Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David CherniackComprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:21:45 pm

I haven't seen this anywhere yet so maybe Kevin just posted it.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/04/the-next-version-of-premiere-pro...

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:28:09 pm

If I read this right:

Display project bin structure in Media Browser for importing elements of a project editing.

does that mean I get to peek inside another project to grab bits for the current one? because if so that answers a fair bit of the one project at a time issue, given you can already grab sequences (which I only figured out six days ago...)

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David McGavranRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:26:12 pm

Hi Aindreas,

Yes you are understanding correctly. If you use the media browser and browse into a .prproj. You can see all the bins, sequences and clips. Hover scrub the clips. Import the bin, clip or sequence. (Also it no longer duplicates masters)

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:36:53 pm

[David McGavran] "If you use the media browser and browse into a .prproj. You can see all the bins, sequences and clips. Hover scrub the clips. Import the bin, clip or sequence. (Also it no longer duplicates masters)"

I replied below to your adobe chum there - but that clarifies things quite a lot - I actually presumed you would only have access to a tree file hierarchy without preview - throw in hover scrub for footage and that really is extremely close to full access to a second project. Fair ball.

Stupid question - Is this basically avid territory now?
Can someone else on their PPro access my project file while I'm working on it and grab a bin that I have named say "grab this bin"?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:16:52 pm

It gets even better than that.... Lets see if this workflow sounds familiar.

You have project A and I have project B.
I browse into your Project B on a network drive and look into a bin.
I can grab the masters and load them into my source monitor with your ins/outs and edit into my sequence
If you update your project my mediabrowser will update with your changes.
Also since we don't duplicate masters it is really easy to setup a workflow here.

Looking forward to hear from you guys after you play with this.

Cheers

Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David LawrenceRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:22:47 pm

[David McGavran] "Looking forward to hear from you guys after you play with this."

Can't wait! ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:35:43 pm

dave - seriously.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris HarlanRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:38:39 pm

Me too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Greg AndonianRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 1:06:51 am

THAT sounds really cool indeed, especially since it doesn't duplicate the masters anymore (YESSS!!!).
Another question... Could this work between an editor and an AE guy? Could someone start doing AE stuff on one sequence of a project while another one is being edited?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:37:16 pm

I'll answer myself - it does

Project and media management⁃ Importing individual clips, sequences, and other items from project files

I know other people probably have other concerns and needs for multiple projects - but an awful lot of the time I'm opening another project to grab something.
This is pretty good, because in a sense, I'm basically getting to browse the project window for all the assets in the other project once i drill in in the media browser.

that covers at least a fair few use cases, because it is still defo one project at a time. I guess it might be for a bit.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin MonahanRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:11:37 pm

Aindreas,
You are correct. You can look at individual elements of a project in the Media Browser, and then just grab those bits to import into your project. I believe you could even call this having multiple projects open at the same time as it has the same functionality. It does in my testing, at least. Pretty slick.

Keep your eye on that blog post, as I'll be adding links to the best tutorials for those features. I also will be blogging about the new features.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I'll answer them if I can.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Franz BieberkopfRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:28:06 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "Let me know if you have any further questions. I'll answer them if I can."

Kevin,

Thanks for the info and the invitation to questions.

Re: Warp Stabilizer & PPro

Is the VFX version available in Premiere Pro as well, or only AE (with previous functionality still available in PPro)?

Previously the warp stabilizer info would be stored in the PPro project file, causing crazy bloat (one shot could easily be several hundred MB of stabilizing info). Has this changed?

Franz.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David CherniackRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:31:13 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Previously the warp stabilizer info would be stored in the PPro project file, causing crazy bloat (one shot could easily be several hundred MB of stabilizing info). Has this changed?"

Good question. It's one of the reasons I started using dynamic link to AE to do all my warp stabilizing.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:40:18 pm

The new warp changes are AE specific. The project sizes will be much smaller with Premiere Pro Next. Save and Load will also be much faster.

