Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Premiere Pro CC it is then?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Steve ConnorPremiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 5:00:14 pm

But is it all CC only?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 5:28:42 pm

So much for 'Adobe listens'.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 5:36:40 pm

So are you saying that according to Adobe Max announcements, that the ONLY way to purchase the next version is via a Creative Cloud subscription? I.e., no more perpetual licenses?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 5:38:41 pm

[Oliver Peters] "So are you saying that according to Adobe Max announcements, that the ONLY way to purchase the next version is via a Creative Cloud subscription? I.e., no more perpetual licenses?
"

Looks like it is, some tech sites have announced it as well.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Franz BieberkopfRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 5:42:00 pm

[Steve Connor] "Looks like it is, some tech sites have announced it as well."

Steve,

Any links?

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 5:43:44 pm

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/05/06/after-nearly-10-years-adobe-abando...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CardonnaRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:50:03 pm

let us know when it becomes available in the streets near you. Just want to know how adobe has encoureged piracy.

Richard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:05:10 pm

Richard,

In my post in the Danger Will Robinson Thread, I was just pointing out the ground realities here in Mumbai.

I am against piracy of any kind.

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:13:29 pm

So am I but this move by adobe is only going to increase demand for such software maybe even create a blackmarket something the prohibition era in th USA.

Richatdm

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 5:44:48 pm

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/adobe-goes-all-in-with-subscription-based-...

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 5:50:22 pm

Well, then.

This is definitely the "other shoe" I've been waiting for that would explain the big mystery about the name. CS Next indeed.

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:54:49 pm

They just listen to their accountants and broker.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David LawrenceRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 5:38:53 pm

Wow. And I thought Apple made the mother of all marketing blunders. Good job Adobe, you win the prize. Any bets on how long before the backlash forces them to walk this back?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 5:55:32 pm

I'm not completely sure this extends to all products. The video apps all seem to be wrapped into the Creative Cloud package and not available elsewhere. OTOH, there does appear to be some upgrade path for Photoshop and/or Lightroom individually. At the moment, the Adobe web site is a bit confusing. In any case, if you want to "own" Adobe software, now is the time to "lock in" on CS6.

I guess the shoe is on the other foot. Adobe has handed Apple a great opportunity. Not just for FCP X, but also Aperture and Logic. Hope they react in a useful fashion.

Ironically Avid is looking pretty darned good right know!

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:16:15 pm

[Oliver Peters] "there does appear to be some upgrade path for Photoshop "

The Verge says Photoshop to be subscription only as well.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/6/4305300/adobe-announces-creative-suite-upd...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:34:45 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The Verge says Photoshop to be subscription only as well."

Wow. That will not go over well.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 8:55:36 pm

It doesn't really help matters that CC has issues that have been ongoing for way over a year. Great when it works but in my experience it is not yet reliable. I still have a few weeks to cancel without penalty.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dustin ParsonsRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 11:34:35 pm

I think the biggest problem is CC hasn't been out for very long so people aren't sure if it's a good thing or not. If Adobe was to have waited a year on this when a lot more people have tried it, they could be the evangelist that Creative Cloud needs to convince every else it's a good thing. Right now, even the people who are using it haven't used it long enough to really sing it's praises.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 12:24:50 am

[Dustin Parsons] "If Adobe was to have waited a year on this when a lot more people have tried it, they could be the evangelist that Creative Cloud needs to convince every else it's a good thing."

Wow.

Two years ago this would have been totally at home (nearly word for word) as:

"If Apple was to have waited a year on this when a lot more people have tried it, they could be the evengelist that Apple needs to convince everyone else it's a good thing."

What goes around comes around, huh?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John GodwinRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 5:53:43 pm

I cannot wait to hear the response from Ireland.

Best,
John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+5

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:57:08 pm

Oh, my goodness yes. Rubbing my hands in anticipation.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:08:39 pm

Back in March many news sites gave the impression that while box sets were going away, full perpetual licensed version would still be available.

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/03/adobe-will-end-sales-of-boxed-version-of-cr...

“As Adobe continues to focus on delivering world-class innovation through Creative Cloud and digital fulfillment, we will be phasing out shrink-wrapped, boxed versions of Creative Suite and Acrobat products,” an Adobe spokesperson told TechHive in an email. “Electronic downloads for Creative Suite and Acrobat products will continue to be available—as they are today—from both Adobe.com, as well as reseller and retail partners.

and
http://www.techhive.com/article/2030623/adobe-plans-to-halt-boxed-sales-of-...

Box sets were ending May 1st but all reports I had read indicated full Creative Suite would still be available for purchase (perpetual license).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan StewartRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:13:30 pm

As I understand it CS6 will continue to be on sale but will not be supported. I honestly couldn't think how Adobe could screw up the epic gift Apple gave them but to their credit they seem to have found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory..

I'm seeing outraged Photoshop users all over the web spluttering about $2500 and their recent CS6 purchase thrown in the bin. I bet Adobe fold and make an exception for Photoshop at least or it's going to be the most pirated program in history.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James TaylorRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:15:45 pm

Unbelievable. Someone at Apple is laughing right now.

JT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:23:06 pm

This would be a good time for Apple to put out some info on what's coming in 10.1.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jeremy GarchowRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 7:11:10 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "his would be a good time for Apple to put out some info on what's coming in 10.1."

There's a 10.1 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

;)

Just kidding.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:18:18 pm

I really like Adobe's vision, they have a great set of tools and the integration they are aiming for is very ambitious, I don't mind using the Cloud model, especially if the feature updates are as continuous as they are promising.

However I think they picked a very bad time to force the transition to the Cloud in the NLE space, PPro CC looks great, as I think Aindreas may have mentioned, but I wonder if this will divert some potential FCP7 switchers away from Adobe.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Chris HarlanRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 11:22:27 pm

[Dan Stewart] "As I understand it CS6 will continue to be on sale but will not be supported."

