Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Lightworks coming to the Mac

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Oliver PetersLightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:16:16 pm

Looks like a fun NAB. From a just-released EditShare press release:

Lightworks 11.2

At NAB 2013, EditShare will be previewing the new Mac OS X version of Lightworks. In addition to the Windows and Linux versions, this makes Lightworks the first NLE to be truly cross platform across all major operating systems. It continues to attract a growing user base with 450,000 registered Windows users, and the floodgates are about to open for the Linux and Mac OS X communities. As always, Lightworks is available to users – for free – forever. More and more professional editors are returning to Lightworks to edit major commercial feature films and projects. A training certification program for Lightworks will also be introduced later this year.
New features in Lightworks 11.2 include:
• Added support for AJA I/O hardware
• Added support for screen capture using the record panel
• An improved import panel; now behaves similarly to bins, mark/park clips before import
• Native H.264 MOV playback
• Added Curve effect to FX Colour Correction effects

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

David LawrenceRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:21:10 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Looks like a fun NAB. From a just-released EditShare press release:"

Exciting news, looking forward!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Lance BachelderRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:03:50 pm

Good news! I've been playing with the latest version on my PC and it's really cool once you get the hang of it. Looking forward to loading it up on my new iMac...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 4:14:59 pm

Does anyone know the hardware requirements will be for mac?

Can it work just as well in the field as it does in the studio?

What about transferring projects or reconnecting media?

What about conform?

What about working on non editshare shared storage?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 4:20:33 pm

Lots of good info on their website Jeremy.
http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=...

Re Mac ... until they go into public beta then we can only guess on the requirements, but you could look to their current PC and Linux requirements for clues.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 2, 2013 at 5:11:14 pm

The specs seem rather generic. I guess that's a good thing.

i7 or higher and 1GB of whatever GPU.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jok DanielRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 12:17:41 pm

Lightworks is excellent stuff, and a real contender IMO. I know it has a slightly "legacy" feel to it, but that's really skin-deep and in many ways it's one of the most modern NLEs of all.

It's built on a solid database foundation which leverages metadata and search functions. It promotes a highly tactile and fluid approach to editing, with amazing trim tools as its crowning feature. It's really strong in sharing scenarios (with multi-user timelines updating in real-time and other unique features). And its interface is open and free-form, and easily accommodates a wide range of creative approaches.

Where most NLEs can feel a bit rigid and boxed-in, the Lightworks interface is like an open canvas. You can put clips in transient or permanent bins, or just plop them on the desktop and arrange them storyboard-style. You can easily use a sequence as a source clip (or vice-versa!) You can open as many source viewers as you wish, and arrange them in multiple "rooms". Set up separate rooms for all the different scenes you're working on. Or one for you and one for your assistant, working on a separate machine. It has the most malleable interface of any NLE, and IMO it's also the best-looking interface, if you care about such things (and many Mac users - myself included - certainly do!)

Sure, it has a somewhat eccentric UI, but so what? So do 99% of iPad apps, and no one seems too bothered about that. Doesn't the rise of iOS and skeumorphism spell the end of standardized, one-size-fits-all UIs anyway? (Come to think of it, Lightworks would probably work really well on a tablet.) Besides, hardware controllers seem to be all the rage again, and Lightworks has one of the best.

The EditShare guys are really cool and as far as I can tell they are in it for the long haul (check out http://www.redharknews.com for an indication of their commitment and ambition!)

There's already a strong community around Lightworks, and the Linux crowd have just come onboard. I expect we'll soon see a rich eco-system of plug-ins and third-party software. Personally, I can't wait.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 3:23:15 pm

[Jok Daniel] "Doesn't the rise of iOS and skeumorphism spell the end of standardized, one-size-fits-all UIs anyway?"

Skeuomorphism needs to seriously die.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve ConnorRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:40:44 pm

[Gary Huff] "Skeuomorphism needs to seriously die."

Dead already apparently, Ive is in charge now

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 2, 2013 at 7:26:54 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Gary Huff] "Skeuomorphism needs to seriously die."

"

Yeah, I mean, seriously guys. Who needs an analog style mixer built in to our digital tools?

Die skeumorphism. Die.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew KimeryRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 10:00:40 pm

I'm curious to kick the tires. Of course I say that about a lot of software and don't always find time to actually do it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 2, 2013 at 11:03:09 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Yeah, I mean, seriously guys. Who needs an analog style mixer built in to our digital tools?
Die skeumorphism. Die."

I presume you are saying that in jest, as it doesn't really define skeumorphism.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:42:38 am

[Oliver Peters] "I presume you are saying that in jest, as it doesn't really define skeumorphism."

Definitely a nod towards humor. I don't always get the funny part right.