Cheers

Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:28:27 pm

sound. that is a flat out gigantic update feature list.

And yes, being able to browse and pick the contents of a second project is actually pretty close for a lot of work cases with multiple projects. I generally get a second project up if I want to get something out of it.

savage update.
As the man says: "if its good enough for the Coen Brothers, it's good enough for me."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:15:09 pm

[David Cherniack] "I haven't seen this anywhere yet so maybe Kevin just posted it.

Yes, that was posted just this morning. Thanks for the link.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig ShieldsRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:22:19 am

Does the playhead now snap to the cut point after doing a Ripple? It's small but it has always bugged me since leaving FCP7. It makes the most sense because after doing the trim and hitting Play Around, I want it to play around that cut and not the middle of the clip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Benjamin MullinsRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:35:24 am

Does the playhead now snap to the cut point after doing a Ripple?

I hope so, it would be a big time saver. Overall very happy with the new features though, and I know it's been said before but the fact that people from Adobe actually interact with this forum certainly helps with confidence and trust in the product.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:50:53 am

[Craig Shields] "Does the playhead now snap to the cut point after doing a Ripple?"

If you drag with the tool, then no, it behaves the same way. You might look into two other alternatives using keyboard shortcuts which puts the playhead on the cut faster and easier when doing a ripple trim.

1. Ripple Trim Next/Previous Edit to Playhead (not available in FCP7)
2. Extend Edit (which works on Ripple and Roll edit selections (FCP7 worked on Roll selections only).

Ripple Trim to Playhead was a feature I use really often. I never reach for the Ripple Trim tool any more.

Please make a feature request if you want the playhead to snap to the edit point after a ripple trim: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Erik LindahlRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:11:51 am

▪ GPU-accelerated Wipe and Slide transitions
FINALLY!!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik LindahlRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:14:38 am

Really sad / odd they haven't done anything with the scopes. A vital tool few (any?) NLE does really "right". FCPX's looks great, not sure about their accuracy though, FCP7 looked ok but where quite buggy. PrPro CS6 I can't comment on accuracy but boy do they look like a sad panda.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:38:44 pm

While the look of a software scope might be important subjectively to the end user, it's the accuracy of the scope which matters. I've been trying to find some information on the web with regard to WFM accuracy in software, and it seems to be all over the place. I did find a very interesting article by a colorist, who proposed that the graticule (overlay on the WFM display) is no longer relevant in the digital world:

http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?cat=10

And coming from broadcast, we never trusted anything but a hardware scope, but of course, that's only relevant when you're outputting for broadcast. I had read that the Premiere Pro (this was back in CS4) scopes only used a very limited section of the clip to read levels, and I've also read that FCP earlier versions only used the safe portion of the signal. Has anyone done any real research into the accuracy of these scopes?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:57:46 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] " Has anyone done any real research into the accuracy of these scopes?"

A good question. It would be nice to hear someone from Adobe on the subject.

BTW there are new scopes in Speedgrade. Check out Patrick Palmer's overview

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1303_30759_nab.html?sdid=KEY...

You'd think that those scopes would be as accurate as any. Maybe Patrick should be asked on the Speedgrade forum.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance MoodyRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:22:13 pm

Do lists of new features for FCPX appear in the Premiere forum?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:25:01 pm

[Lance Moody] "Do lists of new features for FCPX appear in the Premiere forum?"

Probably not, but it appears there's more excitement over here about the new Adobe features than there is on the PPro forum!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:31:56 pm

Yes, I see that, what with the Premiere managers supporting their products here in the FCPX forum.

There is no doubt that Premiere is a fine NLE.

One has to wonder at the need some have to come here to justify their decision to go over to Premiere by badmouthing Apple's equally fine NLE.

