Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Oh, one more thing...

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris ConleeOh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:05:29 pm

Umm, nope.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:06:40 pm

[Chris Conlee] "Umm, nope.
"

Well, yeah. As I'm poking around it looks like the 17" MBP is dead.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:08:25 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Well, yeah. As I'm poking around it looks like the 17" MBP is dead."

Shame. I was very interested in an upgrade.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:09:47 pm

Kinda sad and depressed right now...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Liam HallRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:11:40 pm

It tells you all you need to know about FCPX really.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:13:10 pm

They still haven't updated the iMac...surely they are going to get an Ivy Bridge refresh as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:39:40 pm

[Liam Hall] "It tells you all you need to know about FCPX really."

I agree. (tho likely not from the viewpoint you were intending! ; )

FCP-X is clearly the flagship Apple editing solution for today and for the future. They're building it to scale up with every increase in performance and technology that the Apple team develops. They release a laptop with a serious resolution enhancement by way of a retina display - and X can take full advantage of it right out of the gate. Sweet!

I couldn't be happier that I've already learned to swim in the FCP-X sea. Reminds me of my first trip to St. Maarten. The water is wonderful and the view in every direction absolutely outstanding.

I know a lot of you do work that requires you to keep working inside traditional offices. And it's good that there are more traditional equipment vendors ready to meet your needs.

But I'm fully ready for a new, more mobile life with a toolset that doesn't tie me to the same desk, seeing the same cubicle walls every day of the rest of my working life.

Great times indeed!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:56:35 pm

[Bill Davis] "I know a lot of you do work that requires you to keep working inside traditional offices. And it's good that there are more traditional equipment vendors ready to meet your needs.

But I'm fully ready for a new, more mobile life with a toolset that doesn't tie me to the same desk, seeing the same cubicle walls every day of the rest of my working life."

I doubt you are more mobile than me Bill (I shot in 22 counties in the last year alone). One thing I always like is coming home and moving from my laptop to my tower. I guess thunderbolt will help the transition to a non-desktop based edit suite, but it's not a great solution IMHO.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:30:11 pm

[Bill Davis] "I know a lot of you do work that requires you to keep working inside traditional offices. And it's good that there are more traditional equipment vendors ready to meet your needs."

I'm glad your happy for us Bill. But some of us are stuck with Apple because of workflow issues and can't take advantage of all the goodies that are out there. For me this day is worse than last year as far as immediate financial implications go. But I'm mollified knowing that you feel like you're in the Caribbean. I can almost smell the hibiscus.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:34:18 pm

[Bill Davis] "But I'm fully ready for a new, more mobile life with a toolset that doesn't tie me to the same desk, seeing the same cubicle walls every day of the rest of my working life."

And thank God Adobe and Avid are making those things. The customizability of Pr on a laptop just blows X away.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:22:02 pm

[Chris Harlan] "The customizability of Pr on a laptop just blows X away.
"

Then if the broader market values "customizability" over what X offers, then X usage will diminish and Pr will benefit.

If not, then whoever values that feature highly - like you - will Drive Pr and guys like me will Drive X.

And hopefully, we'll both get where we want to go in our own style.

Nothing wrong with that!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:24:01 pm

[Bill Davis] "Nothing wrong with that!"

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris ConleeRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:14:10 pm

I hear you. I've pretty much already decided to go PC when I've used up my current Mac Pro, but I love my 17" MBP and will hate to lose that. Oh well, they're just tools.

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:17:08 pm

The reality is that they probably can't produce 17" Retina displays in any sort of yield or at a realistic price point. The 15" is 2880 wide at 220dpi. That's a 30" screen crammed down to a laptop size.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:19:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The reality is that they probably can't produce 17" Retina displays in any sort of yield or at a realistic price point."

Don't care about retina on the 17"...just wanted USB3.0, ExpressCard, and Thunderbolt with Ivy Bridge and NVIDIA 600M.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:20:28 pm

[Gary Huff] "Don't care about retina on the 17"...just wanted USB3.0, ExpressCard, and Thunderbolt with Ivy Bridge and NVIDIA 600M."