Actually, it will be supported, just not upgraded.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:14:17 pm

Just announced officially at AdobeMax, no perpetual licenses!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:17:01 pm

I suppose we've had the answer since February.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:17:56 pm

Brave move, and they have a new Pen!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew KimeryRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:20:36 pm

Wow, I'm really surprised Adobe did this right now. I think this will put the breaks on a lot of people that were transitioning, or planning to transition, over to Adobe.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:24:20 pm

And suddenly FCPX is starting to look good again. Wow, didn't take very long to go full circle.

JT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:25:21 pm

I guess the one thing Adobe has going for it is the fact they listen to their customers. Tell me again who asked for this?

JT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 5:14:24 am

[James Taylor] "And suddenly FCPX is starting to look good again. Wow, didn't take very long to go full circle.
"

Not any better than it looked yesterday or the day before.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim VaughanRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:26:47 pm

That's for darn sure. That "introductory" rate sounds good this year, but when that thing runs out, we'll all be paying double what we're paying now, and for software we don't "own". It'll really hit home if anyone closes up shop and needs to go back a month or two for a quick edit... Honestly, I don't know... I'm based in AE, but... Sonofa...

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:47:46 pm

Did I hear them say that PPro was number 1 in editorial?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:52:27 pm

I'm starting to think now that all the FCPx'rs got it right! LOL Absolute joke...

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy FieldRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 9:15:16 pm

If anyone closes shop and needs to come back and reedit something,they pay a one month subscription fee. And they are done. Does that really kill your business ? Lets say its double by then. 60 bucks one month. You seriously can't build that into the cost of a client reedit?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:20:30 pm

[Andy Field] "You seriously can't build that into the cost of a client reedit?"

It's not about the money, but it's about the money.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:24:32 pm

But it's not Jeremy. Look at this way, when Apple launched X and EOL'd 7, my copy of 7 still worked.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:28:08 pm

Exactly! And what if someone like Google or Apple buy Adobe for patents. Then kill a few programs off. Will you ever be able to open your work again?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:36:43 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "But it's not Jeremy. Look at this way, when Apple launched X and EOL'd 7, my copy of 7 still worked."

CS6 will still work, too. Won't it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:46:43 pm

Sure. The issue is what happens down the line.

I had to revisit an old Nike spot I cut a couple of years ago last week, and I opened up FCP7 and made the changes the agency needed. This is the type of thing that concerns me.

There's always XML, but again we'll have to make the assumption that all that info will translate flawlessly into the newer version of the software. And we saw how well that worked with 7 and X.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:09:30 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "Sure. The issue is what happens down the line.

I had to revisit an old Nike spot I cut a couple of years ago last week, and I opened up FCP7 and made the changes the agency needed. This is the type of thing that concerns me."

I hear you.

A big difference is that fcp7 hasn't changed much since you created that project a few years ago.

Pr, on the other hand, has changed a bunch in the last few years.

I guess that I have never felt that these projects are truly "mine". Big companies can and will do what they want in order to stay in business, just like you mentioned.

I can't really afford to sit around and worry too much.

With fcpx, the program seems to change so much in every realeae, I'm not sure if old projects are going to work on the next point release.

I do understand the concern.

[Sandeep Sajeev] "There's always XML, but again we'll have to make the assumption that all that info will translate flawlessly into the newer version of the software. And we saw how well that worked with 7 and X."

Yes, XML is a decent long term archiving solution, but it won't be perfect.

Nothing will be, even perpetual licenses.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg AndonianRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 9:48:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "CS6 will still work, too. Won't it?"

Yes, but what if someone who doesn't have any CS products starts using Premiere, and then at some point it goes in a direction they don't like? They're going to have to keep paying Adobe to access their projects while they look for something else...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:12:59 pm

[Greg Andonian] "Yes, but what if someone who doesn't have any CS products starts using Premiere, and then at some point it goes in a direction they don't like? They're going to have to keep paying Adobe to access their projects while they look for something else..."

Changing NLE's is hard to do no matter what the cost.

If you are 100% worried about it, then you don't have to sign up, but that seems rather extreme.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg AndonianRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 10:47:03 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Changing NLE's is hard to do no matter what the cost.

If you are 100% worried about it, then you don't have to sign up, but that seems rather extreme."

I was thinking more in terms of a "down-the-road" scenario- like what happens if at some point Premiere takes a sharp turn like FCP did.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 11:03:43 pm

[Greg Andonian] "I was thinking more in terms of a "down-the-road" scenario- like what happens if at some point Premiere takes a sharp turn like FCP did."

I would say that you can probably bet on changes being made in the future.

Now what do you do?

Which company could you choose that you would know with 100% certainly that changes will not come? I can save you a bit of time, not one of them.

We can and have pointed to many example of company's taking or ending products. It happens and it will happen again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 11:15:24 pm

Clients aren't worried about it. We shouldn't either. I mean, beyond a very short period, I don't think clients can count on much. They can't even count on us still being in business, or still living here, or being alive for that matter. They know technology changes. They won't be surprised if they come back in a few years and say can we reedit that show and we say wow, not directly because the software we used doesn't function on the latest systems we've upgraded to. Sure it's nice if we're still in business and can reedit, but they know the risks.

Now, if a client is paying for storage or has some long term contract with us, then that's different. But in my world it's a project deal. If they want to take and store all the source files I encourage it. I keep a copy of the master and the project files, but not the media. But I can't guarantee my house won't burn down, get robbed or flood.

Tech changes, companies go out of business. It's just the way it is. No guarantees beyond the immediate present.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 11:53:46 pm

[Bret Williams] "No guarantees beyond the immediate present."

Bret,

So you aren't interested in films, pictures, recordings or any other media from the past? Or you're satisfied with limited access to them?

