Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Freeze Frame slows down incoming clip

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bret WilliamsFreeze Frame slows down incoming clip
by on May 1, 2012 at 6:09:23 pm

So now I'm in deep in the first FCP X project. I need to freeze frame the end of a graphic from After Effects so I can transition out. Just add 1 second really. Simple editing 101, right? The hold frame thing looks like such a improvement vs. the old shift+N. Except the problem I'm having is that when I go to the end of the clip, and add a hold all looks well. It says the incoming is 100% speed, and the outgoing is 0%. But it's not. The animation actually has some audio & video in it which is placed precisely in the timeline over where it came from. I'm using the timeline audio, but the animation has the same audio. Both are perfectly in sync. Once I add the hold frame, the "100%" speed clip starts in sync, but drifts out of sync over a whopping 10 seconds. Playing with the incoming speed and dialing it down to around 96% seems to get the sync back. Seems kinda ridiculous. I'm using 10.0.4. Anyone else seen this? This a bug from the start? Better way to make a simple freeze frame? Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Freeze Frame slows down incoming clip
by on May 1, 2012 at 8:24:37 pm

Why not slice the clip at the frame you need frozen, move it out of the primary (command-option-up arrow) and apply the hold to the attached clip?

Unless I am misunderstanding what is gong on...which can happen.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Freeze Frame slows down incoming clip
by on May 1, 2012 at 8:47:14 pm

That seems like a workaround. But I was trying to avoid the whole sliced up mess that was FCP 7. Why do we rebuild an app from the ground up if it's not going to be right? One clip is actually out of the primary, the one I was talking about. It's an AE animation that includes clips from the primary below it. If it wasn't for hearing both audios at once, I wouldn't have noticed.

I played with it on some longer video clips in the primary. You can try it. Put a clip in the primary, park the cursor and not the TC of where you're asking the hold frame to be placed. It might be a frame or two later in the timeline when it gets placed. However, it will be the right frame that gets frozen. So, the incoming gets just a hair slower.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon UbsdellRe: Freeze Frame slows down incoming clip
by on May 1, 2012 at 8:55:45 pm

This has been noted before.

The problem (I think) is that FCPX has an ease in/out behavior on the keyframes going in and out of all speed effects.

This was certainly the behavior in the original release and it looks like it still hasn't been resolved.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 1, 2012 at 8:58:29 pm

Well that's down right freakin idiotic. Fine for speed effects for broil, but their new little invention of the HOLD makes that just wrong when working with narrative.

Is there a better way to get a freeze? I'll try Jeremy's method of just splitting the clip, then applying a hold to the second clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom WolskyRe: Freeze Frame slows down incoming clip
by on May 1, 2012 at 11:33:40 pm

Check the hold segment crop value in the inspector and make sure it is switched off and not set to Ken Burns. Use the reset button.

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2012 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 1, 2012 at 11:51:35 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Check the hold segment crop value in the inspector and make sure it is switched off and not set to Ken Burns. Use the reset button."

Ya lost me on this one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 12:00:10 am

Click on the hold segment. It should appear selected. Look in the inspector to the Crop section. There's a popup menu there. How is it set?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 12:01:29 am

Trim.

What would the crop function have to do with retime?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 12:09:08 am

OK. Sometimes it switches to Ken Burns, which does a slow creep on the hold segment. This will alter the segments going in and out of it.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 1, 2012 at 8:59:33 pm

I did this in under 8 seconds (see screen grab).

freeze.png

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 1, 2012 at 10:49:38 pm

So what exactly did you do there? Split the clip, put a hold on the second part, move it to a secondary storyline, then roll the clip back out under it? 4 steps instead of cmd+H? (which lengthens the clips too, WTH?)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 1, 2012 at 11:37:13 pm

[Bret Williams] "So what exactly did you do there? Split the clip, put a hold on the second part, move it to a secondary storyline, then roll the clip back out under it? 4 steps instead of cmd+H? (which lengthens the clips too, WTH?)
"

If you hold the frame in the middle of a clip, it "extends" the clip the amount of the hold.