Yes. Exactly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul JayRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:24:15 pm

Why express card, dual thunderbolt is perfect replacement for express card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:29:20 pm

SxS and eSATA for now. I can't connect eSATA until Fall with Thunderbolt.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:20:06 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The reality is that they probably can't produce 17" Retina displays in any sort of yield or at a realistic price point. The 15" is 2880 wide at 220dpi. That's a 30" screen crammed down to a laptop size.
"

I get it. I just like the extra real estate in terms of size.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:41:55 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I get it. I just like the extra real estate in terms of size."

Isn't that instantly solved by the Thunderbolt Cinema Display?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:43:02 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Chris Harlan] "I get it. I just like the extra real estate in terms of size."

Isn't that instantly solved by the Thunderbolt Cinema Display?
"

Bill, you just blow my mind sometimes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:25:16 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Bill, you just blow my mind sometimes."

Not sure why, but happy to contribute, I guess.

Still not sure why having excellent resolution on a laptop - AND the ability to plug it into your desktop via TB and get the benefit of a larger display isn't a very useful capability - but perhaps we just think differently.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:34:27 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Chris Harlan] "Bill, you just blow my mind sometimes."

Not sure why, but happy to contribute, I guess.

Still not sure why having excellent resolution on a laptop - AND the ability to plug it into your desktop via TB and get the benefit of a larger display isn't a very useful capability - but perhaps we just think differently."

Are you seriously asking? Because I will tell you. You may not like what you hear, though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:29:24 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The 15" is 2880 wide at 220dpi. That's a 30" screen crammed down to a laptop size."

You'll have to sit very close to the laptop to get full value out of that display...

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:41:39 pm

[Liam Hall] "You'll have to sit very close to the laptop to get full value out of that display...
"

Yup.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:49:08 pm

[Liam Hall] "You'll have to sit very close to the laptop to get full value out of that display...

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net"

Why?

I dont' have any problem appreciating the reproduction quality of a good magazine ad - which has significantly better resolution than any video display.

And I don't recall having to stick it six inches from my face to enjoy that resolution.

Apple's always had excellent screen scaling technology to allow their displays to be ergonomically sized for the individual users preferences. So what's the problem?

Also you must have noted that today's announced FCP-X upgrade supports native 1080p at in the main screen display. So the denser raster will likely have an immediate benefit for those of us who edit with X.

Seems like all benefit and no downside to me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:23:35 pm

Perhaps you're in the wrong profession if your eyes aren't that good. Have you even played with an iPad 3? Open up a photo on it and hold it next to the same photo on your laptop. Even better, hold up a website of text for comparison. As I type right now on a 1080p monitor, the text is fairly small and fuzzy. Fuzzy sucks. Fuzzy makes stuff look out of focus that isn't. Fuzzy creates tons of posts here about he viewer/canvas looking crappy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:29:35 pm

Actually, never mind.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:30:12 pm

[Bret Williams] "Have you even played with an iPad 3?"

There is a huge difference with the display on the iPad 3. So much better than the 2 (I have the 3).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:04:31 pm

[Bret Williams] "Perhaps you're in the wrong profession if your eyes aren't that good"

Not sure if that aimed at me or not Chris, but to clarify, my comment was tongue-in-cheek; having 2880 pixels on a 15" laptop is not the same as having 2880 pixels on a 30" monitor. Same number of pixels, but doing different jobs. Oh, and size matters...

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:12:23 pm

[Liam Hall] "Not sure if that aimed at me or not Chris, but to clarify, my comment was tongue-in-cheek; having 2880 pixels on a 15" laptop is not the same as having 2880 pixels on a 30" monitor. Same number of pixels, but doing different jobs. Oh, and size matters..."

Yep.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brett ShermanRe: Oh, one more thing...
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:33:59 pm

There is a difference between resolution and desktop real estate. The retina displayed be good for evaluating the sharpness of the video in the player window. However as far as user interface it doesn't help much. First because it's difficult to have that fine of control with a mouse or trackpad and second because interpreting icons and text is different than evaluating an image. There is a reason magazines don't print in 6 point type even though it is perfectly legible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]