Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Greg AndonianThe FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 6:20:41 am

Just like the LAFCPUG in LA did a while back, the user group that I've been going to down here in San Diego has changed its name to something that isn't specifically focused on FCP, as it used to be. Until recently it was known as the "San Diego Final Cut Pro User Group".
It is now the "San Diego Mac Video Production User Group".

Thoughts?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 9:13:25 pm

[Greg Andonian] "Thoughts?"

If change is afoot, why limit to Mac users?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Chris HarlanRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:10:08 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Greg Andonian] "Thoughts?"

If change is afoot, why limit to Mac users?

"

One might wonder this, yes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 10:02:02 pm

My first thought regarding user group name changes was about this video, where Philip Hodgetts interviews Micheal Horton about the beginnings of LAFCPUG. He says dropping the F shouldn't be a surprise, since the first year of the group they had talked about other NLEs, especially the last five years have not been FCP-centric (just no PCs LOL), and the change had nothing to do with FCPX.

Interview starts at 2:18, name change question at 5:29- http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1076-real-time-logging-with-lumberjack...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:06:40 am

Here's the potential issue.

Time is precious. I can see the viewpoint of the pro editor who wants to remain familiar with a handfull of NLE programs. For that kind of user, a meeting where you see two or three demos of capabilities on different programs, or OS's is just fine. But most people with an interest in editing aren't like that, IMO. They find the tool they prefer, and they want to concentrate their learning on THAT tool. Watching demos of other tools is off-topic for them.

Now a users group can dedicate nights to a tool - Premier night this month, AVID night next month, FCP-X night in two months... But 4 meetings a year just isn't enough to build sustainable interest, IMO. You miss one meeting on your primary tool and you go 6 months between sessions. Why bother?

IMO, users groups only thrive when the build communities of support around a shared product.

I don't give San Diego much chance to thrive in the new config unless they re-build a software identity. If their users want that to be another NLE that's fine. But trying to be a generic "editors group" is folly, IMO, because editing is seldom generic, it's applying a particular tool to a particular problem. And in the Internet era, it's not like the old days where the users group is where the expertise is concentrated. Today that's in places like this, accessible to anyone.

I could be wrong - but I don't think so about this.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

James DaughertyRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 7:42:22 pm

IMO, users groups only thrive when the build communities of support around a shared product.

The problems that editors share are universal to the all the different NLE's. Editors are not working alone. Audio Editing, Color Correction, Special Effects, everything has issues. The days of the one guys does all is gone you have to be able to work with other people. Everyone expects perfect.

SDMVPUG is going to be about the process and less about what button to push.

Workflows and management are now key to getting the job done. Editors may now be forced to take a shower and talk to people. I don't know if I can deal with these changes but I am going to give it a try.

James Daugherty
President SDMVPUG.com
San Diego Mac Video Production User Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 8:44:37 pm

Editors are not working alone. Audio Editing, Color Correction, Special Effects, everything has issues. The days of the one guys does all is gone you have to be able to work with other people. Everyone expects perfect.

I'd disagree with this. The offline cuts that I've had to deliver have become increasingly sophisticated over the years - it's no longer acceptable to just cut the story together with some basic sound design and pass it off to the VFX/Sound Guys for more elaborate work. Agency clients expect high quality sound design and quite a bit of VFX work in their offline cuts these days - everything from tracking to roto, paint, some basic set extensions etc. Color appropriate offlines are also the norm in the gigs that I get.

So I appreciate having the Logic filters built into my NLE. I like being able to search my SFX libraries within my NLE without having to open Bin after Bin and all the clicking that follows. While I'm not a big fan of the Color Board, I like the fact that I can use power windows within my NLE without a performance hit, without triggering long render times in a plugin and without duplicating layers etc.

Expectations have changed. An editor who's still stubbornly ignoring this reality is doing his career a disservice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James DaughertyRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 7:27:48 pm

I changed the name to SDMVPUG (San Diego Mac Video Production User Group) so that the meeting could encompass more solutions (i.e. Adobe, AVID, Autodesk, BlackMagic, etc.). The MAC part is because we are a SIG (special interest group) of the SDMUG.org who is the non-profit with the insurance rider.