Lance

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 3:48:20 pm

Equally Fine is a totally different experience to different users, depending on the type of work they do, their particular leaning toward certain NLEs...you get it. I have yet to see any bad mouthing from the Adobe representatives here, just honest support, and a true attempt to provide those users who've made the jump feel comfortable in Premiere, and by the way, push development of PPro to give an Equally Fine experience. By the way, I have yet to ever see an Apple rep on either forum - shame on them for hiding behind the curtain...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:03:00 pm

No, I didn't mean to imply that anyone from Adobe was badmouthing Apple here.

That stuff is done by what appears to be a dedicated small group of posters who hate what they think FCPX is. It's fascinating to see their need to stick around in this forum.

As FCPX gets better (which it certainly has done), these detractors appear less and less reasonable (to me anyway). And more and more funny.

Lance

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:31:31 pm

[Lance Moody] "That stuff is done by what appears to be a dedicated small group of posters who hate what they think FCPX is. It's fascinating to see their need to stick around in this forum."

This is the *debate* forum. Perhaps you're confusing it for the FCPX Technique Forum over here.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:37:27 pm

Lance -

It's a very interesting group here - I personally have never set my hands on any version of FCP, but I do animation work for people who do. I like the hard and fast arguments - to a degree - and sometimes the heavy-handed, blind support on either side of the argument is good for a laugh; sometimes I even learn something that I wouldn't expect to. Why move on when you're having fun?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:12:52 pm

I, Lance, agree with Lance. There's surprisingly very little excitement at the PPro forum even though this new version does look very promising.

But it does get a little old seeing the usual suspects along with the Adobe team living here instead of one of the Adobe forums... I realize it's a debate forum, but it is still the FCPX debate forum :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:18:18 pm

Lance - what is it that you don't understand about the word "debate" - it would imply that there are two sides, at least, and since you can't debate the argument that FCPX is better than FCPX, well, you get it...I hope...besides, "Final Cut Pro or Not: The Agreement" wouldn't draw flies...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Post removed.

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:39:27 pm

Getting a little personal again......

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:40:57 pm

Because every time I reply to you, I expect a Merlot fueled rant, and you're just so easy to bait! But mostly because if you actually read your post before you published it, you'd see what a dufus it makes you appear to be, and I know you're not a dufus. :>)

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:41:27 pm

Not cool. Let's discuss ideas, not people.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:01:07 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Why are you always a pretentious ass in every reply you write?
"

Sigh. I like you Lance, but you can be one grumpy dude. Maybe chill, huh?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:16:49 pm

I love it guys - I'm the grump? Fair and balanced we are not...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:28:37 pm

[Lance Bachelder] " love it guys - I'm the grump? Fair and balanced we are not...
"

Well, yeah, man. You definitely get the grump hat. You're the only person I've seen on his forum actually threaten to physically fight someone over postings. And you've done it several times. I know, because I was one of them. But, hey, I take it in the old school John Huston-y, Errol Flynn-ish, Bogarty way I think its meant. As I say, I like you. I have no doubt you would be terrific to work with or for. But, yeah--you do flash out a bit.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:39:18 am

Grump hat accepted... but I didn't start anything on this, all I did was agree with the other Lance - Joseph drew first blood in his usual condescending way.

Yes I have a serious problem with folks getting personal via the comfy protection their internet connection. The amount of disrespect shown by certain regulars here toward others with equal or greater industry experience gets ridiculous at times.

I love debating, arguing, yelling at each other whatever... then grabbing a beer together - that's the way I roll - but some have to get personal every freaking time they disagree - I just think if you're gonna get personal all the time, it's gonna catch up to you at some point.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:42:17 am

[Lance Bachelder] "I love debating, arguing, yelling at each other whatever... then grabbing a beer together - that's the way I roll - but some have to get personal every freaking time they disagree - I just think if you're gonna get personal all the time, it's gonna catch up to you at some point.
"

Well said! You going to Vegas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 6, 2013 at 3:55:22 am

Wow, Lance - you've obviously got it in for me. Take a look at my many posts on the other COW forums. I've been around here since the very beginning, and my prime directive is to help people out, not flaunt my "equal or greater experience". If I have an answer to some one's question or issue, I give back. All I've gotten from you was snide invective. I'm only on this forum because I find it to be of interest. You, I don't find the least bit interesting. This is the last post I'll waste on you...by the way, I'd say the same thing to your face...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:33:44 pm

Seriously, can we all drop the ad hominems altogether, go back to our corners, and forget this sub-thread ever happened?

