Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
J HussarFCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:08:25 pm

I read the FCP X FAQ and it basically says, we are doing what we are doing and if you don't like it you are SOL.

It smacks of hubris to me. I know Apple can be like this, but usually they are not this completely wrong.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

David BankstonRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:22:20 pm

Agreed! I'm off to Premiere.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

J HussarRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:24:21 pm

I saw what Walter did showing the features of Premiere, I didn't realize it was as good as it was. I will hang for a bit and hope Apple sees the error of Randy's ways, but if Apple maintains their arrogance, that might be where I'll go as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:35:32 pm

I think the slap came last week. This is just a re-hashing of the PR they've been trying to flog
for the last few days.

bigpine

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Danny DavisRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:47:08 pm

I downloaded the trial version of Premiere (very impressed) and if nothing changes
very soon It's mine!

I think Adobe are loving this for all the right reasons...because they want to be number one.
And they could be.

Danny.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Paul JayRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:58:32 pm

Premiere for Mac does native MXF and native RED for a long time.
Now all they have to do is make the AJA/BMD/Matrox stuff work just as good as with FCP.
Ive tested the AJA io express with CS5.5 but it doesnt work as it should. But im sure it will soon.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BorjisRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:08:30 pm

agreed.

When Adobe makes nice with AJA & Blackmagic (like fcp) I'm in.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrae PalmerRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:19:47 pm

Yes... monitoring is the only big issue that needs to be resolved.

Davinci Resolve Mac 7.1:
Mac Pro 12-Core
24GB (six 4GB) memory
ATI Radeon HD 5770 and NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D+

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Danny DavisRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:24:33 pm

And Matrox PLEASE!

Danny.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lucas MerinoRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:37:09 pm

I know saying this on this thread is a needle in a haystack, but as a long time Premiere user, I want to tell people that it runs much better on Windows.

... and this is in no way simply being anti-apple for anti-apple sake. In my experience it has just run so much better whether scrubbing on the timeline or loading files, etc.

The one caveat that I think people will realize is that there is no built in "working codec" similar to Prores or Avid DNxHD. You can look at Cineform as a 3rd party solution, but IMHO if Adobe released some sort of Prores type codec (or built in Cineform by default) it would be a really fantastic tool. I think they choose to not include this because they want to be codec agnostic in a way, but the problem is they have no good codec to output when you project is finished. You have a choice between web codecs like h.264, or totally uncompressed... there is no good middle ground.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:59:00 pm

[Lucas Merino] "I want to tell people that it runs much better on Windows."

Thanks Lucas, the unfortunate aspect is a lot of us are heavily vested in the mac hardware we have and doing a 180 swap into pc land would be painful.

I'm hoping the release of CS6 will address that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Pierre JasminRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:07:16 pm

You can use bootcamp to run Windows on your mac hardware. No additional hardware needed.

Pierre

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:09:39 pm

I run a lot of other mac applications though, I suppose dual booting could be an option.

on another note, looks like adobe has fixed the "issues" with AJA at least according to Walter B:

"Happily I can now run my AJA Kona boards smoothly with CS 5.5 thanks to the new 9.0.1 Plug-In release."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pierre JasminRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:28:06 pm

I don't know that Premiere is any different on Mac (as long as you have NVidia card and proper drivers). I am not sure what the status is right now, the suite itself used to have more apps on windows. I think it was audio tools related.

I read somewhere that there is an issue with NTFS formatted disks and FCP X not liking that - not sure it's true, but that would be an issue with multi-boot and wanting to access assets from both boots.

Pierre

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:14:52 pm

[Chris Borjis][T]he unfortunate aspect is a lot of us are heavily vested in the mac hardware we have and doing a 180 swap into pc land would be painful.

I think what Apple does with the Mac Pro lines will be telling. If, instead of refreshing it, they drop them entirely from their lineup, I think not only will you see the switch to AVID/Premiere, but also a switch over to Windows 7 machines.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:31:18 pm

agreed Gary

Ideally in the product cycle i'm in with my 2009 octocore systems, they have at least another 2 years use before an upgrade/PC switch over is considered.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul EscamillaRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:52:29 pm

here's a very scary thought. What if Apple buys Avid and Adobe and kills off Premiere and Media Composer? Then what?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:33:22 pm

Then all those people who wished for Apple to have a monopoly on the technology sector will get their wish.

Won't life be grand then?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lucas MerinoRe: FCP X FAQ-Slap in the Face?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:34:46 pm

[Paul Escamilla] "here's a very scary thought. What if Apple buys Avid and Adobe and kills off Premiere and Media Composer? Then what?"

Open Source Editshare

As per Premiere on osx vs. Windows... at work I have a Mac Pro that I dual boot with bootcamp. I have the same versions of Premiere CS5 on both setups and it just clearly works better on the Windows side. This is the exact same hardware, being that it's the exact same machine.

On the Mac side, when I try to rapidly zoom-in-zoom-out on the timeline (which I do a lot) it just drags. Also moving clips around on the timeline, for some reason seems more clunky on the Mac side.

The only reason I boot up into OSX is for FCP 7. If it weren't for that, I would have every other application I use on the Windows side (adobe suite, avid, Cinema 4D, various compression software, etc.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]