Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Ipad apps for production

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Richard CardonnaIpad apps for production
by on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:46:36 pm

What are the best ipad apps for our line of work:
Shooting, editing/finnishing/prepro that can work within cs & fcpor fcpx workflow?

Dose androide have equivalents or exclusive apps for content creation?

Thanks
Richard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt DunneRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:25:50 pm

I'm actually interested in this as well. There's the obvious use which is a teleprompter app and a mount which has worked great. I also use air display and chuck my audio mixer on the ipad when editing in fcp7 but I have been looking for a dedicated mixer app to use with fcp or premiere pro for a little bit now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik LindahlRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:47:32 pm

Wouldn't an iPad work great as a interface for grading suites like Resolve?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 31, 2012 at 9:14:31 pm

There's always this but I have no experience with it. I know it's not Resolve but it's still cool.

http://fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/79-tangent-release-an-ipad-app-control-sur...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

John ChristieRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Jul 31, 2012 at 11:38:31 pm

I've used the Tangent iPad app for grading short projects at home on Color. We have the bigger Tangent panels at work and once you get used to the ball and wheel approach, it's hard to use Color with a mouse.

Cheers

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 5:51:50 am

This is/was a terrific iPad audio control surface for FCP 7 that uses Mackie Machine Control as an interface.

http://saitarasoftware.com/Site/Home.html

Sadly, Avid doesn't support MMC, Premiere doesn't support control surfaces at all, and FCP X doesn't know what a mixer is. But hey, if you're using 7, its a fun little iPad ap.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dennis RadekeRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:09:17 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Premiere doesn't support control surfaces at all"

We support them in Audition today and know that surface support in Premiere Pro is important for the future.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 6:47:10 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "[Chris Harlan] "Premiere doesn't support control surfaces at all"

We support them in Audition today and know that surface support in Premiere Pro is important for the future.

"

Good to know. I really like how beefy the mixer is in Premiere. It would be terrific to see it taken to an external mode.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Tony BrittanRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Jul 31, 2012 at 9:41:40 pm

Check out:
http://www.movie-slate.com/
and:
Storyboard by Cinemek
and:
http://www.applicationgap.com/apps/easyrelease/

Good stuff!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CardonnaRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:01:59 am

That movie slate looks awesome wish it had better integration with cs6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:08:54 pm

Another vote for movie slate here.

I don't own it, but have been the recipient of movie slated shows. It's great and you can even send/receive tc with hardware add ons. There's also the 'mambo frame' from Pomfort to go with it.

A few DP buddies rely on Sunseeker especially when scouting.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CardonnaRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:05:04 pm

Yes i have seen sun seeker its great for planning shots.

There is also a light meter but l dont know if its pro enough..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik LindahlRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:11:40 pm

The Photographers Ephemeris is a great app for sorting out sunlight-conditions a given date and time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 6:47:06 pm

My iPhone scounting tools include:

Golden Hour - which plots sunup and sundown times by position.
Commander Light - a compass application that I use to determine direction for window exposures.
Recorder - for Audio notes
And of course, the iPhone's own camera and video recorder are excellent location scouting tools.

I also use DSLR Slate and DSLR remote when doing my 5d shoots.

I also wouldn't want to do an out of town location shoot without Yelp available - two weeks ago it found us a great local bar/restaurant in Blythe, CA and kept us out of the plastic fast food world.

I also have Cinemak's Storyboard, but seldom use it since I'm typically doing more ENG style compared to "planned shot" type work. If I worked in a "managed" environment more where I have to get signoffs from above and below, I'd probably use it more. But my typical client doesn't really want to participate at every production stage, but rather just on the scripting and project design and then on review of initial submission draft.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan OkeyRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 9:46:58 pm

Unfortunately there's not an iPad-optimized version yet, but Photosynth on the iPhone is a great tool for use in communicating the results of location scouting. Best of all, it's free!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:30:56 pm

The big problem with movie slate, is if you use the wrong slate sound, it's off by 2-4 frames. IOW the flash and the sound it makes aren't in sync. Kinda defeats the whole purpose. The default sound is kinda echoey and long. So doesn't provide a precise "snap." I found the best sound is the loud beep. It's in sync, and it's short and precise.

Compound this with Canon's DSLRs recording the audio often 1-3 frames out of sync with the video and you've got some tweaking to do. The latter problem is visible with a real slate. Or just record someone clapping their hands.

Then in the edit suite things can also look wonky if your monitor has a couple frame lag while the audio out of your AJA or Matrox or whatnot doesn't.

Remember when audio was recorded on tape with the video and it was all analog and in sync? Ah, good times.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Ipad apps for production
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 3:53:58 am

Just had a thought. What if the new "mini" port on the upcoming iPhone, and then the iPad, is actually a sort of mobile thunderbolt port? Hmmmmm. Only 5Gb/sec each way or something.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 11, 2012 at 4:32:43 pm

I was looking for a dedicated app for mixing audio when I'm home either with FCP (7) or Premiere. Right now I have air display which kind of works but is a little laggy. Does anyone have experience with any mixer apps. Also is there a way to use the ipad as a second monitor for viewing like a view all frames sort of deal? Just curious.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy