Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP X is Now Performing Magic

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
shawn BockovenFCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 8, 2012 at 3:26:33 pm

It was decided that one editor would take on the task of using FCP X for a year. He is pounding out projects much faster than any of our other editors. All staff are testing too, but not using X to edit paid projects just in case.

So, we are giving FCP X a real go here at my TV station. Love most everything about FCP X. BUT!!! We can't keep losing projects and dealing with corruptions. Our test system is a freshly rebuilt dual quad core Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM running Snow Leopard. Shut the machine down at the end of a workday, start it up the next morning and the Project is GONE!!! The backup file IS GONE!!! Not in the trash, search finds nothing with the project name on the system ..... not on the system. Return from lunch and a project is corrupt. If we keep testing FCP X in a real working environment, I guess we will need a Time Machine drive on every computer??? FC 1-7 never did anything like this. If a project was corrupt, one could choose from many older versions from the autosave vault.

Suggestions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob WoodheadRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 8, 2012 at 3:38:09 pm

So you mean "Black Magic"? As in evil zombies rising to snatch almost-completed projects from the hands of babes?

Lovely. Give me some of that. ;)

Seriously though, do you find any correlation between compound clips & prevalence of corruption?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T. PaytonRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 8, 2012 at 4:16:33 pm

Hi Shawn, sorry you are having trouble. I would strongly suggest you give Apple a phone call regarding this. I personally haven't lost any projects and I have a good 20 large projects done in FCP X. On several machines, a Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook Pro and even a MacMini. Also I'm a compound clip nut and in fact I'm delivering an effects heavy national TV spot that has been completely cut in compound clips. About 15 or so versions and haven't seen any corruption issues.

What is your drive setup on it? Are you on a SAN or just individual RAIDs?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 8, 2012 at 5:21:40 pm

Why are you still running Snow Leopard? Could this be an issue? I've never had any corruptions happen with FCPX and Lion. You can't even get broadcast monitoring with at least 10.72 installed according to Apple...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DobsonRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 8, 2012 at 6:07:26 pm

I've been using FCPX for 11 months now and not lost one project or had any corruption issues.

I've had other problems which through perseverance and the wisdom of the Creative Cow community have
largely been resolved.

I've learnt over the years that it makes good sense to keep up with the Apple operating systems, maybe with a bit of a lag to let 3rd party suppliers catch up.

I've lost a bit of hair though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

shawn BockovenRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 8, 2012 at 6:27:18 pm

Well, we started the testing before our IT department approved Lion and have not had enough downtime to transition all of our machines. I have no idea if this is a Snow Leopard issue or not since X has been running well up until we started having these problems in the last few weeks.

Since we are testing FCPX, I am not yet, ready or willing to invest in new hardware for broadcast monitoring. However, we do send the exported file to a Final Cut 7 system to check for issues before the program is deemed ready for air or Internet.

On Apple Website:
OS X v10.6.8 or OS X v10.7.2 or later (OS X v10.7.2 or later for broadcast monitoring).

Thank you for your input.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tony westRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 9, 2012 at 12:17:10 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Why are you still running Snow Leopard? Could this be an issue?"

I'm still using Snow also Lance because as crazy as it sounds I don't like those grayed out folders in Lion.
(I heard there is a third party to fix it though so I will be moving over I guess)

But I have not had any problems (knock on wood) and have huge 1080p file projects.

I wish we could pin point it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 6:29:16 pm

@T. Payton, we are using an internal three HD RAID 0 and one OS drive.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

shawn BockovenMaybe we found the problem
by on May 8, 2012 at 9:42:11 pm

Checked to see if the computer was booted in 32 or 64 bit mode. Well, she was in 32. Rebooted into 64--I think she's now in In apple pie order ... hopefully.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 10:04:12 pm

Do you have a RAID controller for those drives are you using the software RAID. Also how is the media drive formatted? HFS+ noncase sensitive? I am assuming your project & event is on the RAID right?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 9, 2012 at 7:17:15 am

Another vote to upgrade to Lion.

I haven't had any major problems in months since I did that and I have to believe that all the new development work in the ProApps division is being vetted on the current OS, not one that's been out of service for so many months.

After all I thought this was a "test rig" for X. If so, what's the possible objection to upgrading it? Is someone from the executive suite sneaking in after hours to use that machine to run a version of Solitaire that won't run under Lion or something? ; )

Protect your core business stability by all means. But test modern new software on modern new OS rigs, IMO.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 3:59:32 pm

Agree about Lion, but I didn't have any trouble with Snow Leopard with FCP X. One thing that I have heard from Apple is it best to start with a fresh system install with FCP to rule out any issues that might have been lingering with the system. A user account with corrupted items can always be problematic, and it is very difficult to identity the problem.

However, my whole time with Snow Leopard I haven't had a problem with FCP X. Although I would vote for Lion also, my guess it is something up with your RAID that FCP X doesn't like.

And if you go to Lion frankly you'll get used to the grey icons on the side bar. It really bugged me to, but I just let it go. Now I see Apple's point as it is a distraction visually with the colored icons ;)

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tony westRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 10, 2012 at 1:18:04 am

[T. Payton] "And if you go to Lion frankly you'll get used to the grey icons on the side bar. It really bugged me to, but I just let it go. Now I see Apple's point as it is a distraction visually with the colored icons ;)"

You and Bill make some good points. I have most of my apps in the doc now anyway.

I really never thought it was distracting.

In Itunes podcast were purple and if that's what I wanted my eyes went right to that color.

Now I have to look a little more closely because they are all the same.

I should have control over how I want my folders to look. It' my computer : )

As Bill said, they are testing on the newest stuff I'm sure so I need to get with it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thoreau BakkerRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 9, 2012 at 8:18:55 pm

[Bill Davis] " Is someone from the executive suite sneaking in after hours to use that machine to run a version of Solitaire that won't run under Lion or something? ; )"

;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 9:08:03 pm

Indeed my version of the Robin Hood game won't run on Lion, which was really holding me back from getting FCP X running well. ;)

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 4:12:53 pm

Caught someone for Wolfram & Hart running Mathematica from a remote location last night. I sent Angel out to take care of the "problem". ;-p

Seems booting into 64 bit has solved the problems on this workstation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Petter StahreRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 10, 2012 at 6:09:11 pm

The loss of project data sounds all to familiar. I had a similar experience as documented here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/7667#7667

Apple contacted me and fetched some data although I never got any info regarding status of the issue.

However, only a few weeks after I contacted Apple I decided to upgrade to Lion, and since then (three months) I haven't had any project data loss. I also completely reinstalled FCXP (trashed the software and then download a new copy from App store).

My system is a MacPro 12-core 2,66 GHz, 32 GB RAM and at that time Snow Leopard 10.6.8 was installed.

If Lion could be an alternative for your FCPX-computer then maybe it's worth a try?

Best,
Petter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: FCP X is Now Performing Magic
by on May 11, 2012 at 12:18:47 am

[shawn Bockoven] ". If we keep testing FCP X in a real working environment, I guess we will need a Time Machine drive on every computer??? FC 1-7 never did anything like this. If a project was corrupt, one could choose from many older versions from the autosave vault. "

Try this: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/introducing_pro_versioner_backup...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]