FCPX is not a pro tool and the people who use it are not as obsessed as professionals at mastering their tools. That makes for low turnout at meetings. FCPX fun to play with and I use it for ingesting project and doing first pass color correction. That is about what I can use it for. I don't want to hear from people who say they are using it to edit a 20 million dollar movie. You can use a iphone to shoot a TV series but I won't.

We used to get 30-40 people at a meeting now we get 10. FCPX is a dud. Larry "The Voice" Jordan is even doing Adobe tutorials. The era of FCP is over. It is now every man for himself.

My last thought is if Apple doesn't come out with a really good mac pro I will be the King of the Hackintosh's in San Diego.

I am building one now and it really fast under Windows 7 and even better under 10.8.3. Testing phase to be completed next week.

Now get back to work.

James Daugherty
President
San Diego Mac Video Production User Group.
Formerly the San Diego Final Cut Pro User Group
http://sdmvpug.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 8:21:39 pm

FCPX is not a pro tool and the people who use it are not as obsessed as professionals at mastering their tools.

Ah, the condescension. Always good to pop in to this forum for a quick patronising put down.
Thanks James. I'll just get back to sucking at my job now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jeremy GarchowRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 8:25:37 pm

I think I might have to go delete those spots I completed that are broadcasting nationwide (and the UK) just because they were edited in fcpx.

for shame, my client is going to be pissed!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve ConnorRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 8:28:02 pm

[James Daugherty] "FCPX is not a pro tool and the people who use it are not as obsessed as professionals at mastering their tools. "

I can think of some other names you could change your user group to.....

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

David EaksRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:48:18 pm

[James Daugherty] "FCPX is not a pro tool and the people who use it are not as obsessed as professionals"

Oh crap! I better give all my clients from the last year or so their money back. This is going to put me into some serious debt because I have already spent most of that money buying cameras and switchers and Macs, Oh My!

And I should unsubscribe from the plethora of FCPX information that floods my inboxs. Stop using stuff like page2rss and ifttt to feed me email notifications as soon as there are updates to certain FCPX related sites.

*sarcasm off*

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 10:06:06 pm

[James Daugherty] "FCPX is not a pro tool"

I am not an FCP lover largely because it doesn't meet my needs at present. But there is quite
a bit of evidence that there a a number of folks out there whose needs it does meet who are
producing professional work with it. So to refer to as "not a pro tool" is more than a little bit
goofy.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 10:31:11 pm

It still amazes me that this argument is going on about "pro" or "not pro". The tool you use to make great art is incidental to the talent behind the tool. You could cut a great movie on Microsoft Movie Maker given a good story, good footage, and a talented editor. It's the person behind the NLE who is "pro" or "not pro". The tools the editor chooses are a matter of personal choice...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:14:49 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "It still amazes me that this argument is going on about "pro" or "not pro". The tool you use to make great art is incidental to the talent behind the tool. You could cut a great movie on Microsoft Movie Maker given a good story, good footage, and a talented editor. It's the person behind the NLE who is "pro" or "not pro". The tools the editor chooses are a matter of personal choice..."

I refer to Justice Stewart (can we call this pulling a Potter?) with respect to "pro" software -- I can't define it, but I know it when I see it.

There's a je ne sais quoi that separates something like Windows Movie Maker from something like Media Composer -- or maybe even something like FCPX 10.0.0 from more current releases.

I'm not saying you can't get good work done without "pro" tools, whatever they are, but there is certainly something that separates a tool built for fun from a tool built for work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: The FCP user group that I've been going to has changed its name
by on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:25:48 pm

I'm with you there, Walter, but it's not the iMovie or Movie Maker software I'm really getting at. Anyone can create a magnum opus with any of the packages we're talking about - FCPX, FCP7, AVID, PPro. It's the hair-splitting that's used when trashing any of the products that gets me. Granted, I haven't changed NLEs much over the years - Edit* to AVID to PPro in a 16 year span. And I'm an producer/animator/graphic designer more than I am an editor. So maybe the fine points don't bug me as they do others. My feeling is that there are so many features in any of these packages that there's always another way to skin the cat...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]