Perhaps that is the prevailing wind. It's a fascinating thought.

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:44:56 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "[Bret Williams] "No guarantees beyond the immediate present."

Bret,

So you aren't interested in films, pictures, recordings or any other media from the past? Or you're satisfied with limited access to them?

Perhaps that is the prevailing wind. It's a fascinating thought.

Franz.
"

I guess for me the reality is that I just don't go back to projects that often. I do use back-up copies with splits a lot, though. In fact, quite a bit. Maybe it is because I've hopped from and between so many incompatible NLEs over the years, and I've had to provide so much source material to others on those incompatible NLEs, that I've gotten used to it. And, I can make folders of media managed material with an AFF or XML list to take them somewhere else.

I don't like the decision Adobe has made here, but mostly because I don't like the way it seems to affect others. I, myself, am not feeling much of an upset. It may be that, after two years, I'm just upset-out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:54:43 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's not about the money, but it's about the money."

It's not about the money. It's about who controls access to your digital property.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:17:41 pm

[David Lawrence] "It's about who controls access to your digital property."

i.e., the money.

Legally, none of this software is your digital property and never really has been, you just pay for the rights to use it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:32:04 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Legally, none of this software is your digital property and never really has been, you just pay for the rights to use it."

That's debatable:

http://www.eff.org/search/site/eula

Also, I'm talking about access to the digital properties I create using the tools I buy from vendors. If I cannot open the files I create without paying the vendor in perpetuity, then I do not control access to my digital property. The vendor does. Unacceptable.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:59:53 pm

[David Lawrence] "Also, I'm talking about access to the digital properties I create using the tools I buy from vendors. If I cannot open the files I create without paying the vendor in perpetuity, then I do not control access to my digital property. The vendor does. Unacceptable."

I get the concern, I really do. This represents rather large digital rights issues that don't pertain only to an Adobe Cloud membership.

But if you aren't using the software, you don't have to pay for it in perpetuity, that would be a choice that you, as user, makes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 12:01:06 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I get the concern, I really do. This represents rather large digital rights issues that don't pertain only to an Adobe Cloud membership."

Yes, this is true. The digital rights issues are deep and go far beyond Adobe.

But I think they've really stepped in it. Forcing every Photoshop user in the world into software rental is not gonna go over well. I predict they will eventually be forced to backtrack.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 12:07:24 am

[David Lawrence] "But I think they've really stepped in it. Forcing every Photoshop user in the world into software rental is not gonna go over well. I predict they will eventually be forced to backtrack."

Perhaps. The flip side is that the most pirated software in the world might be able to be legally purchased by more users than ever?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 12:25:40 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Perhaps. The flip side is that the most pirated software in the world might be able to be legally purchased by more users than ever?"

Absolutely. I have no doubt it will lead to more legal purchases because the cost of entry is so low.

At the same time, I also guarantee the authentication check will be cracked within a week of release. The people who want to pirate will continue to pirate. DRM doesn't work. It only penalizes honest users.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:18:24 pm

[David Lawrence] "[Jeremy Garchow] "It's not about the money, but it's about the money."

It's not about the money. It's about who controls access to your digital property.
"

I do get this. And yet...

I'm ambivalent. None of us actually owns the software now. We license it. I can see Adobe's point, as to why to do this. And, I can see value for me in the approach. I wish, for the sake of adoption, it had been less drastic. But maybe in the long run, that's a good thing too.

I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm much less pissed about it than I thought I would be.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:21:42 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's not about the money, but it's about the money."

Naw, it's also about company focus as many here have long argued. The spin has long been that "Apple doesn't care about the pro video user any more."

Not to play the Ancient Roman Auger trying to read the signs of the Gods pleasure or displeasure in the entrails of birds or anything... but I just read through the entire set of press releases issued today by Adobe.

And it did strike me that the term Premier wasn't even used until about 75% of the way down the copy.

If Apple deserves the rap as an "iDevices" company that sorta also does video - then judged by the emphasis in today's announcements, it's fair to think that maybe Adobe sees itself as mostly a "picture and printing" company" that sorta also cares about video. Sure it's an important part of their business, but it's doesn't exactly appear to be seen inside Adobe HQ as equal in importance to Photoshop or even their Digital Type Foundry stuff which got much stronger play early in the releases.

Probably doesn't mean anything. But it's one small thing I noticed in the press release mix.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 1:41:30 am

[Bill Davis] " judged by the emphasis in today's announcements, it's fair to think that maybe Adobe sees itself as mostly a "picture and printing" company" that sorta also cares about video. Sure it's an important part of their business, but it's doesn't exactly appear to be seen inside Adobe HQ as equal in importance to Photoshop or even their Digital Type Foundry stuff "

This has always been the case with Adobe, until the past two years. PPro was always the little brother to Photoshop, AE, Illustrator. And now with the chance to break PPro into the forefront, they piss all over themselves. No matter the eventual success of this move, it is a marketing blunder, confirming everything I learned in my 15 years of doing industrials, which is that most large corporations are headed by boobs that I wouldn't trust to wash my car.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+4

by on May 7, 2013 at 1:46:57 am

[Herb Sevush] "And now with the chance to break PPro into the forefront, they piss all over themselves. No matter the eventual success of this move, it is a marketing blunder, confirming everything I learned in my 15 years of doing industrials, which is that most large corporations are headed by boobs that I wouldn't trust to wash my car."

Well said.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig RussillRoyRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 5:04:26 am

Bring back the tape to tape workflow :-)

What happens when fcp7- a 32 bit app doesn't open on 10.x ... This is my issues, so you end up having 10000000 boot drives with every os ever made.

We are in the process of moving from fcp7 to either fcpx, premiere, smoke but not avid.

