, then you make a second keyword out of that keyword as B-Roll, adding a note to the A-Roll keyword doesn't then allow you to add a separate note to the B-Roll keyword. That's a lot of keywording going on in my question LOL, but does that make sense?

[Daniel Bethe] "I have no idea how Smart Collections"
I'm probably not the most experienced answer this question, but from what I understand smart collections are used to somewhat combine keywords, or favorites, or text, or really any combination of those.

So for example, if you have an interview and you keyword it Daniel, and you then add another keyword to daniel and called it answers (which will be the answers to the questions asked), then you would use a smart collection as a "folder" to combine any material that has the keyword Daniel & Answers.

Actually here's a better example. I do a lot of video/audio synchronising. I create a smart collection and give it an action to only search for sync. If at any stage I need to sync video with audio, as your probably aware, FCPX creates synchronised clips in a compound clip and always tags it with synchronised at the end of the clip name. this way instead of looking for newly created synchronised clips in the event, I simply click on my smart collection folder, which only shows these compound clips.

From what I've learnt the past few weeks, smart collection are very powerful.

[Daniel Bethe] "I need them to stay in the Event browser. I'm logging keywords, and camera #1 gave me an hour's worth of footage across 50 mpeg4 master clip files, and then camera #2 gave me two one-hour DV files full of potential subclips."

I perfectly understand your situation and can see what your trying to do. Honestly I think favorites is your better option, but that's just my opinion. If you need to make multiple selects that overlap, why not just give that clip 2x keywords, A-Roll & B-Roll or more if need be, then use favorites to "sub clip". This way you will see your favorites in the event browser.

The only other option I can think of, is you use 1x keyword to make you range selections, which in return will show all those clips within that keyword, and the event browser.

To be honest I've been jumping around from forum to forum, searching and nudging out other people's workflow, however I'm yet to find a solution that I can easily pass on.

I've been in a few debates about this same topic, and it always seems to end in a vague explanation. I keep getting told I need to "embrace the new way", and when I ask what is this new way.... I get no reply!

I'm more than willing to embrace metadata or this new way of organising media. I too would like to see someone put together a video tutorial showing exactly how you "should" be using the metadata in FCPX. Not just for home videos, but real life situations like long formed documentaries or films. Till then I'll have to keep on searching :-(

[Daniel Bethe] "That's what happens when your camera operators have no idea what's happening at the event, and they just keep pointing and shooting! Welcome to the community! ;)"

Exactly the point I've been trying to get across to many editors. You'r not always going to have "perfect material" given to you. At times you might face a situation like yours, how exactly do you handle it in FCPX?

[Daniel Bethe] "Oh and btw, yeah, I have two monitors, and I've set it to "show events on second display"."

I envy you dude.... At times I find it hard to deal with the event browser, but every day I'm learning, and just quietly, loving it too ;-)

[Daniel Bethe] "I can't create folders in the Event browser, but I guess somehow I am supposed to make a Smart Collection instead?"

That's correct, you can't make folders within the event browser, and I can understand your reasons for it, but you'll have to dig further in smart collection which will solve this for you ;-)

[Daniel Bethe] "You see how many purple shirts and survivors there are in there? And that's mostly just from Camera #1. Then with the file 'tape1', then the action starts over, concurrently, with Camera #2."

Oh yes I see. If I were you, I'd be getting my head around smart collection, it's your answer for sure..

[Daniel Bethe] "Should I create a keyword called "purple shirt folder" so that I can organize it into a folder-like Smart Collection called "purple shirt folder"? lol"

LOL... I'm told you must be old if you can't let go of sub clipping..! Didn't realise 39 was old these days.

[Daniel Bethe] "Often, I don't even know how to think about organizing my footage until I'm half done with the attempt! A-roll, B-roll, sound effects, images, soundtrack, dialog, aren't enough!"

Daniel I know there are a few guys on this forum that have gotten there head around the organisational partrt of FCPX. I just which someone come pout with a tut. I'm more than happy to pay for it ;-)

over and out T.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick TothRe: how to do log-and-transfer process from a large DV file?
by on May 11, 2012 at 2:33:06 pm

Speaking from experience and as tedious as it is, you would spend less time capturing your video in rough individual clips rather than capturing an hour or so at a shot. FWIW

NT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 11, 2012 at 6:22:36 pm

Well. Okay. But. The thing is, I captured all of this DV footage years ago. Ya know, before *everyone* had gotten the memo that tape was obsolete! ;)

It was an extra camera, borrowed! ^_^ I wouldn't ever normally subject anyone, even myself, to such a thing as fragile, linear media.

Also, not all events permit that level of predictability when shooting, or can't be comprehended for quite a while when editing. You can't always script 'cute' or 'awesome'. ;) I'd have been rewinding that tape constantly, playing it through in realtime (instead of rapidly scrubbing) because sometimes all I want is the audio, and capturing a lot 'just in case'. This particular event was an all-day set of presentations surrounded by performers and thousands of individual attendees who are reacting to their environment, kinda like a fair. I'd never seen any of it and was just figuring it out in the middle of it. That's how most of my events go, because I shoot the community and its volunteers, or nature, or whatever. I don't often know what's going on or what story is being told, while it's happening.

It's just a "real life" scenario. :-/ I don't mean to sound contrary; I'm just thinking aloud because I know there are so many different styles.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]