Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP-X - Application or Platform?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bill DavisFCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:04:19 pm

I get that X is fundamentally just a computer program just like any other.

But given the reality of the FCP "start from scratch" approach - I found myself wondering if what we're seeing in terms of the development pace is less a reflection of some kind of "catch up" race - and more a reflection that the new programs core design encourages that?

Metaphor alert (turn away if you hate these!)
Fixed walls have advantages, but so do cubicles. And if you want to grow fast, cubicles are a lot more flexible than walls. I've long argued here that the primary model of X was always to re-engineer a new, more modern CORE. To essentially, re-imagine the power, HVAC, data lines, and the internal structure - then to build the rest in modules that would attach to and enhance that core.

Yes, in these updates, enhancements have been applied to the main program. But the BIG changes have more often been in re-imagined modules like Multi-cam - and now the new Multi-channel audio suite.

Doesn't this reality indicate that Apple is treating FCP-X less as an "application" and more as a "platform."

Motion and Compressor showed us that from the start Apple saw that "platform attachments" don't even have to reside inside the core program - they can essentially be external constructs. So we have both internal and external modules surrounding a core. This seems similar to the old "suite" software idea, but I think it's pretty different.

Essentially with a "platform" intent - I can imagine possibilities for all sorts of what are currently "pie in the sky" ideas - enabled because the software was re-envisioned from day one as "core and modules" rather than a suite of discrete programs with reporting links between them.

It makes me dream. What else could this model encourage? I'd personally LOVE to see an enhanced "database access" module some day into and out of the Event Browser.

Perhaps another class of user would love a "remote webcasting" module or a "WiFi camera array monitoring" module. What else could be possible? The mind boggles.

As an admitted fan of the program, am I just running on the adrenalin of another rapid, really useful update?

I hereby call upon the skeptics and grumblers to do your duty. Show me the folly of my imagination!
I probably need the cold splash of disagreement and perhaps even a healthy dash of derision to soothe my fever'd brow!

; )

Food for the debate, anyway, if merely a side dish.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:26:32 pm

[Bill Davis] "Essentially with a "platform" intent - I can imagine possibilities for all sorts of what are currently "pie in the sky" ideas - enabled because the software was re-envisioned from day one as "core and modules" rather than a suite of discrete programs with reporting links between them... I hereby call upon the skeptics and grumblers to do your duty. Show me the folly of my imagination! I probably need the cold splash of disagreement and perhaps even a healthy dash of derision to soothe my fever'd brow!"

I am sorry to disappoint you, Bill, but I actually agree with you. FCPX could be an amazing platform instead of just an interesting application. In fact, I think opening access to the Event Browser will be critical for capturing high-end marketshare.

I guess the cold water is that Apple has a mixed history of openness. I am somewhat less than cautiously optimistic on this, but it is nice to dream.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:33:25 pm

Colour room - The Colour board serves as optimised quick run through - if you want more, launch colour room for fullscreen single viewer colour correction - de-prioritised timeline sits below smoke style, you still get those lovely, supremely responsive power windows, now with tracking, curves, slide over before after splitscreen - say a bunch of aperture style colour correction elements, huds etc.

the coding for the colour correction and effects in FCPX is killer, fast as hell, that has to be the real hard work.

Its impossible to see Apple doing much substantial with the colour board as it stands in a single brick user interface without tabs - there's only so much room. Although as garchow points out - the fact that red gets a floating hud for its metadata and stuff is interesting.

but bottom line - a colour room.

in the - bo knows football sense of things - Apple just have to know how to put that together pretttty well.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:41:08 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "but bottom line - a colour room."

A shiver is running up my spine, Aindreas.

You're starting to exhibit both clarity and sense ...

It's a bit like the - "realigning worlds" scenes from Inception. Disorienting to say the least.

But pleasant, none the less.

Maybe we can both drain and wash a few of the gasoline filled bottles we keep handy on our shelves...?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:52:35 pm

arf - shiver up the leg even? love that chris matthews line.

dunno - my bottles are filled with poitín. makes gasoline look like milk. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poitín

the crazy thing is Apple could probably quite happily do an awful lot of this stuff, I'm past throwing that "they don't have the pro-apps people" line, that's really obviously not true. they're caning it out.

the thing that drives me mad is that Apple could very likely make the editing software of my dreams. But - how dare they - Apple aren't making it for me.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 26, 2012 at 8:05:53 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "But - how dare they - Apple aren't making it for me."

It totally get this. The world would make all of us a lot happier if it would simply acknowledge that each of us are at the direct center of it.

Peace.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 26, 2012 at 8:39:46 pm

[Bill Davis] "each of us are at the direct center of it."

we don't all get to be pope or royalty wha?

and actually - while I'm at it - key framing on a hud. this is less platform - more nit picking, but if they have in fact opened pandoras box with the Red hud, the expanded keyframing interface needs to come off the clips - I think it's really problematic the way it pops up hanging off and tied to the clip as a four story geometrics instance.

for instance - so the keyframing has no independent timeline as it had - I cannot zoom in and out of keyframes separate from the timeline because they have no timeline of their own, - the keyframe interface and the keyframe visiblity is tied to the clips in and out point - if you zoom out on the main timeline, you are zooming out of the keyframing interface, thats maybe not too terrible really - but because the interface is set by clip in out width essentially, you also have no ability to see and adjust a keyframe that ends up outside of the clip out point - you can select forward in the inspector - but you cannot drag and reposition a keyframe back into the clip if you have trimmed back to the extent that the keyframe sits beyond the clip out point. That kind of thing comes up very often, and the only way I can see to reset that keyframe is to physically drag the clip out point to reveal it again.

there's a whole bunch of stuff like that I find in keyframing, the fact that it is modal with a done button, that speaks to a bit of a problem with geometrics and keyframe animation in the single window non tab environment - that decision by apple has sent some things to very strange places - geometrics as per clip slaves dependent on the width of the clip and the zoom factor on the timeline is one of them

I don't actually know where apple put a keyframe timeline adjustment panel, but a streamlined narrow box hud slave to inspector scale / rotation / selections - basically just a slim keyframe time ruler hud with keyframe notches that presents the keyframes for the property selected in the inspector or something? either way geometrics has problems in FCPX. And I use that stuff *a ton* for push pull on shots, and the keyframes very, very often end up outside the cut points.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:32:35 pm

following on from the keyframing burble there -

possibly even this sneaky little suspect? which I have crudely mocked up -all please ignore shot of a bloke's kitchen table and lappie, it was a camera track test...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3421180/keyframe%20lozenge.jpg

it could simply be a neat GUI slide down keyframe strip below the centre bar - this is how 3DS MAX got around the problem of a minimal keyframe timeline, I found it worked really well, although they stuck theirs on the screen base. the important thing is that something like that would restore to some degree the score sheet flexibility for keyframing. Myself I find that sometimes the easiest, and most organic way to adjust a keyframe strength is to move it further away and let the numbers fall off that way. If you need to you can re-assert a new keyframe at the original position and delete the one you sent for off to the right.

Basically keyframes outside the outpoint are important I think.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 26, 2012 at 10:13:13 pm

actually I'm mad for this now - screen shot two says he.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3421180/keyframe%20lozenge%202.jpg

and so, he said, here I have selected the previous clip (which actually wasn't in the previous screen shot but one gets the idea) - and the keyframe strip now refers to its key framed parameters? It's simply a notched ruler strip, directly equivalent to the timeline ruler strip itself, that exposes the keyframe parameters for the selected clip below on the timeline? the keyframes themselves will zoom in and out dependant on timeline zoom, but the blue strip itself holds steady just like the main timeline ruler.

with the little blue keyframe strip (TM) up, you would get a far better idea of the keyframing inter-relationships in sequential clips, because with it active, just clicking the clips will get instantly get you the keyframes directly above? thats how it was in 3DS MAX to my memory - it was a single object parameter dependent super thin strip timeline, but i recall it was massively handy.

there - don't anyone say I'm never constructive. which I rarely am.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 8:21:30 pm

Can you articulate the way in which a "platform" is different from a "software ecosystem" or a software "studio." What makes your vision different than Adobe's dynamic link between a studio of programs or Legacy's studio + plug-in architecture. I'm not throwing cold water here, I'm trying to understand the difference.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:39:24 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Can you articulate the way in which a "platform" is different from a "software ecosystem" or a software "studio." What makes your vision different than Adobe's dynamic link between a studio of programs or Legacy's studio + plug-in architecture. I'm not throwing cold water here, I'm trying to understand the difference."

In my view, a platform provides basic functionality and interesting data to an application.

Imagine if plugins extended functionality, not just added visual effects.

I also associate some openness with the word platform, though upon further thought, wouldn't include it in the definition. It's that openness that I think would be critical for making this useful.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 10:29:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "In my view, a platform provides basic functionality and interesting data to an application. Imagine if plugins extended functionality, not just added visual effects."

What you seem to be saying is that a platform is defined as a program that encourages increased functionality from third party vendors, not just from internal "studio" style bundles.

If so then I/O hardware makers like AJA and BMD extend functionality. Plural Eyes and Boris Soundbite read data from Legacy projects and extend functionality back into the program through revised timelines and markers. Colorista extends functionality by providing masking within the color corrector. Does this make Legacy a (dead) platform ?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 1:49:17 am

I think it will almost be a platform, yes. I pontificated a bit on it here, wrapped in a hardware discussion:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/43226

Maya is kind of like a platform as well.

The MacOS is a platform. Windows is a platform.
__

Andy, I like your mockup, and I agree the video animation pop up is less than elegant. I am also surprised you are even tossing around and mocking up ideas of trying to improve this software. wink

I don't understand why the video animation window can't show just one parameter, or just the parameters you need.

Timeline keyframes in FCP7 kind of sucked, too. Even the motion tab wasn't that great, but it worked OK for really simple shit.

For simple two keyframe things, FCPX works fine, but if you need more, the video animation screen is really weird.

If we had a Motion room, I think this kind of thing would be moot.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:58:13 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Maya is kind of like a platform as well."

Maya is the perfect example of an app that's also a platform. There are TDs who do nothing but write tools which extend Maya and enable artists to do all sorts of things in Maya that Maya can't do out of the box.

After Effects is a step or twelve down from Maya in this regard, but a step or three above the NLEs. In addition to the plugins, there's Ae scripting which can automate all kinds of tasks, but generally does not add new functionality that wasn't already present in the application.

All of the NLEs are at the bottom of a list like this -- there's very little a third-party developer can do to add on to the application itself. NLE extensions have really existed outside the NLE. Look at all the cool things that you could do with XMEML before, or with FCPXML today. They use data from the application, but they can't use it within the context of the application itself, control the application, or borrow any functionality from the host app.

If FCPX were a platform to the degree that Maya is, you'd be able to mold it any way you like. You could do things like replace the Event Browser with the DAM of your choice, or extend the keywording system to pull from your own DAM, or automatically version localized outputs for a nationwide spot, or run reporting on usage statistics, or add multiple viewers, or automatically default to Giberti tracks, or add that roles-based color coding that everyone seems to want, or, dare I say it, add your own timecode windows and sync indicators.

I happen to think that Motion and Compressor are more suite-like than platform-like, as they operate with both separate data and separate functionality.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Oct 27, 2012 at 5:50:26 am

I don't think Apple will go that far. They don't like to lose that much control, but I do think it will be more platform like.

More akin to Ae level platform than Maya.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nikola StefanovicRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 7:14:43 am

I would like to see AirPlay to Apple TV and Color board and other controls like sound mixing on iPad.

Nikola Stefanovic
http://www.vimeo.com/nikolastefanovic/reel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben ScottRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 11:15:36 am

i would like to see

keyframing as suggested above

colour wheels and controller integration

multiple scopes

customisable and recall for window layouts

metadata mapping and verbatim logger tools similar to CatDV or final cut server, while your at it a watcher type tool that automates more complex tasks would be good

audio analysis and script sync like tools

auto line up of scences, shots, takes as auditions

abstracted storyline/storyboard view like imovie has but with steriods like first cuts software

ganging

a tracker

send to motion

proper versioning and notes around that

versioning tools for deliverables, like roles but done better

audio mixer that works and connects to external controller

AVCintra MXF export for UK DPP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2012 at 11:35:49 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't think Apple will go that far. They don't like to lose that much control, but I do think it will be more platform like. More akin to Ae level platform than Maya."

Let's start with baby steps -- can developers create custom UI elements in effects yet?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2012 at 5:45:22 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Let's start with baby steps -- can developers create custom UI elements in effects yet?"

Kinda, and have been able to for a little while now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:10:20 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Kinda, and have been able to for a little while now."

Sorry, I am days behind, and not in front of a Mac at the moment. Are we referring to on-screen controls, or has one of the last couple updates added real custom UI elements in the effects panel?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:19:25 am

Glad you and your family are OK.

I was talking about on screen custom controls, nothing I've seen in the effects panel, yet.

Then there's the new popup HUD for Red, but that just has sliders and drop downs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:22:42 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Glad you and your family are OK."

Thank you very much -- I do appreciate it!

[Jeremy Garchow] "I was talking about on screen custom controls, nothing I've seen in the effects panel, yet. Then there's the new popup HUD for Red, but that just has sliders and drop downs."

I dig OSCs, I just wish they weren't the only way. Here's hoping.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 4, 2012 at 11:47:19 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I dig OSCs, I just wish they weren't the only way. Here's hoping."

Well, well: http://coremelt.com/products/slicex.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ModicaRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 11:26:35 am

In my opinion, the main difference is pricing. Apple's cut the pricing so low, that the old style platform companies are struggling to compete. Sure, they might have better features or better match existing workflows, but new editors and new businesses are going to be attracted to the low price. In this context, "good enough" always wins.

So ultimately, if you can field a product that costs $299 that good enough and supportable, you are going to gut the companies who's business models require a $1500 product.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2012 at 11:44:56 am

[Steve Modica] "In my opinion, the main difference is pricing. Apple's cut the pricing so low, that the old style platform companies are struggling to compete. Sure, they might have better features or better match existing workflows, but new editors and new businesses are going to be attracted to the low price. In this context, "good enough" always wins. So ultimately, if you can field a product that costs $299 that good enough and supportable, you are going to gut the companies who's business models require a $1500 product."

FCPX + Motion + Compressor is about $400. Creative Cloud is $50/month.

Adobe has a hidden advantage in price: if you need Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects -- and an awful lot of post-production can't get away without at least one of these tools -- then you get Premiere in the suite for free, and FCPX is suddenly at a $299 disadvantage. Alternately, Premiere Pro could stall in the post-production market without affecting the Creative Suite sales driven by Ps/Il/Ae at all.

I think that FCPX will do (is doing?) fabulously well, but I don't see it "gutting" Creative Suite -- there's too little overlap.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris KennyRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 4:02:28 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Adobe has a hidden advantage in price: if you need Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects -- and an awful lot of post-production can't get away without at least one of these tools -- then you get Premiere in the suite for free, and FCPX is suddenly at a $299 disadvantage."

I have to say, though, at least for us the fact that you can't split the different Creative Suite apps from a single licensed copy up over multiple systems significantly reduces this advantage. There's not 100% overlap between the machines we need Photoshop/Illustrator/AE on and and the machines we want to edit on.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 29, 2012 at 12:53:13 am

[Chris Kenny] "I have to say, though, at least for us the fact that you can't split the different Creative Suite apps from a single licensed copy up over multiple systems significantly reduces this advantage. There's not 100% overlap between the machines we need Photoshop/Illustrator/AE on and and the machines we want to edit on."

I agree it's not the best choice for everyone -- just pointing out that FCPX is not actually the cheapest choice for all workflows.

But that said -- has anyone here pick their NLE in 2012 based on price?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris KennyRe: FCP-X - Application or Platform?
by on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:01:30 am

[Walter Soyka]
But that said -- has anyone here pick their NLE in 2012 based on price?"

I'm not sure "here" is the right place to ask. The primary strategic impact of price is probably to sway which NLE new users choose.

It may also somewhat influence how many seats of each NLE multi-seat facilities that use multiple NLEs install. If something is cheap, you tend to just throw it in every suite to gain flexibility; if it's expensive you're a bit more selective.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:03:57 am

[Chris Kenny] "I'm not sure "here" is the right place to ask. The primary strategic impact of price is probably to sway which NLE new users choose."

I get that -- but that brings me back to my first point. If those new users also want Ps/Ai/Ae, then FCPX is no longer cheaper than the "free" NLE they'd get with their Adobe suite.

But even if they buy FCPX anyway -- so what? Apple winning does not automatically mean Adobe losing. You might buy FCPX for editorial but still find Creative Suite worth buying for something else. Premiere Pro is all upside for Adobe.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2012 at 4:27:20 pm

[Steve Modica] "So ultimately, if you can field a product that costs $299 that good enough and supportable, you are going to gut the companies who's business models require a $1500 product."

Imagine what would happen if when we get into Thunderbolt optical territory - if whatever the MacPro they're cooking up enabled you to do a workplace license for X where "extra seats" were bundled at a sharp discount, and the program used a Qmaster like construct to let you distribute rendering tasks around the processors in your shop automagically.

I've always thought that the App Store model fundamentally changes the dynamics of pricing. If Apple were to do this kind of "multi-seat bundling" virtually every penny of the incremental "extra seat" revenue would pretty much fall straight to the bottom line.

And I can see where Apple might already be making more net profit per sale with X priced at $299 then they did with Legacy at $1000.

When you own a virtual supply chain that essentially sells nothing but bit arrangements and has tens of millions of customer credit cards on file - everything changes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]