Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Aindreas Gallagher20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 5:16:05 pm

for those not there:

http://apps.avid.com/events/2013/nab2013/mc7demo.html

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 5:47:19 pm

I saw this presentation. It was a good one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil GoodmanRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:10:08 pm

yea the interplay stuff is pretty cool.

All the new features, while not a long list are ones that make a huge impact. Background transcoding, that actually works in the background, and doest stop when you edit (FCPX) is huge, as well as the dynamic folders and flexfit. Master fader is great too, and the clip gain thing is something id use all day.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve ConnorRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:15:31 pm

There's a lot about PPro and FCPX here but Avid only seems to come up when it's a question of their survival. So I'm interested just in terms of it's NLE, where can Avid go from here? what do Avid users still need?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HancockRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:21:21 pm

True resolution independence (2K and 4K projects, custom project sizes), better AMA responsiveness (lessening the need to transcode/consolidate, but MC7 may address some of that), better effects handling, more timeline improvements (nudge clip up/down a track, clip enable/disable), improved color correction toolset, scripting/automation ability, ability to export quicktime reference with AMA or long GOP footage, closed captioning encoding, etc...

There are still a ton of things Media Composer could use to improve the editing experience, but I'm really excited for what MC7 promises. Huge steps forward with LUT application and reframing shots using source media resolution.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:41:08 pm

I think they could really use more buttons, floating windows and modes. They don't have enough yet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:59:04 pm

I know you're being sarcastic, but I appreciate how customizable the Avid interface is. I mean, if you don't want buttons - get rid of them:

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:24:43 pm

[Michael Hancock] "I know you're being sarcastic, but I appreciate how customizable the Avid interface is. I mean, if you don't want buttons - get rid of them:"

Totally agree. Very useful. Very customizable. And, as I've been moving back into it, I really get how tablet friendly it is.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:32:52 pm

Of course. But geez for some sort of tutorial/demo of new features, her Avid workspace was a complete mess. Didn't feel very well scripted either. It was like the guy was continually reminding her of stuff she was forgetting.

And when did clip levels become new? What's the difference between clip levels/keyframes and rubber banding? I haven't been an Avid guy for about 10 years, except the occasional trial download. (or recent attempt to transcode/consolidate and then send through Automatic duck a sequence to FCP 7. (nightmare)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:08:34 pm

[Steve Connor] "There's a lot about PPro and FCPX here but Avid only seems to come up when it's a question of their survival. So I'm interested just in terms of it's NLE, where can Avid go from here? what do Avid users still need?
"

To answer your question, we probably need to redefine what an Avid user is. Every time I went by, the Avid booth was pretty seriously packed, and the per capita of suits with elevated thread count was relatively high. Interplay was really what was on sale. Editors, albeit much cherished, were secondary targets at the show, which is probably the way it should be for NAB. But its also about where Avid's going. While Adobe is kind of talking about Anywhere, Avid is living and breathing Interplay.

The several improvements to MC 7, as well as the price restructuring, are all welcome, and I'll definitely upgrade, but the reason to choose or not choose Avid right now isn't really about new whiz-bang features for individuals, but about stable interoperability in a larger system. And, of course, whether or not its important to you as an individual to be able to interface with one of those systems by knowing and using MC.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Nicholas KleczewskiRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:10:02 pm

Actually background transcoding does stop when you are editing if Avid feels it needs to too keep up. This was confirmed by Bob Russo at the Supermeet. Not a big deal in my opinion just didnt want people to get their hopes up.

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris KennyRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:01:18 pm

[Nicholas Kleczewski] "Actually background transcoding does stop when you are editing if Avid feels it needs to too keep up. This was confirmed by Bob Russo at the Supermeet. Not a big deal in my opinion just didnt want people to get their hopes up."

This is a feature, not a bug. It's not like these systems can't transcode while you're editing because of some technical limitation. They're designed to stop transcoding while you're editing so that interactive performance remains good. Resolve does the same thing with rendering.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Aindreas GallagherRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:55:47 pm

also - am I hallucinating, or was that an avid editor dragging a clip to the timeline from the source on the 20 minute mark?

I though avid usually blew up the mouse and set your hand on fire if you carried on like that.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:10:43 pm

I thought he was playing the part of producer. I cringed when he decided to mess with the edit, then didn't know how to. At least it seemed accurate! :-)

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:20:36 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I though avid usually blew up the mouse and set your hand on fire if you carried on like that.
"

I often do such things, but then, I'm just a producer/editor and would undoubtedly deserve to be tossed from the club.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn MillerRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:01:59 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "also - am I hallucinating, or was that an avid editor dragging a clip to the timeline from the source on the 20 minute mark?"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:17:11 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "also - am I hallucinating, or was that an avid editor dragging a clip to the timeline from the source on the 20 minute mark?

I though avid usually blew up the mouse and set your hand on fire if you carried on like that."

i too cringed at that, i was like whats he doin, noooo. lol

People talk alot of smack about how old and creaky it is, and how its not enticing to new editors, but the real deal is that it jsut works, and its tried and tested, you can trust it.

My wish list is multicam improvements mostly. Wish there was a feature that let you collapse a sync map into a group clip.

Also nudging a clip up and down a track with the KB would be welcome as would clip disable.

More audio tracks, bypassing FX, etc .

Resolution independance would be nice, but i have no need for it as now or in the forseeable near future.

Bottom line is editing in avids timeline is a dream, it just feels right.

That said, im totally eager to try out CS "Next". the improvements look great, and i just opened CS 6 for the first time to kick the tires a bit in lew of "Next" getting here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David PowellRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:15:43 am

Anyone know if mixdowns/transcodes from within the nle happen in the bg or is it limited to dynamic folder media transcoding?

It seems that it wouldn't help as much if you're going the AMA, selects, transcode route.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:17:27 pm

normal transcode happen in the background too. You can see her do it in the demo. You edit, during, and then relink to the .new clips once they finish.

also just saw the flex control work on transcoded media as well as AMA, and can be ignored or applied at will to transcodes as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:28:02 pm

[Neil Goodman] " i just opened CS 6 for the first time to kick the tires a bit in lew of "Next" getting here.
"

wait for 7. wait for 7. wait for 7.

I mean do bash away, I am - but they fixed a living ocean of tiny things.

watch this stuff: https://vimeo.com/63091543

most of the videos are highly informative - including the native prores dnx stuff.

It is minted I tell you. minted or your money back.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan StewartRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:34:58 pm

I think he was just as panicky as we all were..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: 20 minutes of the NAB media composer demo.
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 3:38:23 pm

Yes, very impressive.

ISIS + Interplay probably still costs the earth though. But I'm really digging the interface.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]