Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

How do you rename an event?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alex BairdHow do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:41:19 pm

How do you rename an existing event in FCPX? I have tried double clicking on the event to get a edit name cursor with no success.

Thanks,
-Alex-

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:49:18 pm

If you click twice on the name (not the icon) you can rename it. I'm unclear on what the ramifications (if any) are by doing so, but don't immediately see a problem with this.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex BairdRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:53:04 pm

Thanks for the info. However when I double click on the name of the event I get no edit ability.
Any Ideas?
-Alex-

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad JordanRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:59:00 pm

Click once to select the Event and then click once over the name. It will enable the name edit. If you change it, it immediately changes the event folder name in Finder. I checked it. Looks like it keeps everything updated. You have me curious on what if I change imported clip names.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:04:31 pm

Hmm...It must be something I am doing. I cannot get the name to edit after clicking on it twice. I have tried one click, wait, another click..no dice. I have tried two quick clicks. Right mouse click does bring up the context sensitive menu. Can't seem to find a keyboard combo for edit name either.

Try a reboot and see what is up.
-Alex-

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew CornelesRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:10:16 pm

Just wait a few months, Apple is not stupid, they'll add that functionality back in - besides, this is a new start. Can't live in
the past.

sorry ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:13:46 pm

Likely to be so.

I wonder if background tasks/rendering prevents renaming.

I guess that renaming in finder is not recommended

-Alex-

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Geoff DillsRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:36:09 pm

Works fine for me...very similar to the way you rename files in finder, click once, wait a beat, click again and it is highlighted, ready to edit.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry HofmannRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:14:29 pm

That's the behavior I'm seeing here too...

I have seen mice cause problems with this though.. If I have a fresh battery in my wireless, it sure seems to act better.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Harry FearRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jul 4, 2011 at 2:35:06 pm

Your right it was due to background processes running which I cancelled after a CMD+9! Thanks for that common sense tip!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan DortchRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:41:02 pm

You can also push Enter to rename an Event like renaming in After Effects. It will change the name of the folder on your hard drive as well.

I did encounter a bug where I couldn't change the name of a folder in the Projects browser. All the double clicking and pushing Enter in the world did nothing. I quit out and changed the folder directly in the Finder and FCPX reflected that change.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nevin StyreRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:27:06 pm

I had a similar problem, couldn't rename a project in the project manager. then adding folders would do nothing, I kept trying & eventually after quitting and restarting FCPX I could rename it, there was also 10 new folders I had created that weren't showing up before I restated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom HalversonRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:16:42 pm

I think I've stumbled onto the key here. Like so many things in X you cannot rename events while background tasks are running. (So even if let's say it is analyzing video which has just been imported into one event you cannot rename a completely unrelated event! Just dumb.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Reid AltRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 6:50:44 pm

I didn't have any background tasks rendering, and I still couldn't get it using the Double-Click option. The only one that worked for me was Jonathan Dortch's suggestion. Tapping Enter does seem to bring up an editable field. Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ed DurbrowRe: How do you rename an event?
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 5:35:31 am

I was having the same difficulty: could not get it to rename even though I turned off background tasks, hit enter, clicked twice with a beat etc. I tried renaming in the Finder and that was a big no no. It immediately created a folder with my old name and then I couldn't revert the name of the original back. What worked for me was quitting, getting rid of the new folder in the Finder, reverting back to my original folder name, and then reopening Final Cut Pro X. Then the renaming worked as described. So, definitely don't rename in the Finder. Quit and restart FCPx if nothing else works.

E D
Saitama, Japan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]