My thoughts on avid vary but as we do a lot of reversioning avids digital exporting just doesn't work for us, ie we do around 200 spots a day varying from pal and NTSC ad to 2398 and 2k

My thoughts on cc are we as a society are to reliant on connectivity, if there is an issue of connectivity then we are unable to create our craft, understandably this is only required once a month, but imagine if you cut your spot in cs5 and move to cc, wonder what happens if you can't open your assets / sequences down the line.

There really should be an option for download which is mac addresses locked to you machine, there is so many ways to attach watermarks to you machine, and he'll like you house, if burglars want to beak in they will !

Fcpx
FCP 7.0.2
FCPX 1.0..4
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

http://Www.delivercommercials.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn MillerRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 7:05:38 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Wow, I'm really surprised Adobe did this right now. I think this will put the breaks on a lot of people that were transitioning, or planning to transition, over to Adobe."

I agree, this is somewhat of a surprise. But I'm not sure it will translate into a massive switch away from Adobe. For those who need a suite of tools (Mograph/VFX, Paint, vector graphics, audio, etc)... will it make sense to adopt another NLE out of protest, especially when Premiere is looking so much better? I'm not crazy about subscription software either, but I wonder what the alternative is. It might be a fun exercise to research a bundle of tools that replaces the CS suite, but man... what a hassle. That said, I think I could replace everything in the suite but AE (if I had to):-)

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:22:20 pm

Totally agree about AE. Motion? Avid graphics? ehhhhhhh..... Argggg, it's really just stupid. And we, once again, are getting screwed. Wait til that introductory rate expires. Next, it'll be $59 per year, or $89 for just a month.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 7:35:30 pm

[Tim Vaughan] "Wait til that introductory rate expires. Next, it'll be $59 per year, or $89 for just a month."

Adobe can't raise the price too high. If people couldn't afford the subscription or couldn't raise their rates enough to cover the higher costs, they'd quit their subscriptions and find other products. Investors won't like seeing subscription numbers dropping.

Adobe has to keep subscribers happy in order to stay in business.

If Adobe is able to profitably raise Creative Cloud to a price where I can't profitably afford to use it, I am running my business wrong.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:58:21 pm

[Walter Soyka] "If Adobe is able to profitably raise Creative Cloud to a price where I can't profitably afford to use it, I am running my business wrong.
"

Having videotaped and sat through quite a few "efficient assortment" seminars for major retailers - I can tell you that there will be folks at Adobe looking at the optimum price point - and they will work like mad to make that price the exact number where lowering it by a percent will have more negative effect on bottom line sales than by raising it the same amount.

So the question is how many people are in the "price sensitive" group - compared to how many people are in the "price is secondary to features and utility" camps.

If part of this move is Adobe re-focusing on "facility level" players - the economics favor the latter camp and subscription prices will likely be forced higher spreading more of the cost over fewer seats.

With a subscription model the buying decision is ongoing - so the customer faces that decision over and over. Which is, to my thinking, less an "individual friendly" pricing model.

I wonder if Adobe is moving now partially banking on the fact that most of the leading economic indicators are trending a bit more positive. They may feel that people will iincreasingly think it's OK to "sign up" for a monthly credit card hit when things are looking a bit economically brighter. And while that may be statistically true, I'm not sure vast swathes of people "feel" that way yet.

Interesting times, indeed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:37:59 pm

Well, when there's no competition, you can charge/do whatever you want.

JT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 11:29:31 pm

Well, they didn't raise it this year. Why raise it next year? I've been paying $29/mo for a year now and am perfectly happy to pay $49/mo this coming year. The master collection upgrade was around $600 a year. Or you could skip a year and it was $900. So the prices are pretty much the same. And if you've ever held on to adobe software without upgrading for a year or two you quickly realize you have to to stay in business on current machines, OS, etc. if you're not using adobe for a living then probably elements would be the way to go. I wonder if they going to cloud that?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 11:09:00 am

[Bret Williams] "Well, they didn't raise it this year. Why raise it next year? I've been paying $29/mo for a year now and am perfectly happy to pay $49/mo this coming year."

Well, right now they want everyone singing the AdoGreed praises. Imagine if they doubled the price on existing customers at this point when they are trying to convince the rest of the world this is going to be great for them? Yes, the master collection is higher priced than production premium. However, I currently only need production premium. So why should I now have to pay double (after the introductory period, of course) for programs that will sit unused? And second, what's to stop them from deciding the price should be $100 per month? Or more? Why, in a month, that's a very little purchase! Heck, it's less than a tank of gas for a Suburban.
Up til now, you have had options. You could upgrade or you can choose to stay with your current version. You own that version, and maybe the upgrade isn't worth it, or times are a little tight. Heck, I'm still using a very functional 2008 Mac Pro desktop. I know lot's of others who are on previous version of different software and platforms because it works for them. The absolute reality is after you stop paying, you stop being able to access your work. And that's not how it should ever be.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 7, 2013 at 3:28:57 pm

[Tim Vaughan] "And second, what's to stop them from deciding the price should be $100 per month? Or more? Why, in a month, that's a very little purchase! Heck, it's less than a tank of gas for a Suburban."

If they jack up the price beyond the point people perceive it as a value customers will leave. Just like if Adobe doesn't keep the apps up to snuff customers will leave. They still have competition and that competition will keep them honest. Lack of competition leads to complacency (ex. Avid during the early/mid 2000's).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 4:19:10 pm

Agreed...However... If you currently leave a company now, --say Avid, you still can open an Avid project file from years ago utilizing the software you purchased at that time. In a year or two after the introductory prices are no longer offered and Adobe's got you completely, imagine the hassle and discomfort of trying to open a photoshop file or Ae file. Just sayin... You don't own it, you can't access it. Your gonna have to keep paying to open your project(s). $50 to open a photoshop file is a bit obscene. Ya just gonna have to keep inserting those quarters into the Adobe bank for your lifetime....