Although, if you believe such things, Wikipedia says this:

"Many computer programs have a skeuomorphic graphical user interface that emulates objects in the physical world. An example of this trend was the 1998 RealThings package.[12] A more extreme example is that many music synthesis and audio processing software packages closely emulate physical musical instruments and audio equipment. Functional input controls like knobs, buttons, switches and sliders are often careful duplicates of the ones on the original physical device being emulated. Some software even includes graphical elements of the original design that serve no user interface function: handles, screws and ventilation holes for example.
Even systems that do not employ literal images of some physical object frequently contain skeuomorphic elements such as slider bars that emulate linear potentiometers and tabs that behave like tabbed file folders. Skeuomorphs need not be visual. The shutter-click sound emitted by most camera phones when taking a picture is an auditory skeuomorph - it does not come from a mechanical shutter, which camera phones lack, but from a sound file in the phone's operating system. Another example is the swiping hand gesture for turning the "pages" or screens of a tablet."

If we want to take it one step backwards, the death of tracks is the death of skeumorphism, or am I taking this too far?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:48:49 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "If we want to take it one step backwards, the death of tracks is the death of skeumorphism, or am I taking this too far?"

too far! :p

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:09:14 am

[David Lawrence] "too far! :p"

Be careful for what you wish. ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:13:15 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "If we want to take it one step backwards, the death of tracks is the death of skeumorphism, or am I taking this too far?
"

Yes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 2:23:04 pm

Yes, you are taking this too far. It's about visual design, not function. A panel with sliders that functions like a physical mixer is not skeumorphic. A panel with aesthetics that look like a real SSL or Neve is. Most audio plug-ins, like amp emulators, are skeumorphic. A mixer panel like FCP7's is not. I kind of like a lot of skeumorphism if it is done tastefully. For example, the Focusrite filters versus the built-in Logic filters.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 3:07:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It's about visual design, not function."

That's an oxymoron isn't it?

[Oliver Peters] "I kind of like a lot of skeumorphism if it is done tastefully. "

And that's the point I'm making.

Bad design is bad design, skeumorphed or not. A bad function functions badly.

We can't conveniently choose when skeumorphed design needs to die to fit our will, we just need better functioning design.

A touch based analog mixer in a digital space, at least in my opinion, is skeumorphed, as much as it hurts.

I don't have a problem with skeumorphism, poorly functioning design is what gets in the way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:17:42 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "That's an oxymoron isn't it?"

Huh? No I don't think so. You can have good or bad visual design independent of good or bad function.

[Jeremy Garchow] "A touch based analog mixer in a digital space, at least in my opinion, is skeumorphed, as much as it hurts."

I would disagree. Skeumorphism involves a faux-3D visual representation of a real-world object. If you have the exact same function in a flat design, it generally isn't thought of as skeumorphism. A prime example would be the source/record window in TouchEdit versus FCPX/PPro/MC. TouchEdit is skeumorphic and the others aren't.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:58:37 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Huh? No I don't think so. You can have good or bad visual design independent of good or bad function."

Of course you can. You said "it is about visual design and not function". Skeumorphism is not only about visual design. It also has a very functional aspect, especially in the realm of content creation software. Many things look as analog as possible, which may or may not be the best way to present and manipulate the information especially with one input device of a mouse. Skeumorphism is not inherently bad design or function, but it certainly can be both.

An audio mixer in an NLE is skeumorphism, and it follows a real world track based metaphor and history.

The absence of tracks/mixer in fcpx, therefore, is the absence of that design. There is no skeumorphism, and Gary Huff has his wish.

How's that for far fetched?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:20:35 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I would disagree. Skeumorphism involves a faux-3D visual representation of a real-world object. If you have the exact same function in a flat design, it generally isn't thought of as skeumorphism. "

[Jeremy Garchow] "An audio mixer in an NLE is skeumorphism, and it follows a real world track based metaphor and history."

Nonsense. Using this logic, every button in a computer UI would be a skeumorph as well because clicking on them mimics pressing physical buttons. Oliver's right.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:31:17 pm

[David Lawrence] "Nonsense. Using this logic, every button in a computer UI would be a skeumorph as well because clicking on them mimics pressing physical buttons. Oliver's right."

A keyboard is not mimicking a real life interface.

Jkl does not mimick the front of a VTR, for example.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:43:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Jkl does not mimick the front of a VTR, for example."

Sure it does. {{ { || } }}

Having it on a computer gives it magic powers that aren't possible in the physical world. That's why skeumorphism is lame. There's zero UI need to mimic the physical appearance of the physical materials of the real world objects.

Skeumorphism is gratuitous mimicry of physical material design, not functionality.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:47:40 pm

[David Lawrence] "Sure it does. {{ { || } }}

Having it on a computer gives it magic powers that aren't possible in the physical world. That's why skeumorphism is lame. There's zero UI need to mimic the physical appearance of the physical materials of the real world objects.

