Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

rMBP thunderbolt woes

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Daniel FromerMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:56:52 pm

Since purchasing my rMBP I've had continuing issues keeping a live connection to my Promise Pegasus thunderbolt RAID. Promise, being the good company they are, shipped me a brand new chassis (ahead of me returning the old one) in hopes to correct the issue. Unfortunately the issue persisted. My 2011 MBP works perfectly with it, for the sake of comparison.

I took my laptop back to the Apple store and explained the issue. The employees agreed that it sounds like an issue with thunderbolt power. They also told me that the new thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter, when paired with a macbook air, had the issue of occasionally dropping the connection due to insufficient power. They agreed that this sounds like a similar issue, but shouldn't be the case on the rMBP model.

Now my laptop is in for repairs and it will take "10 to 14 days." Being the "least reparable laptop in history" means a simple problem such as this requires the entire logic board be replaced - aka a new computer inside that thin shell. And they don't even know if it will solve the issue. "Might be an unknown firmware issue with Promise thunderbolt RAIDs if this doesn't work," was the last line of the conversation.

So, why am I posting this in a forum about editing? Because we've been discussing lots of "ditch the desktop" ideas and I'm one of those people that actually did it. And now here we are.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with the rMBP and thunderbolt. I hope not, but as for the rest of you eyeing the purchase of one -- perhaps it's a good idea to wait until more results come in. The comment about the macbook air + firewire adapter is just one telling story that we may not be aware of.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frank GothmannRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:25:15 pm

Sorry to hear that. 14 days sounds bad, but this is precisely the reason why I stay as far away as possible from all these locked down solutions. It all sounds great on paper; once things go down south you are done with no escape route.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:40:38 pm

It sounds like an issue with the MBP in general. I have a friend running an iMac with the Pegasus and no such problem. I'm not sure I understand the power issue mentioned, since both the laptop and the Pegasus should each be running connected to their own power supply. Thunderbolt power should really only be an issue with bus-powered devices. Right? Are there any other Thunderbolt devices daisy-chained in this system?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel FromeRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 2:07:41 pm

Hi Oliver, from what I understand -- even with self-powered devices such as the Pegasus, the thunderbolt socket still requires some of its own power on the receiving end. Also, remember that the 2011 MBP does not exhibit this issue -- so I don't think it can assumed that all laptops have this problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:00:25 pm

I had a small issue when moving my iMac across the room. When I hooked everything back up, it took just the right combinations of cables and ports until all seemed to be happy. I have a bmd device on one TB port, and my second monitor is looped through the Pegasus.

It truly is kinda reminiscent of scsi. Get it all plugged up and working, and leave it.

I assume Apple cloned your hard drive to a backup computer while yours was in the shop, yes?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:06:25 pm

No, no clone. They didn't even offer it. I'm out of a laptop until then.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:01:03 pm

Seriously? Geez. Apple Care or no Apple Care, that's pretty ridiculous. Did you try just returning/swapping for a new one?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brooks TomlinsonRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:35:36 pm

The only issue i've had with my rMBP is that the firewire adaptor does not supply enough power to the firewire bus powered G-raid mini. It works fine if it is on power, but just clicks and makes noise. It was good of you to point out your problems though, becasue it make you think.

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:53:38 pm

[Brooks Tomlinson] "rMBP is that the firewire adaptor does not supply enough power to the firewire bus powered G-raid mini"

I've actually seen that on quite a few Macs, old and new. Plug in both a FW and a USB connection and you'll be fine. The USB adds the power.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brooks TomlinsonRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:24:16 pm

I just tried Thunderbolt to FireWire and USB at the same time with my g raid mini. No luck. The only thing that works is external power.

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 4:19:42 pm

[Daniel Frome] "So, why am I posting this in a forum about editing? Because we've been discussing lots of "ditch the desktop" ideas and I'm one of those people that actually did it. And now here we are."

I have a desktop Windows 7 PC that I built myself (and have continually updated over the years) and a 2011 MacBook Pro 17". I love both and I don't think I could ever go with just one setup because of this very issue. Anyone (not referring to you directly, Daniel, just FYI) who thinks that they can easily get by on one machine, especially because of the whole "Apple hardware is more reliable" myth is running a risk of being out a machine.

