Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Video in viewer is soft when playing, fine when still....?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob WoodheadVideo in viewer is soft when playing, fine when still....?
by on May 6, 2012 at 2:35:52 am

Been using the Viewer smaller while getting to know X, but just started working with a 100% playback window. Now I see that when I play any clip or timeline, the image degrades slightly - gets softer - when playing. Hit stop, it sharpens. I view the clip in Quicktime & it's fine. Start/stop, no shift in quality. Made sure that the timeline was same as clip (settings), no BG renders, etc. Tested with DVCProHD720/30p and AVCHD 1080 24p

Almost looks like it's adding fields. Aliasing.

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carsten OrltRe: Video in viewer is soft when playing, fine when still....?
by on May 6, 2012 at 2:46:12 am

You can change this behavior in the preferences: Playback quality.

If set to higher performance FCP reduces something (I guess Resolution, but not sure how it works) This way you get more real time performance.

If set to Higher Quality is is best quality ( no visual softening, and no difference between play and pause) but you loose a bit of real time performance.

Try the higher quality and if it works for you than you will not see any difference between play and pause.

Hoope that helps
Carsten

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Bob WoodheadRe: Video in viewer is soft when playing, fine when still....?
by on May 6, 2012 at 10:45:42 am

Doh!

Thanks Carsten. I feel like a noob again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2012 at 1:18:20 pm

That said, I will note that FCP7 didn't decrease playback resolution on already-rendered clips, even if RT playback was enabled.

Seems like (another) spot for improvement.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Video in viewer is soft when playing, fine when still....?
by on May 7, 2012 at 4:01:48 am

But I think it's a different idea. Can your system play back ANY rendered clip? Your drives may not be up to it. I think with higher performance on, it's almost like getting the benefit of proxies, without dealing with proxies.

I also like the preference to warn of dropped frames due to drive performance vs. regular dropped frames due to processor performance. I've yet to get a drive based drop frame from the Pegasus.

FCP 7 did let you vary the frame rate of playback, and that was always on, rendered or not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2012 at 1:42:09 pm

Nah, all was good Bret, once Carsten pointed out that pref. I'm running an old HUGE Systems RAID that can handle 2 streams of uncompressed 1080 via SCSI, so this new-fangled compressed stuff is cake. ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Video in viewer is soft when playing, fine when still....?
by on May 7, 2012 at 5:45:10 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "Nah, all was good Bret, once Carsten pointed out that pref. I'm running an old HUGE Systems RAID that can handle 2 streams of uncompressed 1080 via SCSI, so this new-fangled compressed stuff is cake. ;)
"

SCSI, there's a blast from the past, I've still got my 36GB SCSI RAID in the garage!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2012 at 9:28:17 pm

Let's see, computer gear that's held it's worth the longest (and STILL going strong):

#3 - HUGE Systems MediaVault R320 RAID, 1.5TB, UW320 SCSI
#2 - Apple CinemaDisplay
#1 - HP Laserjet 4.... circa.... 1993 !!!! The WINNER!

lol

Where'd I put my CMX paper punch tape EDL?

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-FCP-Premiere-3D-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]