Actually, I optioned dragged the clip from the primary (copying it, and it doesn't mess up the rest of the timeline), bladed it at the frame I want to hold, deleted the clip in front, make sure that the playhead is at the beginning of the new clip, and shift-H. You can trim off the end, and extend the red hold area for as long as you want. Turn down audio on the hold clip of course.

You could of course do all this in the primary, too, just blade, hold, trim end and extend audio from preceeding clip.

I find it easier to work on a copy, keeping the primary in place.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 2:14:07 am

Option drag to copy doesn't seem to work in FCP X. It was part of my workflow in classic. Oh, position tool maybe? And can you do it with transitions? Can you make transitions start/end on edit? So many questions...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 2:17:02 am

You can Option drag transitions to copy them. No end or start on edit transition control.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 2:19:45 am

[Tom Wolsky] "You can Option drag transitions to copy them. No end or start on edit transition control."

and remember, if your clip is a connected clip, must be in secondary to have a transition.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 6:17:26 am

Too bad. I'm now constantly adding a dissolve, then moving it back by half it's length. And if I change the length, I now have to calculate the amount I've changed it, then move the dissolve by half of that to keep it's start point or end point in place.

I've been using FCP since version 1.2. It was a edit ready app. Did more than Media Composer. HIgher quality too if you consider it was native DVCam while everyone else was compressing DVCam via component to AVR 77 or 2:1 in Avid. But that was my one big gripe then too. We had to wait until version 2 to get start on edit dissolves.

Funny thing is if you drag it to a secondary, or add a dissolve to a connected clip which then becomes a secondary, it adds the dissolve at the start or end. Not on the center. So where's the consistency there?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 3:40:20 pm

[Bret Williams] "Funny thing is if you drag it to a secondary, or add a dissolve to a connected clip which then becomes a secondary, it adds the dissolve at the start or end. Not on the center. So where's the consistency there?"

Yeah, it does some things differently.

You can always add a gap to the secondary storyline and dissolve from the gap to the clip in the secondary.

You can add a gap in one of two ways, use the position tool 'p' to drag the clip in the secondary to make a gap.

Or you can add a gap to the primary (option-w), and move that gap to the secondary.

The magnetic timeline will adjust to adding a gap and taking it away.

I know, its a bit of a workaround, but it will allow a center dissolve if you need it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 2:17:27 am

Hold option. Click and hold clip, drag up.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 6:11:41 am

Ok, got it now. Know why it wasn't working for me? Muscle memory. Obviously I hold down shift as well, which would make perfect logical sense, no? In both FCPs shift keeps things from moving left or right. But of course in X it seems to break the option thing. Which there's no reason for. It should hold the duplicated clip in place.

So, I option drag and it duplicates. I make sure it says +00 so it's in the right spot. But it's ALWAYS about five frames to the left. Baffling. It visually lines up perfectly until I let go of the mouse. WTH?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 3:14:00 pm

[Bret Williams] "Know why it wasn't working for me? Muscle memory."

Yeah, FCPX does some things differently.

[Bret Williams] "So, I option drag and it duplicates. I make sure it says +00 so it's in the right spot. But it's ALWAYS about five frames to the left. Baffling. It visually lines up perfectly until I let go of the mouse. WTH?"

I don't seem to have a problem with this.

If it doesn't seem to be working, you can can always match frame then add a copy as a connected clip.

Place playhead a beginning of clip, hover over clip in timeline, use 'c' to select it, hit shift f to match frame, hit q. Very quick and accurate.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 8:34:19 pm

I like that. Very quick. Not as quick as option shift drag. Very Avid like though. In Avid you don't drag things around as much as you load them up in the source and edit them back in.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd BradleyRe: Freeze Frame slows down incoming clip
by on May 24, 2012 at 11:36:33 pm

Does anyone know of a freeze frame effect plugin for FCP X that doesn't require all the hoop-jumping and weird side effects? It seems like it would be a very easy thing to build for any effects programmer. I can't find any online, though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 25, 2012 at 1:08:41 am

Try resetting the crop function on the hold segment.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]