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

bob kimberlyRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 7:08:08 pm

and what happens when os upgrades render your editting software unuseable or obsolete....i guess we should never upgrade the os then either or we run the risk of becoming obsolete! sounds like grasping at straws to me.....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 7:45:51 pm

We still have a Apple g4 running 10.4 and FCP7 connected to a beta deck for tape export. Do this type of job for long enough, and you'll find out grasping at straws comes up more than you think. We still run older computers on our 3d renders. I've learned its best not to run in to something without some sort of backup plan, and this "forever pay us to access our software" raises red flags long term.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:27:07 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I agree, this is somewhat of a surprise. But I'm not sure it will translate into a massive switch away from Adobe. "

I agree. I was meaning more the people that were still testing the waters and hadn't committed yet. I guess I'm surprised that it wasn't a change phased in over a few years. Maybe Adobe just wanted to bite the bullet and go for a clean break?

I'm sure CS6 will be a hot item on ebay now, lol. I switched to CC last year and have been enjoying it but I'm also glad I have a copy of CS5.5 to 'fall back on'.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:41:03 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I agree. I was meaning more the people that were still testing the waters and hadn't committed yet. I guess I'm surprised that it wasn't a change phased in over a few years. Maybe Adobe just wanted to bite the bullet and go for a clean break?"

Ah I see, that's a good question. I'm looking forward to hearing from those folks. I'm also surprised they didn't phase in the subscription model... Adobe HAD to know that people (generally) hate sudden change.

[Andrew Kimery] "I'm sure CS6 will be a hot item on ebay now, lol. I switched to CC last year and have been enjoying it but I'm also glad I have a copy of CS5.5 to 'fall back on'."

Right! I am definitely holding on to my previous licenses... just in case. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:48:13 pm

[Shawn Miller] "enjoying it but I'm also glad I have a copy of CS5.5 to 'fall back on'."

Right! I am definitely holding on to my previous licenses... just in case. :-)
"

Me too. But, I'm not a broken up by all of this as perhaps I should be. Oddly, this reminds me more of the religious practice of tithing, than it does rental.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:05:47 pm

Praise the Lord.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:10:08 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Praise the Lord.
"

Give the Art gods their due. At least they're not asking for heads. Yet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 10:43:43 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Me too. But, I'm not a broken up by all of this as perhaps I should be. Oddly, this reminds me more of the religious practice of tithing, than it does rental."

lol - it does feel a bit like that. Between the applications and plugins you have to update every year, it is kind of like paying a tithe or a tribute.

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 6:25:00 pm

F#@K adobe I will look elsewhere edius,vegas and fcpx. I am sure they will capatilize on adobes blunder. They just devalued thousands if companies.

Richarf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:53:44 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I suppose we've had the answer since February.
"

Yes. I think we have. And, yet I'm still laughing at that, and must play iy one more time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 5:20:09 am

I just think that is hilarious.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:00:45 pm

Look,

Adobe is a fine company that makes excellent products.

If they've seen some internal data - or simply have a business vision that this course may be the only way they can attain their unique business goals, then that's what they need to do if they want to keep growing their business.

When Apple made their "big change" everyone trashed them mercilessly - in large part IMO, because very few people understood the full breadth of what they saw coming and how they needed to react to changes in order to remain relevant in a changing business landscape.

I, for one, am going to give Adobe the chance to make their case about the necessity for this change that hardly anybody gave Apple.

Period.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+5

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:08:10 pm

This cc might be good for the thousands of advertising, design studios and new users to try it out but thw other thousands of users will not do the cloud and will look else where if not to a hacked version.

Richard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:13:48 pm

[Bill Davis] "I, for one, am going to give Adobe the chance to make their case about the necessity for this change that hardly anybody gave Apple."

I have to give it to you, Bill. You are nothing if not consistent. Mad respect!

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Paul NeumannRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 7:24:05 pm

$19.99 a month for the first year.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:22:51 pm

When Apple made their "big change" everyone trashed them mercilessly - in large part IMO, because very few people understood the full breadth of what they saw coming and how they needed to react to changes in order to remain relevant in a changing business landscape.

The reason people trashed them mercilessly was because FCPX on release was a substandard product for most editors who were using FCP 7. You keep harping on this whole vision thing, but that's just pretentious. It has come a long way since, and I love it now, but I thought it was awful when I first got it.

As for Adobe's explanation, they've given it. And it's about their bottom line, as it was always going to be. All that BS of we're listening and working on Use Case scenarios was just that...I never expected them to follow through. They were always going down this route.

Ultimately, in this game, someone is going to screw you over. It's never about you/me/or anyone else - it's always about what's best for the corp. Make your peace with that, and you'll never feel let down.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:31:36 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "The reason people trashed them mercilessly was because FCPX on release was a substandard product for most editors who were using FCP 7."

Yeah, and the car was obviously a "substandard product" for people with an long established "workflow" built around the horse.

Things change. Deal with it.

And sorry, but I'm not going to buy the idea that editors are such a delicate and poorly adaptable set of creatures that the industry has to protect them from the big bad forces of change so they won't get their feelings hurt.

Those are NOT the qualities of the vast majority of the fine editors I know and respect. Those folk THRIVE in a bit of chaos and change. They see change and adaption as an important part of the driving force of creative expansion. They don't just spend their lives bitching about how HARD it is to change and adapt.

They make change WORK for them.

Period.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:38:39 pm

Did you read the rest of my post? Or did you just decide to rant based on the first sentence?

And your blanket assumption that people who don't buy into X are afraid of change and are unable to adapt is ridiculous. Sometimes things just aren't a right fit.

