Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Ios7

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Julian BowmanIos7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 9:25:20 am

That green they chose for some of the app icons is a tad suspect. Ives is a designer, right?

aside from that pretty 'meh!' so far. Good to see they added the control centre as a swipe from the bottom so now both ends of my ipad have useless (to me) features I can't turn off that materialise on screen when not wanted because, god forbid, I swipe all across my ipad whilst reading websites or playing with apps.

Oh and folders now only hold 9 icons before you have to swipe to see more despite 50% of the folder and 75% of my ipad screen being dead space whilst a folder is open. Are apple investing in a device to aid with RSI and are trying to drum up advanced sales?

It's things like this that reminded me of FCPX projects tabs design decision. Why? Why make something harder to use and add more actions needed (much more than that example of extra clicks needed in X - a truly annoying part of the software). Can we not just have tabs up of each sequence we want open? And whilst you are it can you put 15 icons back on a single page of an ios7 folder.

Apple are a funny bunch. Obviously designing stuff with self obsessed blinkers on leads to some innovative ideas, but then no one bothers to test them all out properly and so some right nutty ideas slip through the net.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin PhillipsRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:04:47 am

Ok that makes me feel better - my trusty old 3GS is not upgradeable to iOS7 now.

Right ... back to installing FCPX on my G5 :-)

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.thevideodepartment.co.uk

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 3:27:52 pm

[Martin Phillips] "Ok that makes me feel better - my trusty old 3GS is not upgradeable to iOS7 now."

Martin, are you aware just how much faster the newer iPhones are?Trust me, I'm not a shill for Apple, but life is too short to wait around for emails and web pages, you need to upgrade that phone. :)

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin PhillipsRe: Ios7
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 1:21:38 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Martin, are you aware just how much faster the newer iPhones are?Trust me, I'm not a shill for Apple, but life is too short to wait around for emails and web pages, you need to upgrade that phone. :)"

I know David! Just giving that cute little 5S six months to mature to avoid any early model woes! :-)

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.thevideodepartment.co.uk

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim HinesRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:01:17 pm

Does Apple build in a "go back" feature in case you don't like the new design? Some operating systems allow you to choose "classic" or some other name to return only the design to what it was prior to changes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Julian BowmanRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:15:08 pm

sadly not. there are a couple of nice touches in 7 but the icons look poor and the new calendar layout wastes space as isn't as visually clear or functional. face time audio is nice. favourites on safari blank page is nice but creative cow website no longer fits on a safari page so I can't read it without constant left right swiping. overall it seems the design shift was more for in house self gratification that great great design. still it is a phone and that still works :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim HinesRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:17:55 pm

Thanks man. Have a good one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Charlie AustinRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 3:42:52 pm

[Julian Bowman] "but creative cow website no longer fits on a safari page "

The CC mobile site on iPhone won't fit at all, and can't be resized. Not sure I blame the OS though, probably some markup needs to be rewritten for the site...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nikolas BäurleRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:35:34 pm

You can click on the text icon (black + white lines) in the address bar, then CC mobile page you're on will turn into text on white background.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nikolas BäurleRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:39:39 pm

Correction - when still in CC mobile mode the address bar is grey, the text icon is black lines. Once you click it the icon turns black+white lines

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Ios7
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:28:33 am

Ugh, can't stand the cow in mobile mode. Gotta see the full thread.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 4:12:33 pm

Somethings are very sluggish on my iPad 3. There's still no Calculator or Flashlight app either on the Homescreen or in the Control Center. Podcasts and iBooks are still in their iOS 6 shells. Icon designs are wildly inconsistent in terms of aesthetics. Changing a Wallpaper grinds the machines to a halt. Lot's of slight lag in lots of different places. Notifications are still pretty useless.

I'm surprised at the positive reviews. I don't have an iPhone so am assuming that iOS 7 is a beast on them, because it seems very rough and well, homegrown on my iPad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Warren EigRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 4:25:53 pm

The iPad 3 has no external flash so there is no flashlight. It also doesn't come with a calculator, though there are plenty free calculator apps you can download.

Over all my iPhone 4s and iPad 3 seem much snappier with iOS 7 installed.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 4:32:00 pm

I wonder why my experience is so different? I have lag simply from switching to number mode on the keypad. It doesn't feel snappy at all.