This forum is interesting to me (even if the question of FCPX or not isn't -- use whatever works!) because of people's different perspectives and experiences, and I'd consider it a loss for all of us if anyone didn't post because someone else here made them feel unwelcome.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:42:19 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Seriously, can we all drop the ad hominems altogether, go back to our corners, and forget this sub-thread ever happened?"

I don't know, man. I'm feeling feisty today. I think we're going to have to fight. Tennis racquets at dawn? I'm tapping Lance as my second. Who you got?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:08:09 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I don't know, man. I'm feeling feisty today. I think we're going to have to fight. Tennis racquets at dawn? I'm tapping Lance as my second. Who you got?"

I don't know, mate -- you did just call him grumpy. Are you sure Lance has your back?

I know everybody posting here can take a little heat, but combative back-and-forth does nothing to encourage other readers to become posters themselves. This forum is just more fun when it's civilized.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:14:43 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Are you sure Lance has your back?"

What? You think he might mess with the strings on my racquet? Delate my balls a bit? (That's a set up if anyone want it.)

[Walter Soyka] "I know everybody posting here can take a little heat, but combative back-and-forth does nothing to encourage other readers to become posters themselves. This forum is just more fun when it's civilized."

Agreed. Then, we'll have to duel it out over chess. You catching NAB this year?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:19:31 pm

[Chris Harlan] "You catching NAB this year?"

Sadly, no. I had been planning on going again, but I had to bail last-minute as I have some business keeping me in New York.

I'm bummed about it -- it's been great meeting people in person whom I've only gotten to know online. Hopefully I'll be back next year!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:21:21 pm

[Chris Harlan] " Delate my balls a bit? (That's a set up if anyone want it.)"

Of course, that should read "deflate."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:47:47 pm

On another note--you going to NAB?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HancockRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:21:24 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "...the FCPX debate forum"

The FCPX or Not debate forum. Adobe is obviously part of the or not.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:36:21 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "There's surprisingly very little excitement at the PPro forum even though this new version does look very promising. "

There was a thread about the sneak peek there, too. The Premiere Pro forum is a lot like the FCPX Techniques forum, in which FCPX updates are also met with little fanfare relative to here.

Those forums are dedicated to the specifics of the applications we have today, the nitty-gritty stuff of actually using specific applications to get work done. Announced but unreleased updates are of little use to an editor struggling with an NLE problem or quirk today.

This forum tends to be more general and forward-looking, and it's here more than anywhere else on the COW that examine the broader implications of all the chess moves that all the NLE vendors are making.

Honestly, I think it would be strange NOT to discuss the next version of a major NLE here, regardless of developer, which is why I started the Adobe sneak peek thread.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+5

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:00:02 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "shame on them for hiding behind the curtain..."

However, they do listen to user requests and the updates have reflected this. The fact they they aren't engaging in discussion on here doesn't mean they're not listening

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:13:08 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Joseph W. Bourke] "shame on them for hiding behind the curtain..."

However, they do listen to user requests and the updates have reflected this. The fact they they aren't engaging in discussion on here doesn't mean they're not listening"

Maybe they're listening. Maybe not. The point is who would know?