Even outside of failure, sometimes having a dekstop/laptop combination is nice simply because you don't have to fret if one's going to be down for a while doing a heavy render or something.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig ShieldsRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:32:34 pm

So there was no offer to replace the the laptop?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2012 at 5:33:48 pm

Nope, no offer to replace. Part of the problem is that this is a 16GB model, which nobody ever carries in store. It's just a BTO model.

I wish they had offered to replace, even temporarily with an 8GB model, but no dice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DobsonRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 6:14:52 pm

Good luck Daniel.

It's an indication of the way things are going unfortunately. I hope your issue get resolved quickly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jon BarrRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 6:18:41 pm

Retina MBP here running perfectly with a Promise Pegasus. I'm sure everything will work fine once they've returned your laptop.

Shame that they didn't replace it there and then.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:44:26 pm

Hi John - are you running the R4 or the R6? And do you have any devices chained after the unit?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2012 at 7:59:08 pm

R6 with the Thunderbolt Ethernet chained out of the Pegasus.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 11:15:26 pm

I'm running the non-retina 2012 MBP...but no drive off the TB port. I switch between a TB to DVI adapter for my computer display (well, FSI 2461 via DVI...use as a computer monitor) and TB to my AJA IoXT to the FSI 2461. Zero issues...but that is only monitoring.

Since I have a firewire port, I don't have an adapter for that. And since I lack any TB drives...I don't have those issues. I guess I need to get one to see if it has the same issue? See if it is an rMBP issue, and not a MBP issue entirely.

I'll see if CalDigit can send me anything.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2012 at 11:19:31 pm

the issue at this point only appears to be one rMBP? Am I missing something or is this a widespread occurrence beyond this thread?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:49:43 pm

Couldn't be that a thunderbolt drivers issue?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:10:45 pm

It sounds like it's a general issue with most of Apple's "thin" laptops. I doubt it affects the non-retina 2012 MBP but good to check it out.

As a pint of issue: the displayport component is never affected by this issue. Even when my Promise RAID disconnects the displayport monitor (daisy chained) does not cut out. It's something specific with thunderbolt, not displayport.

Either way we will find out in a couple weeks if the laptop comes back fixed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 2:23:57 pm

Daniel,

I am going to say that as an R-MBP owner, I am not seeing any Thunderbolt issues whatsoever on my 2.6g/16G /768GB version running Mountain Lion.

Have you changed out your cables? I so far have found 3-TB cables that have underperformed or were not functioning when I opened the packages.

Contrary to an earlier posting - Most TB devices do not "Have" to have power over the TB cable to run correctly.

Have you tried changing the monitor connection from one of the older "Display port" connections to one of the newer TB versions of the same connector?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 21, 2012 at 2:27:44 pm

Hi Gary -
I've swapped out thunderbolt cables twice, and (as stated earlier) even replaced the entire RAID unit "just in case."

I've tried various different combinations daisy chaining my ethernet adapter, firewire adapter, and displayport monitor, and also not daisy chaining anything at all.

Sometimes it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours, but eventually the thunderbolt devices will give out. Bummer indeed. We'll see in 2 weeks when the laptop comes back with new logic board, etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 2, 2012 at 1:27:55 pm

Funny update for you all: They replaced the logic board, but they messed it up. One of my ports is totally non-functioning now. After talking with them again they admitted that "oh, we weren't supposed to try and fix that model, it basically needs to be replaced." So here we go again -- at least this time it's just a simple swap.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: rMBP thunderbolt woes
by on Sep 2, 2012 at 2:58:09 pm

[Daniel Frome] "Funny update for you all: They replaced the logic board, but they messed it up. One of my ports is totally non-functioning now. After talking with them again they admitted that "oh, we weren't supposed to try and fix that model, it basically needs to be replaced." So here we go again -- at least this time it's just a simple swap."

Daniel,
you are explaining why the need for the old Apple VAR (Value Added Reseller) program was so valuable. It was much easier to deal with someone that understood the issues related to being business and handling the level of content required.

Just last week I went into an Apple store to pick up a 6T Thunderbolt drive I ordered online, I got a ear full from a very nice, 20 something guy telling me that I should be using USB3 enclosures with SSD drives, however when it got down to how fast the data transfers were over USB3 he could not answer directly but did not believe my data notes til he pulled up a blog post here on the Cow on TB.

It was really quite humorous a few minutes later when he realized, as he was checking me out, that I was the one that had written the blog post he kept referring to.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook