Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Edit Proxy-only on second drive

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
chris sinclairEdit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:18:01 pm

I have a FCPX Event/Project with 1TB of original footage. I've created proxies which use less than 100GB of disc space. I want to duplicate and edit a "to-go" version of the Event/Project on a smaller bus-powered drive while at home, but I only want to copy over my Proxies (since I don't have much space on my smaller pocket drive), then come back to the office and copy over the Project file to my main drive and original media, and keep editing.

I've viewed tutorials on the dangers of duplicating in the Finder, and that everything must be duplicated or copied within FCPX.

So what's a step-by-step to creating a "To-Go" version that only has Proxies, onto a second drive, and then relinking the updated Project File to my main drive, in a way that won't give me relinking nightmares?

Thanks,
Chris.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Edit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:30:17 pm

The best way to do the Event is through the Finder.

Simply copy over the Event and all the subsequent folders in the Event, but don't copy the "Original" or "Transcoded Media >High Quality" folders. You want only the "Transcoded Media > Proxy Media" folder.

Open FCPX and make sure that the "Use Proxy media" option is checked in the prefs.

From there, you can duplicate and move Projects between the systems using FCPX.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris sinclairRe: Edit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:35:08 pm

I watched this video and, at min 2:15, they warn against doing Event copying via the finder due to a unique ID that is assigned to each copy of an Event.

Wouldn't your suggestion mess things up? Or have you found this not to cause a relinking problems or FCPX making weird (fcp1) duplicate aliases to files (what happened to me last time I tried something similar to this).

Thanks! I'll probably try a small test with sample clips later.

Chris.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:40:08 pm

I meant to also say, that when following their example in the video, by copying the Event via FCPX, it requires copying all the footage too, and you can't specify which footage, it just copies the original and any optimized/proxy media as well. I usually don't have that much available space on my second, more portable drive, I just want the proxies. I just realize there's lots of metadata floating in between copies of stuff and don't want to mess that up.

Chris.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:43:12 pm

[chris sinclair] "I meant to also say, that when following their example in the video, by copying the Event via FCPX, it requires copying all the footage too, and you can't specify which footage, it just copies the original and any optimized/proxy media as well. "

Correct. That's why using the Finder is best.

The Finder duped Events is only a problem if you have both Events/drives loaded at the same time. If you don't, there's no problem.

You can also "hide" the Event from FCPX before plugging in the pocket drive.

You should follow the rules for Projects though.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:45:12 pm

Jeremy,
Thanks a ton!
Great suggestions. I'll try this out going forward.
Regards,
Chris.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:50:57 pm

[chris sinclair] "Great suggestions. I'll try this out going forward. "

I just thought of something but haven't tried it.

Once you get the proxy media and event over, you can Quit FCPX and "hide" the Original Event by ejecting that disk (you should now have just the pocket drive loaded.

Launch FCPX, switch your prefs to Proxy and you should find that the pocket drive should be linked.

Now duplicate that Event which should give it a Unique ID.

After duplicating, delete the original Finder copied Event in FCPX. Now there should be no conflict when both drives are loaded in FCPX.

ALso, please send feedback to Apple. This is exactly where the media management needs more control. We just need an option to send Proxy media only.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:58:46 pm

How would I hide events?
I am aware of and use this, but I haven't played with it much (seems to inconsistently hide):
http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/EventManagerX/

Chris.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 7:02:38 pm

Yes, that's an easy way and worth every bit of $5.

The other way is to simply move the event folder out of the Final Cut Events folder with FCPX quit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SarafoskiRe: Edit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:47:34 am

Jeremy just to add to your finder workflow, If you choose not to have your media copied to your event when importing, as we all know alias links are created in the Original Media Folder.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you choose to transcode your media to proxy, FCPX doesn't include alias links like music or graphics, which means you'll also need to make sure these files are copied across to your other drive in order to continue working in proxy mode.

Just putting it out there because I recently made this mistake and didn't realise till I opened the job and saw all my graphics/music offline :-(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:59:56 am

[Tony Sarafoski] "Jeremy just to add to your finder workflow, If you choose not to have your media copied to your event when importing, as we all know alias links are created in the Original Media Folder.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you choose to transcode your media to proxy, FCPX doesn't include alias links like music or graphics, which means you'll also need to make sure these files are copied across to your other drive in order to continue working in proxy mode.

Just putting it out there because I recently made this mistake and didn't realise till I opened the job and saw all my graphics/music offline :-("

Is it very important to make sure that the Event relinks on the pocket drive before you leave for the day.
:)

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony SarafoskiRe: Edit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:14:23 am

Hahah... Yeah I learn the hard way ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Edit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:54:54 am

Another (much easier IMHO) solution is to just use a simple Firewire 800 external drive to house your X assets, both projects and events.

You can get one for barely 100 bucks that's so small it's totally laptop bag friendly. And then you can transfer your ENTIRE projects, proxy and original media - from machine to machine without penalty.

Drive space is CHEAP. And X is astonishingly "portable drive friendly", auto loading your events and projects almost instantly no matter which machine you plug such a drive into.

Other than my VO work (small by nature) I don't have ANYTHING on my local laptop drives. All my X work lives on small drives backed up to fixed storage regularly.

Local drive storage of even proxy projects involves just too much cumbersome, MOVE hassles. Just MOVE your projects onto backup regularly, and work the original files via external drives. No time wasted and you never have to wonder which file is the correct one.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:57:22 am

Even a short documentary is more than a 1TB of footage, which is more than my current pocket drives. Original + ProRes 422 + Proxy = too much for longer projects.
My 2 cents.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:59:38 am

I can't wait until fw800 pocket drives can hold every single piece of the 23TBs that's currently on the SAN.

I'm with you, Chris. You sometimes need multiple drives.

FCPX is actually pretty decent at it, you just have to have things setup properly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:13:12 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I can't wait until fw800 pocket drives can hold every single piece of the 23TBs that's currently on the SAN.
"

Would sure be nice. But the OP wanted to take a single project on the road. Not a SAN.

So I'm just noting that there's nothing preventing him from taking a 1Tb project out without using Proxys at all. It's easy and dependable.

That's all.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:17:50 am

[Bill Davis] "So I'm just noting that there's nothing preventing him from taking a 1Tb project out without using Proxys at all. It's easy and dependable. "

But taking a small project with you on the road is very easy with FCPX due to its Proxy feature.

Some people would prefer this method, and it's very doable and also rather unique to FCPX. Using bigger drives is not unique to FCPX.

I think its worth learning. Buying more drives with wall warts also works, but there's smaller ways if you really need to be more portable.

You don't have to contradict absolutely everything on this forum, do you?

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:36:41 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "You don't have to contradict absolutely everything on this forum, do you?"

No. But I didn't honestly didn't see it as contradictory - but that could well be myopia on my part. I saw it as trying to help promote an alternate workflow that might have helped someone solve a problem.

I don't see many people talking about the workflow that works really well for me (the Seagate GoFlex Pro drives I use are buss powered, BTW and don't require wall-warts) so I try to share it when I can.

I get that it's not a universal solution, but I find it to be useful, that's all.

But perhaps I've over-posted my welcome. I'll back off for a while and get my writing time in elsewhere.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:39:20 pm

[Bill Davis] "But perhaps I've over-posted my welcome. I'll back off for a while and get my writing time in elsewhere."

It's not that, Bill.

Buying bigger hard drives has been a solution for over 100 years (yes 100).

There are other solutions that don't involve purchasing or carrying around yet more storage.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:11:22 am

[chris sinclair] "Even a short documentary is more than a 1TB of footage, which is more than my current pocket drives. Original + ProRes 422 + Proxy = too much for longer projects.
My 2 cents."

2 TB Firewire 800 drives at SEARS for $111.00

(wow, that's weird - SEARS??? Wonder what they are at Frys?

Anyway whatever works for you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael AngeloRe: Edit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:29:22 am

This is a great technique that I discovered playing with the software on my own as a new user, tho clearly missed a few details given the depth of this thread. It's great to see others using it successfully and I haven't run into any clip ID issues copying via finder but intend to dig a bit deeper.

I'm about to dive into a feature with FCPX using this work flow as running external drives with no AC means 2TB limit so pretty excited to be at the park editing my film if all goes well ;)

Thanks so much for this thread gentlemen

Cheers

Michael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam BryceRe: Edit Proxy-only on second drive
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 5:12:57 pm

I am leaving for Nepal and I would like to to some basic editing while on location. Just picked up a Pegasus J2 SSD which I will be editing from. I am shooting pro res 422 from the camera so the file sizes will be large.

Ideally, I would have all of my Pro Res media on an external drive that I will back up daily, and then create proxies that would be moved to my SSD for fast editing. And then, of course, re linked at the end of it.

I really wish there was an easy way to have Media Management duplicate my Proxy media only (As Chris had previously mentioned)

Hopefully there are enough people asking for this feature...

Perhaps there will be FCPX 10.1 announced with the MacPro's and the new Cinema Displays. That timing would be wonderful.

I will update this thread after I have experimented with some options.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]