Thanks for explaining the Flashlight Calculator thing. I have a Calculator installed, but I quite like the look of the Apple one, so was a bit bummed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:00:42 pm

The color and design is certainly a fundamental change from where iOS has been since the early days.

Functionally, I find it to work much better. It is now a true glass screen touch OS.

I like the Control Center a lot, as I use those functions frequently. Getting from app to app is much less awkward, I like swiping left/right to move through web pages instead of hitting a forward/back button. The Safari tabs page is a little weird looking but it does function well.

It is not the most cohesive design I have seen Apple put forth, but I do like how it functions, much better than iOS6 and below.

The performance has been great on an iPhone 5 and iPad 2. It is more fluid than iOS6.

The colors and icons will get tweaked over time, but I think they've done a pretty decent job at working on the mechanics of how this OS functions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:04:15 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It is not the most cohesive design I have seen Apple put forth, "

Agreed, but it's pretty slick, and I'm sure the tweaks will come as we move along

[Jeremy Garchow] "The performance has been great on an iPhone 5 and iPad 2. It is more fluid than iOS6."

FWIW, it's really nice on my 4S as well...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:31:17 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Agreed, but it's pretty slick, and I'm sure the tweaks will come as we move along"

What is very weird is that iOS6 already feels really dated. It is astounding how quickly that happened for me (basically, overnight).

It's like working in X for a while and then going back to 7. I feel cuffed and things move much more slowly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:41:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Charlie Austin] "Agreed, but it's pretty slick, and I'm sure the tweaks will come as we move along"

What is very weird is that iOS6 already feels really dated. It is astounding how quickly that happened for me (basically, overnight).

It's like working in X for a while and then going back to 7. I feel cuffed and things move much more slowly.
"

Totally agree, but with one small rewrite:

It's like working in Media Composer or Premiere for a while and then going back to 7. I feel cuffed and things move much more slowly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 19, 2013 at 7:12:05 pm

"[Jeremy Garchow]" It's like working in X for a while and then going back to 7. I feel cuffed and things move much more slowly.

[Chris Harlan] "Totally agree, but with one small rewrite:

It's like working in Media Composer or Premiere for a while and then going back to 7. I feel cuffed and things move much more slowly."

Thank god! Back on topic. ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Sep 19, 2013 at 7:13:50 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Thank god! Back on topic. ;-)"

Ha!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris HarlanRe: Ios7
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:40:15 pm

[Charlie Austin] "[Jeremy Garchow] "The performance has been great on an iPhone 5 and iPad 2. It is more fluid than iOS6."

FWIW, it's really nice on my 4S as well...

"

Yeah. It looks good and works well on my 4S, though I think it will look better on a 5S. On my iPad 3(or whatever we are supposed to call it), I think its a little less than meh, but tolerable.

On the iPhone, the stripped-down, more colorful icons are easier to read. They pop nicely. On the retina iPad, they look threadbare, and the spacing feels a little awkward. I'm guessing it will look better on the mini, and on the iPad 2.

Design-wise, I like this on the phone. My iPad loses, here. Put that's okay. My phone is far more important to me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil HoppesRe: Ios7
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 12:19:56 pm

Swipe up from the bottom. A mini control center will pop up. You won't have a flashlight because you don't have a flash but the calculator should be there. It's the second button on the bottom from the right.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/how-to-use-ios-7/

My 2 cents is I really like IOS7. Very clean and functional looking interface. IMHO it is far more readable and aesthetically much more pleasing. The inconsistent icon's are to be expected. I just Googled (http://148apps.biz/app-store-metrics/) the number of active IOS apps and the number stands at around 877,000. Do you seriously think that all of these apps would be modified by the day the new OS was available?

I suspect that Mavricks will have some very similar interface appearance features like IOS7. It will be interesting to see. I'm not a huge Apple Fan-Boy but I also don't think the crazy Apple bashing that is appearing lately is warranted. The transition from Jobs to Cook has not been seamless and I'm sure there are a few more hick-ups on the way. I'm encourage with the new Mac Pro. While I will not be getting one, (it's not a great machine for 3D work) it looks to be a real winner for those who spend all of their time video editing. I'm betting that there will be some nice shinny new things in 2014 but I think it is completely unrealistic to expect that Apple could continue the pace of growth that they have shown in the past 5 years. It's just not sustainable. It does not make them a bad company and certainly does not mean they are going out of business.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]