Skeumorphism is gratuitous mimicry of physical material design, not functionality."

So we can finally agree that tracks and all that come with it aren't necessarily necessary and there could be better ways of working and presenting multichannel audio?

Sweet. I feel like we are really getting somewhere!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:07:45 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So we can finally agree that tracks and all that come with it aren't necessarily necessary and there could be better ways of working and presenting multichannel audio?"

Nope! :P

Tracks in a DAW or NLE UI have nothing to do with their physical counterparts.

Why isn't Apple using the magnetic timeline in Logic X?

If there are better ways of representing multichannel audio in a 2D graphic UI, how come after 20+ years there still aren't any examples? Maybe you could show me one.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:01:45 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "An audio mixer in an NLE is skeumorphism, and it follows a real world track based metaphor and history."

Sorry, I disagree.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:59:20 pm

Jeremy, skeumorphism is a particular design concept, not a physical law that underpins nature. You are trying to extend the concept beyond its rather artificial bounds, in a way that is just not useful and dilutes the term. All GUI skeumorphic design is representational, not all GUI representations are skeumorphic. Just because the FCP mixer has the layout that resembles the layout of a physical mixer does not make it skeumorphic. I suppose there is a tiny bit of room to argue about whether faders technically might fall into a skeumorphic concept, but since they provide an actual function in one of the most precise visual ways possible--dial, slider or numeric entry are really about all you can do to make this function happen--I would argue vehemently that it is not. There are many metaphors used in computer software. A file system with folders would be one. Those metaphors get extended visually so that in OS X, for instance, a folder is represented as a blue manila folder. Is that skeumorphism? I would say not. Does this visual metaphor have some ideas in common with skeumorphism? Yes. Is there a solid line where one becomes the other? Probably not. Again, it is an artificial design concept.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:43:34 pm

We will agree to disagree.

It is convenient to say what is skeumorphism and what isn't depending on what someone may find useful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:51:07 pm

There is the dictionary, of course. ;-)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skeuomorph

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:58:46 pm

And for another POV from a designer:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669879/can-we-please-move-past-apples-silly-fa...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:10:35 pm

[Oliver Peters] "And for another POV from a designer:"

Flat and minimal is the new UI black. It makes me happy. Here's a good article:

http://abduzeedo.com/design-trends-2013-flat-and-minimal

Die skeumorphism, die.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:01:19 pm

[Oliver Peters] "There is the dictionary, of course. ;-)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skeuomorph"

Yep, it's about material, not function.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:03:36 pm

That's just the surface. The Wikipedia article I linked to earlier goes a little farther even talking about digital interface and not fake pottery rivets.

Perhaps you don't accept a mixer as skeumorphism. That's fine. To me, it goes beyond David's example of a button and a button. While that is a perfectly fine example, it doesn't ecompass the entirety of a skeumorph.

Lets take it back on topic.

Lightworks, can't wait to see it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:12:47 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Lightworks, can't wait to see it."

On this we agree! ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 4, 2013 at 12:59:27 am

And back on topic:

http://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/491-lightworks-for-os-x-to-be-reveale...

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:31:25 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "We will agree to disagree. "

I disagree.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:23:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "A touch based analog mixer in a digital space, at least in my opinion, is skeumorphed, as much as it hurts."

I think you're confused about the meaning of skeumorphism in a digital graphic UI. Let me help:

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Steve ConnorRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 3, 2013 at 8:27:09 pm

[David Lawrence] "I think you're confused about the meaning of skeumorphism in a digital graphic UI. Let me help:

"

That big red button just makes you want to press it! Perhaps skeumorphism isn't so bad after all

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Bob WoodheadRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:54:40 pm

[Steve Connor] "That big red button just makes you want to press it! Perhaps skeumorphism isn't so bad after all"

the shiny red button......

http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/space-madness-clip-2.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Craig AlanRe: Lightworks coming to the Mac
by on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:20:56 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Gary Huff] "Skeuomorphism needs to seriously die."
"
I have mixed feelings here. If the icon is still active in the material world then its symbolism is intuitive and depending on the design not superfluous. If, on the other hand, it is anachronistic then the design may feel both dated and clunky. I agree that to add a graphic border around a digital calendar as if were meant to hang on a cork wall is ugly. On the other hand, the Manila paper folder icon to me is the best icon of a digital folder yet developed. I suppose you could cut the folder icon and just leave the rotating triangle after or before the name and it would take less space. But we even call it a folder. We don't call it a wall calendar. Ive is an incredible designer but I'm not sure he is a software designer. It will be interesting to see. Should we still be calling it a reel and use a filmstrip graphic to symbolize media? The ad under this reply for shutterstock obviously thinks so.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]