But if 'buying into some grand vision' makes you feel special, then by all means continue trying to diminish the rest of us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:02:12 pm

Of course. Let's give these poor upstarts a chance.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 8:16:11 pm

trashing before thinking seems to be the norm here...i sense alot of insecurity whenever a change is near! i still can't believe that people are upset at this....tech moves forward and you can stay put or move forward....i find it impossible to believe the earlier comments about people using g4's with 10.4 OS. in tech terms thats over a century ago! the price of this suite is so cheap compared to buying it outright and if you factor in the cost of yearly upgrades then it still is cheaper. i wont even mention the fact that a large majority of editors are running some cracked copy of CS 5 and never paid a cent to use it....our company used to spend thousand per month on flame licenses and we never owned the software....none of the projects created on it even exist now except as old beta tapes somewhere! so just keep using the old crap until you die or hop aboard the space ship to the future. i'm sure some of these people still think that D1 is still a viable format!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:25:13 pm

Adobe has written an open letter outlining their transition from Creative Suite to Creative Cloud:

http://adobe.com/go/creativevision

There's also an updated FAQ here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

Many here are looking at this from a pricing and control standpoint (with pitchforks and torches in hand), thinking it's just a new way to pay for the same kind of software they've always "owned" outright, but Adobe's creative vision published above also suggests a lot more to come in the way of interconnectedness and integration between products and services.

I think it's a big, bold idea with a lot of promise, much like Creative Suite was almost ten years ago.

Maybe it's not right for everyone, and I do understand why people would want perpetual licenses. I still think that subscription payments are not the existential threat that so many others are seeing, but are instead a workable, practical way to run a business.

I am really excited to see a developer put "connectedness" at the center of their offering. There may not be much to it now, but building infrastructure in the software around this idea of working together and working anywhere is very forward-looking.

If CC grows over the next few years at even a fraction of the pace that the rest of the Adobe apps have grown over the last few years, it could be a really compelling offering.

As everyone here is so fond of saying: time will tell.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:34:22 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Many here are looking at this from a pricing and control standpoint (with pitchforks and torches in hand)"

Walter,

As someone who is a bit ambivalent and trying to keep an open mind about the rental model, I can't help but think about your post a few weeks ago with the old floppy drive and (Beta? 3/4?) decks ...

You can't keep a machine in the corner for future dust off (when you might least expect the need) with CC ...

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:45:54 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "As someone who is a bit ambivalent and trying to keep an open mind about the rental model, I can't help but think about your post a few weeks ago with the old floppy drive and (Beta? 3/4?) decks ... You can't keep a machine in the corner for future dust off (when you might least expect the need) with CC ..."

If I could have rented floppy access for a month, I wouldn't have had to rely on a "machine in the corner." What on earth am I going to do with a 5.25" diskette drive now?

After my trouble finding a machine to read those diskettes, and then once I found a good working drive, actually accessing the data on them, I encourage everyone to keep their data as portable as possible. I'm currently advocating exporting XML as part of the mastering process.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 7:55:13 pm

[Walter Soyka] "What on earth am I going to do with a 5.25" diskette drive now?"

We look forward to future posts.

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:00:47 pm

[Walter Soyka] "If I could have rented floppy access for a month, I wouldn't have had to rely on a "machine in the corner.""

[Walter Soyka] " I encourage everyone to keep their data as portable as possible. I'm currently advocating exporting XML as part of the mastering process."

Walter,

Agreed, but this underscores the long term problem with digital (on all levels) and represents a shift or needed shift in maintaining into the future.

Archive, as a media problem, and as a meta-data or project problem, seems to be getting more complicated, not simpler.

(Wistful note about film negative.)

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:04:45 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Agreed, but this underscores the long term problem with digital (on all levels) and represents a shift or needed shift in maintaining into the future. Archive, as a media problem, and as a meta-data or project problem, seems to be getting more complicated, not simpler."

Yes, indeed!

And as our applications grow and diverge, the ability to meaningfully restore an archive at some point in the future diminishes.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:10:13 pm

[Walter Soyka] "And as our applications grow and diverge, the ability to meaningfully restore an archive at some point in the future diminishes."

Prediction:
Undergraduate in Digital Archeology, Masters Specialist in Motion Picture, Video, and Audio

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clint WardlowRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 5:35:04 pm

If Vivian Maier had been using today's technology her work might have been lost forever.

In the future, if someone buys the contents of a storage locker and it contains a bunch of thumb drives are they really going to be as accessible as the thousands of Maier's negatives discovered in such a manner?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 6:06:19 pm

She most likely would have mastered the technology enough to know that you output to something like Quicktime or AVI, or XML, and your work lives on. There's always a way to preserve your work - look at the all nitrate stock works which are now on the LOC, and had to be transferred to paper negatives:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-library-of-congress-unlocks-the...

There's always a way to skin the cat, as long as you assume that the current technology is going to go away...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 6:40:37 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "She most likely would have mastered the technology enough to know that you output to something like Quicktime or AVI, or XML, and your work lives on"

Not really. If you read about Vivian Maier's life, she weasn't really interested in promoting herself as a photographer. Most of the people in her life didn't even know she was doing it. The discovery of her rather spectacular body of work came by accident.

And it are these Under-ther-radar artists whose works will be more difficult to dig up in the future. Or even something that seems valueless today, but is of great worth to future generations.

As I have said before, the new technology is great in many ways (more people can participate than ever before), but it is also somewhat ephemeral. All but that which is valued at the moment may disappear like smoke. Would Vincent Van Gogh, who never sold a painting in his life time, have been preserved for future appraisal if he had worked today with modern technology?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 7:04:29 pm

There are many free digital storage services available today.

Perhaps, artisits of today, have more control over their own work than ever before becuase the digital work can live in multiple places.

Maybe we need to take responsibility and preserve and maintain our work if we want it to persevere.

Part of taking responsibility of the work is maintaining it and updating what needs to be updated.