The development improvements to X may have been on the drawing board before the release of 1.0. But I'll bet they couldn't help listening to the squawk that little event kicked up :) I hope some day some ex Apple employee spits out his muzzle and tells us what went on inside Cupertino's doors that week. The walls must have run with tears of blood.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:16:33 pm

[David Cherniack] "Maybe they're listening. Maybe not. The point is who would know? "

I do, I've had direct contact from Apple based on forum posts here as have others

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:31:24 pm

[Steve Connor] "I do, I've had direct contact from Apple based on forum posts here as have others"

Well, I have to say that still seems rather closed door-ish of them. And I do mean them as a corporate policy, not as individuals. I'm sure as individuals they'd love to be here and I wish their corporate policy would allow it. Frankly, I don't see why it doesn't, nor has anyone provided a good reason other than that's the way Apple is.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:56:15 pm

[Steve Connor] "it appears there's more excitement over here about the new Adobe features than there is on the PPro forum!"

the thing I find a little fascinating is that the dude who published a comprehensive - really good - list of things that needed fixing in PPro 6, (I posted it here just before 7 got released) - he originally posted it to the adobe user forum - he noted on his own blog, where he published the list again, that he got some serious pushback from long term PPro users, who were beginning to get seriously irked at the focus on the migrating FCP horde that adobe was pivoting to address. Given that the scale of the changes were beginning to wreck their heads.

It was an interesting wee thread - the guy who published the list was really civil and apologetic about stepping on toes, but there is a fact that PPro is, by virtue of numbers and expectation, being half co-opted by former FCP heads who really, really, really want it to land as a functioning step off from FCP7 - there are a ton of them.
I could possibly be one? (to be read in the style of "I'm Ron Burgandy?")

At one point one of the long, long term PPro dudes on the adobe forum berated adobe for, among other things, removing the jog wheel controls from 5.5 (remember them? just below the viewer? they were god awful and took up acres of UI space)

basically one of the senior adobe dudes came on and pretty much said he had come on board adobe (from FCP) at ver5 and said it was pretty much his mission to pull those controllers the minute he saw them. You could argue that, in a way, no more than apple, Adobe have been quite dispassionate about the habits and preferences of their long term editors - nothing as dramatic as a bananas magnetic timeline, but if I had been a long term PPro user pre 6 (and god love you if you were) then I might feel a tiny bit drowned out right now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:09:54 pm

Removing those jog wheels made me take my first serious look at Premiere in a long time ( as well as getting rid of the horse)

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:32:11 pm

I'm seriously down with this release - bar ranting on here, in terms of jobs, I've been sitting in my nappie with FCP7 pretty much the entire time to now.

but I'm going with 7, and all the million little headaches that will arise - 7 is take FCP off the metaphorical dock time for me. I'm just kind of incredibly curious to get into it.

(As an aside - Did you read the adobe dude about the project interplay? - its not multiple projects - but you can dive into other active users live projects, scrub their footage, basically pick things out at will for yourself? Their project contents even dynamically update in your media browser - the whole enchilada. no duplicate master clips either. In small interplay groups, going from edit guys to mograph guys and back - that's rather a communications workflow biggie.
I can flat out see a host of work cases for that kind of thing in the design editing hand off world.)

They worked their asses off on 7, there's just a million things done.

I like 6, I've gotten to know 6 pretty well, but 7 just looks fundamentally right somehow to my head. I'd ditch FCP tomorrow if I had it. flat fact.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:37:45 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "but if I had been a long term PPro user pre 6 (and god love you if you were) then I might feel a tiny bit drowned out right now."

Being a long term Premiere user (1.5 :) I wasn't bothered at all by the FCPheads signing on. In fact just the opposite. It brought a welcome breath of fresh air and (clearly) an added fusion of resources from head office into the software. Of course some of the requests want to re-make it into FCP 8 (maybe 9) but most just want to improve work flow efficiency.

But some people get fixed in their ways and resist change. It's a planetary problem.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:55:15 pm

[David Cherniack] "But some people get fixed in their ways and resist change. It's a planetary problem."

