Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Stevo ChangApple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:58:40 pm

So I responded to a thread started by Jonah Lee Walker which was a post with links to various blogs and articles about the many reasons why professionals find FCPX unusable.

In support of his post, I posted the following and was immediately taken down by Apple.

It looks like Apple wants no mention of the petition on their discussion boards. Could Apple view the petition as a potential legal document and threat?

Please read my original post (further down in the e-mail) that Apple included in their response before commenting.

Dear (stevo_chang),

Recently you posted a poll/petition on Apple Support Communities. We are including a copy of your post at the end of this email for your reference. We understand the desire to share experiences in your topic, "Re: Why Video Pros are so frustrated by FCPX, a couple of must read articles!" but because these posts are not allowed on our forums, we have removed your post.

These forums are intended for technical questions that can be answered by the community. We want everyone to be able to contribute to our forums and have their issues addressed. We feel that we have a very strong community and that it is an excellent resource for users to get assistance. I encourage you to continue using the Communities while abiding by our terms of use. The terms of use, which also includes helpful information about using Apple Support Communities, is located here: https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/tou.html.

If you would like to share your experiences with Apple directly, you can submit feedback here: http://www.apple.com/feedback

As part of submitting feedback, please read the Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy linked to the feedback page.

Best Regards,
Apple Support Communities staff

++++++++++

A copy of your message for reference:

Yes, this is a good starting point.

A lot of anger has been pointed at professionals on these boards who are trying to provide a professional discussion for the short-comings of FCPX.

But as professionals who care about our industry and as a professional courtesy, we feel compelled to state the obvious short-comings of FCPX.

Although Apple has banned the user who started the FCPX Petition (see the CNET article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20074841-248/petition-seeks-to-bring-back... final-cut-pro/), I have to applaud Apple in providing a forum that allows users to interact, communicate, and ultimately help each other with whatever questions or concerns they have with their products.

At least we know Apple is monitoring these boards and therefore, our voice does matter in these forums.

This message is sent from a send-only email account. Any replies sent to this address are deleted automatically by the system.

FCP -- RIP 2011

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Michael HancockRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:33:33 pm

[Stevo Chang] "It looks like Apple wants no mention of the petition on their discussion boards. Could Apple view the petition as a potential legal document and threat? "

No. It violated their TOS. From their TOS:

"Do not post polls or petitions or links to same."

There's a lot to be upset about concerning Apple right now, but this is hardly one of them.

EDIT: Copied/pasted the wrong portion of their TOS. Fixed now.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:41:20 pm

still. the optics aren't great though are they? for a software launch fiasco in truly perilous PR waters, or, a "new coke debacle" as the huffington post puts it, trying to shut down debate on your boards seven days after the debate got going doesn't really sound like the cleverest thing to me. It actually sounds like they're handing the next headline over - "Under pressure from petition, Apple stifles user debate".
Honest to god, I'm being vaguely agnostic here - it just sounds like a surprisingly stupid move.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg BurkeRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:35:26 pm

I love how they worded there response to you. It reallys funny. Could you imagen apple talking to adobe this way.

Dear adobe,
Your Verison of photoshop is to complaticated and technical. And needs to be rewritten in a friendly UI and easy to learn.

Best Apple

Don't mind me just venting

That is pretty bad though. You should be able to post your mind in a professinal manner. Witch you clearly did.

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:37:08 pm

[Greg Burke] "Could you imagen apple talking to adobe this way."

Sure I can. Did yo follow the Apple vs Adobe Flash feud?

[Greg Burke] "Dear adobe,
Your Verison of photoshop is to complaticated and technical. And needs to be rewritten in a friendly UI and easy to learn."

That's positively kind compared to the way Apple disparaged flash . . . and Adobe's responses. It reminded me of those old World Wresting Federation matches. I was practically expecting a tag team match with outfits and masks and trash talking.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike PettyRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:10:01 pm

Are you kidding me?

Forget the whole FCP/FCPX situation...This is unbelievable.

You are publicly ripping Apple for their decision to pull your post and calling into question their motives for doing so? Under normal circumstances I would have no problem with that (even though the TOS is crystal clear).

But...I read your bio...YOU WORK FOR TBWA/CHIAT/DAY - APPLE'S AD AGENCY! Are you crazy?

Man I could do about an hour on the scope of your disloyalty to your employer and your client (Yeah that's right...if Apple is your agency's client then they are in fact your client, too)...but anybody on these boards who is in a client service business already knows what I would say.

And just for the record...Chiat/Day was my agency for five years. If I heard that one of their staff (I don't care who or in what department) was ripping my brand in a public forum like this...I'd pick up the phone and you would be history so fast you could not clock it.

Apologies to the Cow community for this personal interjection

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:24:24 pm

hey - did you have to call him out that loudly? His position here as a fellow FCP user and his position with his company could have been two ships that passed in the night. A lot of people come on here to vent their frustration with this situation.

[Mike Petty] "but anybody on these boards who is in a client service business already knows what I would say."

I can't say I knew what you were going to say, but I would have guessed you were going to say it really really loudly. As a response to his post, I thought your hypothetical "I'd have you fired buddy - I'd ring them up right now" was overbearing and completely out of line on an FCP editors user discussion forum.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Chris HarlanRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:25:52 pm

Seems to me that that's his business, Babe. Not yours. Plus, loudly threatening to air-fire someone is pretty low. I hope you are just a little over-excited and this isn't your normal MO.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mike PettyRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:59:26 pm

I have seen agencies lose accounts for sillier things than that and I have friends at that shop that could could suffer as a result...so yeah, I got a little torqued.

That notwithstanding appropriate forum and volume control concerns noted.

Just curious though...what would you do if you heard one of your employees was disparaging one on your biggest/best clients in public forum? Or if you saw that one of your vendor's employees was disparaging your brand/company publicly?

Rhetorical question...let's move on to the issues you point out are more germane to the forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:07:40 am

I've seen the same things you've seen. What I would do with someone who works for me/under me/with me, depends entirely on the specific situation. What I wouldn't do is make decisions about someone who does NOT work for me/under me/with me, and has no effect on me. I especially would not put online a detailed outline of how and why I think they should get fired. I don't need to be hypothetical about that at all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew LandiniRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:48:16 pm

Mike-

If he were saying "most of us at [Apple vendor] believe so-and-so", that would be a different story. He's entitled to an individual opinion outside of work. You were the person who pointed out the connection, and if this were to gain press, it would probably be your fault. Oh, the irony.

Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marc LegrandRe: Apple bans any mention of FCPX Petition from Apple Discussion Boards
by on Dec 12, 2011 at 5:24:50 pm

Dear Andrew Landini,

I work for the French society of filmmakers L'ARP (http://www.larp.fr).

Is it possible to add a French version of your petition on http://www.petitiononline.com ? we could email you a translation.
It would be useful to get more signatures from French professionnals.

Thank you for your answer,
Best regards

Marc Legrand
mlegrand(@) larp.fr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]