I realize this can't happen in every case perhaps due to funding, perhaps due to negligence/lack of interest, perhaps due to unforeseen circumstances. I am not sure if Adobe has a role in this as you as artsist choose your tools.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 10:40:45 pm

Clint -

I would never have run across Vivian Maier's work if it were not for this modern technology. Thanks. I firmly believe that there's always someone who likes to take the unbeaten path, find the undiscovered, then turn others on to it. It's easier than ever now, but, as you say, it can be more fleeting...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 6:47:54 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "If Vivian Maier had been using today's technology her work might have been lost forever."

You mean like the majority of those films from the silent era?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 7:34:15 pm

[Gary Huff] "ou mean like the majority of those films from the silent era?"

Not just silent films, but home movies, exploitation films of the 60s,videotape, books and the like all turning to dust and vinegar. I book printed two hundred years ago has a better chance of surviving than one printed last week due to the acid in the paper.

It has nothing to do with Adobe. However, in the future if someone finds a drawer full of thumb drives, what will they do with them. Will they be as accessible as a drawer full of negatives or super8 films?

I've lamented about this before. I guess I just have to make my peace with the fact that we live in a society of disposable art (which it has been for a long time, but is speeding up with the technology).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on May 7, 2013 at 10:58:07 pm

I don't know Clint - when I look at what Google is doing with book scanning, what the LOC is doing preserving film archives to paper negatives, and what the Prelinger Archive is doing with ephemeral films such as early cartoons, home movies, training films and even "blue" movies, I feel that there's a movement going on:

http://archive.org/details/movies

And to take up the argument that Super 8, or other film formats are superior to finding an archive of thumb drives, or DVDs, I just don't have an answer. I have a library of live music I created from performance recordings of bands I was in from the 60s on, and no way to play them back. Granted, I could buy a 2 track R/R deck, but the same holds true for a thumb drive, or a floppy disk, or whatever obsolete format you're talking about. It gives one pause to think...there really is no universal archival format, but digital seems to be heading the right way.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 9:05:56 pm

Time will certainly tell. As previously stated I have had issues with CC. My internet provider? Maybe but I doubt it. As far as support goes I will admit that Apple charges you to put yo through hell. Adobe does t for free.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:03:34 am

[Walter Soyka] "Many here are looking at this from a pricing and control standpoint (with pitchforks and torches in hand), thinking it's just a new way to pay for the same kind of software they've always "owned" outright, but Adobe's creative vision published above also suggests a lot more to come in the way of interconnectedness and integration between products and services.

I think it's a big, bold idea with a lot of promise, much like Creative Suite was almost ten years ago.

Maybe it's not right for everyone..."

Walter it's a lovely manifesto and it might even make sense for those heavily involved with Illustrator and a lot of their design applications, but for a video editor interested in PPro, AE and Audition non of this "style synchronicity" matters, it wouldn't apply to me at all.

What this does demonstrate, once again, is how little Adobe cares about being a leader in video editing. This was always my problem with them as a company, but it seemed like they had responded to the opening given to them by Apple and were determined to make PPro the pre-eminent NLE, not just the little brother to their design applications. Apparently this was never really in their corporate nature.

So now we all know that whatever improvements Adobe may make to PPro they will always see it as a part, and not the leading part, of their design business, which means that when push comes to shove the interests of video editors will come behind the interests of designers and mograph artists. This doesn't mean it's not worth considering, but this is the perspective that it should be seen from.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:11:36 am

Herb -

So how do you explain the massive, sweeping changes made to PPro if Adobe doesn't care about the so-called miniscule part it plays in the overall product offering? Do you think they'd spend the huge number of man-hours developing and re-thinking PPro to be a real competitor in the NLE realm if they didn't think there was money to be made?

My take on it (for what it's worth - I do use Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and InDesign, in addition to AE and PPro) is that they've listened to the end users, and are trying to bring PPro up to where it should be as the leader in the NLE world, just as Photoshop, AE, and Illustrator are the leaders in their respective niches.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+4

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:43:41 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "My take on it (for what it's worth - I do use Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and InDesign, in addition to AE and PPro) is that they've listened to the end users, and are trying to bring PPro up to where it should be as the leader in the NLE world, just as Photoshop, AE, and Illustrator are the leaders in their respective niches."

I agree up to the point you ended with, but then I would go on to say that they then insist on distributing this product in a way that would please their design business and alienate their editing business. No matter how they improve PPro, and they have improved it greatly, they are a design business that offers an editing application. CC is a concept that makes a lot of sense to someone with your needs, but much less sense to someone with my needs since I don't use Flash, Illustrator, In-Design, or any of that Be-something or other stuff, nor do I need to synchronize my "styles" over a large number of computers - I just need to edit video efficiently.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:50:15 am

[Herb Sevush] "I just need to edit video efficiently.
"

I hear ya. It can't be more than once a year, and maybe less, that I'm bummed that I don't have access to the CS items beyond what is in production bundle. So, yes; getting access to the master bundle is sort of ho-hum for me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:36:33 am

[Herb Sevush] "Walter it's a lovely manifesto and it might even make sense for those heavily involved with Illustrator and a lot of their design applications, but for a video editor interested in PPro, AE and Audition non of this "style synchronicity" matters, it wouldn't apply to me at all."

If Adobe came out w/Pr leading the way I'm sure editors would be thrilled but then wouldn't all the publishing and graphic artist peeps get bent out of shape and start lamenting how Adobe doesn't care about them any more?

I think the proof is in the pudding and the changes made to Pr over the past few years (including the announced changes for the next version) make me think that Adobe is pretty serious about making Pr a, well, Premiere NLE. Will video/film editors ever be Adobe's #1 concern? Probably not and I'm okay with that. I just want editors to be enough of a concern that Adobe puts out a solid NLE that can help drive competition between the other two A's.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 7, 2013 at 2:50:50 am

[Andrew Kimery] " Will video/film editors ever be Adobe's #1 concern? Probably not and I'm okay with that. I just want editors to be enough of a concern that Adobe puts out a solid NLE that can help drive competition between the other two A's."