My quote of the year so far!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:27:15 pm

[David Cherniack] "Being a long term Premiere user (1.5 :)"

er, apologies bud - "god love you" sounds quite the johnny come lately on reflection :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:57:52 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "er, apologies bud - "god love you" sounds quite the johnny come lately on reflection :)"

Well..er..it's almost ten years...though the first 5 or 6 felt a lot longer than that, I'll tell ya...so I feel justified by the "long term-ese".

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:29:03 pm

I'm also a PPro user, having also been an Edit* and AVID user, and I'm as happy as a clam at high tide that the FCP people coming on to PPro have made Adobe look around, shake off the dust, and hit the ground running. Granted, it's a major business opportunity for them, but it also pushes the NLE model forward. It's always been a race between NLEs - it was Media 100 vs AVID, then it was AVID vs Edit*, then FCP vs AVID, and now FCPX vs AVID vs PPro (not necessarily in that order, either), and all the feature creep and improvements were good for all of us...I think PPro has some things to learn from FCP7 AND FCPX, and vice versa. No one of them is going to kill the other; just push it forward.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:04:48 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "No one of them is going to kill the other; just push it forward."

amen to that.

Also it might be my one true love - but FCPX's clip native inspector architecture for audio channel enabling, and the native CC with power windows for masking - masking that runs like butter in HD on a bog standard imac with multiple effects - is just ridiculously powerful thinking on their part.

If that third party tracking data rumour stuff is true..

but it basically boils down to whether or not apple are willing to throw up their hands and re-introduce formally opaque complexity to software of this kind.

are they willing to publish paragraphs like this for instance:

http://provideocoalition.com/images/uploads/scott/ppro_next/PPro_Next_timel...

that menu actually comprises current presets and the option to save a preset along with with other general actionable options.
Yes it's a paragraph -but that is adobe directly working their asses off at break neck speed to get it in - and relying on a relationship.

that is adobe producing a range of statements and options to their editors - on a right click. Like any advanced software, it implies intimacy.
Asking the editor a number of questions about what the editor wants to happen at any moment in GUI or action terms.

I rather completely dig it. That is no way an impenetrable list - at all - given I've been at this for a while, it's just a very nice menu.

the question is: are apple broadly happy where they are strategically, (and hey I suspect they are. they are rearing editors no matter what anyone says)
but - if not,
are they willing to get back, to some degree into the weeds, as they view it, with that kind of expressed understood language back and forth? Software asking multiple questions?

It seems to me that apple have a problem insofar as they are unwilling to alter first apprehension simplicity of the software, because there was a possibly stroke of genius from jobs to simply demand fundamental legibility at the outset, with unlimited-ish feature complexity scaling on the quiet back end.
Mind you - God knows the guys at FCPX are trying it now.

As an idiot, I think there is possibly an issue with the single brick interface that the FCPX developers are banging up against, and - to be fair - the tilde key stuff seems like them trying to get out of the jail that Jobs - if the Ubilos first cut rumours are true - put them in.

anyone would be curious what short hand latitude given to the FCPX team would look like.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:00:59 pm

[Lance Moody] "Do lists of new features for FCPX appear in the Premiere forum?
"

Why would they? You do understand that this is a debate forum about which NLE to choose, and not an FCP X forum, proper--right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:15:19 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Why would they? You do understand that this is a debate forum about which NLE to choose, and not an FCP X forum, proper--right?"

I think it's easy to get mixed up. PPro users have a broad forum which is mostly techniques but with user discussion about the software as well. What has happened with FCPX is that the Techniques forum is exactly that, FCPX users who want to talk about the software come on to here which as you say is actually a very useful broader debate forum about NLE's.

I know people get sniffy when forum name changes are suggested, but the Techniques forum should really just be the FCPX forum. Perhaps some of us should move our user discussions over there?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:36:18 pm

I think the only one who cares about a name change is Tim, but since it his call...

I have noticed that the shortcut menu below the banner was never changed to reflect the original forum name change. Changing that might help some.