I'm nor OK with being an after thought. For years PPro languished without much attention, until Apple gave them this opportunity. With their corporate orientation on Design, I can easily see them letting the NLE side slide after this initial burst of energy if the market doesn't go their way. In the same way that i am uncomfortable dealing with Apple because of the tiny market we represent to them, I am wary of being a second fiddle in the Adobe universe.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 3:24:22 am

[Herb Sevush] "I'm nor OK with being an after thought. For years PPro languished without much attention, until Apple gave them this opportunity. With their corporate orientation on Design, I can easily see them letting the NLE side slide after this initial burst of energy if the market doesn't go their way. In the same way that i am uncomfortable dealing with Apple because of the tiny market we represent to them, I am wary of being a second fiddle in the Adobe universe."

FCP Legend was never first chair at Apple. An argument could be made that MC was first chair at Avid yet that didn't stop it from stagnating once they felt they had the keys to the kingdom. I know you are interested in Lightworks (as am I) but I doubt it is ever going to be the go to product for EditShare. Pr will probably never be first chair at Adobe but as long as these companies make compelling NLEs what does it matter if said NLE's are the #1 priority? Even for more editing-centric companies there's no guarantee they won't go out of business, be acquired or just lose their touch.

I guess in the case of least worst, I don't see Pr being a significantly worse risk than Avid or Apple over the next few years. If anything I think Pr has the most to prove and least to lose which is added motivation to press forward hard and fast.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

David MathisRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 7:26:01 pm

Before we know it there will be an Adobe or Not forum after this blunder. Adobe listens? What a joke! This will give Avid and potentially Autodesk Smoke more business. Thanks Adobe for listening, well not really!

Time to go put money the cuss word jar after thinking of some sentence enhancers to describe my thoughts at the moment.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 6, 2013 at 8:06:54 pm

i don't understand all the fuss.....in my country cs6 suite costs over $2000....if i pay 50 bucks a month it would take me 3 years to pay it off. in the past i have always done regular upgrades every year or so so it seems like very little money to pay for the latest versions of all the apps in the suite. if you figure in the cost of the software with the number of jobs you do very year then it amounts to hardly anything per job. don't tell me that on a $1000 job you cant spend 10 bucks on having the latest version of software for your job...i initially was so against the idea of "renting" software but in retrospect it makes so much sense. as long as they don't get greedy and start to gouge their customers. remember when it would cost thousands per month just to keep flame or henry current? come on people this is silly....i have even started to think about renting equipment...you get the latest kit that you can afford and at the end of it you just dump it off and get new stuff....no more obsolete hardware! who wants to own old machines that you can't even sell and old software that hardly works any more! sheesh....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Morten RanmarRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 8:41:36 pm

Well... some of us were stupid enough to purchase Subscription for Adobe products : (

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 6, 2013 at 8:39:40 pm

well this is great, great news. Not an ounce of FUD in the air.

Oh no wait - here it comes.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+5

John DavidsonRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 12:14:20 am

I was hoping for more from you, but I think this is probably what you're going through right now...

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 12:42:19 am

General concerns:

1. Too many different products want to move to subscription. Once you add all of these up, it really becomes a relatively large monthly nut for small users.

2. Many small companies buy per-project, because the cost of the job pays for the software or hardware needed.

3. The advantage of CC is that your software is current. OTOH, this can outrun the capabilities of your hardware. When that happens - should you choose not to upgrade your gear - you no longer have the advantage of the latest, greatest software. Many users only upgrade on alternate versions.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 7, 2013 at 1:10:04 am

And what's the rationale in excluding Lightroom from the upheaval?

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 7, 2013 at 1:16:18 am

[Oliver Peters] "And what's the rationale in excluding Lightroom from the upheaval?
"

It's available in the AppStore?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 1:25:40 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's available in the AppStore?"

They could pull that, I guess.

Another couple of interesting thoughts.

1. Adobe apps are written as web services, I believe. In theory the app could be redesigned as only a software front end for a cloud-based application. That's the basis of Anywhere. Down the road, might the "end game" be true SAS for Adobe?

2. Does the structure of CC get them past all the goofy SOX restrictions? Since there's never a "new, upcoming" product as an item for sale.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2013 at 1:50:54 am

[Oliver Peters] "2. Does the structure of CC get them past all the goofy SOX restrictions? Since there's never a "new, upcoming" product as an item for sale."

I am also thinking along these lines.

It might also be more favorable for local trade laws, I'd imagine.

Adobe is a global company, much more so than Apple was at first.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 7, 2013 at 1:52:44 am

[Oliver Peters] "2. Does the structure of CC get them past all the goofy SOX restrictions? Since there's never a "new, upcoming" product as an item for sale."

This is one reason I think they didn't have a prolonged co-existence of perpetual licenses and CC. Presumably it would lock them into the annual update cycle they are trying to get away from or risk headache-inducing versioning issues between CC users and perpetual license users.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Aindreas GallagherRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 11:02:40 am

ewww. jesus thats a little grim john. If I'm being honest I didn't hear about it until hours after the event. Sunny bank holiday mondays don't roll around that often.. The main thing thats annoying me is that the amount of FUD around it - and seriously, check any forum, and any comments thread on any story - are going to get in the way of premiere being the anointed son. All they had to do was sustain perpetual licenses for maybe 24 more months and they would have been gold. Its just annoying this outcome more than anything.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on May 7, 2013 at 4:47:08 pm

I want my "Hitler hears about CC only" and I want it now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: Premiere Pro CC it is then?
by on May 7, 2013 at 4:59:42 pm

LOL, ok, lemme try one more then, with a little lighter touch :).

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]