I wouldn't want to lose any discussions here, so I hope people don't go. I do wish they wouldn't get so incensed when the topic moves away from X for an afternoon or two.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:50:54 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I wouldn't want to lose any discussions here, so I hope people don't go. I do wish they wouldn't get so incensed when the topic moves away from X for an afternoon or two.
"

To be fair that doesn't happen that much, it's the biggest strength of the forum that we DO debate all NLE's and I think it's been an unexpected bonus of the launch fiasco that this forum has proved to be so useful.

However discussion that is purely about FCPX does get easily sidetracked here and perhaps some of it might be better placed in the Techniques forum.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:16:40 pm

[Steve Connor] "To be fair that doesn't happen that much, it's the biggest strength of the forum that we DO debate all NLE's and I think it's been an unexpected bonus of the launch fiasco that this forum has proved to be so useful.
"

Well actually, I think pretty much every time there is a Premiere thread of more than three or four posts, someone manages to chime in with a loud, deeply-felt "What's all this, then?!" That's generally followed by a small posse of hearty X enthusiasts who get mildly belligerent and vaguely personal. Then, that is usually followed by yet another debate about forum name change, which gets either vetoed or ignored by Tim. Its fairly predictable.

Premiere seems to be the big trigger. No one goes OT bonkers over an Avid, Resolve or Lightworks thread. Nor do I recall it ever happening with the occasional Edius, Vegas, Smoke thread. There seems to be something about Premiere in particular that sends sparks to the territorial part of the brain.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+4

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:27:14 pm

Chris -

I wonder whether it has something to do with the perception, especially in the AVID and FCP camps, that Premiere Pro was a joke for so long (or was perceived as one, should I say), that people are still throwing stones at something they've never used, or used so far back, and were frustrated, that they never got over it. I remember when we got the first of our three Edit* systems, and the hardware package came with an early version of Premiere (I don't even think it was Pro yet). We just tossed the box and software onto the shelf, and never even thought of installing it.

Premiere Pro has come a long way, and the next year or so may just be its' time to shine. Add to that the fact of Adobe's involvement and engagement of users and even potential users, and it's easy to see why it could be a draw to the "disenfranchised" FCP users, and those who haven't "got it" with FCPX yet, or have decided it doesn't fit their workflow.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:38:45 pm

Joe--I think its more of an appreciation of how far Premiere actually has come.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:16:32 pm

Lets be fair- it's come a country mile. that 7 update list goes on for quite a very long way.

(The AE cinema 4D pipeline integration I found pretty much shocking as well. Given they also threw in a decently functioning Cinema 4D for kicks as well)

I really wasn't kidding below: I want to edit in 7. Exactly as soon as it comes out, that is my primary editor. That actually is the end of FCP for me.
I was nearly fibbing up until now, but that release genuinely does do it for me personally.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:26:30 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "(The AE cinema 4D pipeline integration I found pretty much shocking as well. Given they also threw in a decently functioning Cinema 4D for kicks as well) "

That was an impressive move.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I really wasn't kidding below: I want to edit in 7."

I think we got that

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Exactly as soon as it comes out,"

Which is the next BIG question!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:33:59 pm

It's the month of may dude.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:56:03 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "It's the month of may dude."

Must have missed that announcement!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:54:06 pm

[Steve Connor] "However discussion that is purely about FCPX does get easily sidetracked here and perhaps some of it might be better placed in the Techniques forum."

Agreed. I always feel a bit bad when someone new wanders into this forum with a purely technical question that would be better suited in the "techniques" forum.

I notice there's a new link at the bottom of all posts (beneath the social buttons) for " Move to Apple FCPX Techniques Forum". Perhaps we should be using that more often?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jeff MeyerRe: Comprehensive List of Premiere Pro's new features.
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:02:16 pm

This forum is for discussing FCX in light of the competition. Discussion about the competition seems pretty relevant.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]