Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jeremy GarchowSmoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:26:59 am

Making my way through them now.

http://youtube.com/smokehowtos

Wow.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brendan GibbonsRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:00:58 am

Everything just changed in post ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:35:45 am

[Brendan Gibbons] "Everything just changed in post ;-)"

Again? Again!

again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:37:01 am

Interesting, but very basic content.

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:23:23 am

Still looks like it'll be best as a short-form editorial/finishing tool doesn't it? Do like the Versions feature briefly touched upon in one of those videos.

As an aside, the bigger Agencies here in Mumbai (O&M, BBDO, JWT, Lintas) have picked up multiple seats of 2012 in prep for the 2013 release.

Looks like a lot more stuff will stay in-house now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:59:25 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "Still looks like it'll be best as a short-form editorial/finishing tool doesn't it? Do like the Versions feature briefly touched upon in one of those videos. "

There's a few things that are barely touched upon that I'm interested in that weren't shown. The versions thing sounded cool, but wasn't shown. It must not be ready.

Yes, I think Smoke is more of a compositing/finishing tool. It will now allow you to edit in it as well, with a more familiar track based interface/bin structure. For long form, I don't see a huge advantage at this point, especially as interchange out is more limited than most NLEs.

Also, it's been talked about that Smoke renders everything to frames, which works at a render advantage because only the frames that have changed are rerendered. But this means that every render will essentially be a ProRes .mov image sequence.

Autodesk says they are working on the confirm tool to "fit in a production pipeline", so let's see what they come up with.

I'm still psyched. I don't need a long form editor so Smoke might work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:15:24 pm

So is it out yet? I signed up for it awhile back. I suppose it must be soon if the vids got put up yesterday. A little bummed all it is is the editing for the first release. Nice, but not what I'm psyched about. I want to see the compositing/ediiting workflow since CS6 has let us down in the AE dept on macs (as well as Premiere unless you're working on a Macbook Pro. Just the ability to jump over and roundtrip to a title with lights and cameras like FCP 7 / Motion or Premiere / AE and actually get to use the GPU / Processors in my computer would be nice. AE doesn't support Mac GPUs, and when you round tripped in FCP 7 it used one processor to render and 4 gigs RAM. Autodesk may not be making the best editor, but if it's good enough and it all works together (especially if we can rough in X) then it's worth it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:42:36 pm

[Bret Williams] "So is it out yet?"

It got pushed back to get more things done "under the hood".

It's a beta release after all. I hope they take their time.

I'm curious about the compositing as well. I'm giddy!

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sandeep SajeevRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:00:23 pm

Don't recall Grant stating that the Pre-Release wouldn't have Action. Was it mentioned elsewhere?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian MulliganRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:18:13 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "There's a few things that are barely touched upon that I'm interested in that weren't shown. The versions thing sounded cool, but wasn't shown. It must not be ready.
"

Versioning that Grant talked about is nothing more than a new VIDEOish track that will allow you to make revisions to your timeline and then have only 1 active track with multiple video layers.

So then you can just adjust the positioner head on the track you want to me the output.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:43:39 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "Versioning that Grant talked about is nothing more than a new VIDEOish track that will allow you to make revisions to your timeline and then have only 1 active track with multiple video layers.

So then you can just adjust the positioner head on the track you want to me the output."

Like a nest? What's a videoish track? :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian MulliganRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:20:56 pm

It's not a nesting really. And a Video-ish track is because they changed the naming of a few things from 2012.

In 2012 Smoke could only output 1 video track which could have multiple layers. You could add multiple video tracks and then choose which one you wanted to output.

Video tracks used to be called Layers, so you had 1 video track and then multiple layers if you were stacking. That was confusing to those coming from other NLE's where everything is just a Video track.

Versions, are basically these alternate video tracks than Smoke can out out. So if you have an edit that has 3 Video tracks, you can add a new Version, add 2 more video tracks to it, copy the layers and make a change. Then you can position the playhead to play ver 1 (which has 3 layers) or Ver 2, (which also has 3 layers)

I personally like to just copy the entire sequence and version that way. But a version track does allow you to do a split screen or compare from one track to another, so it's useful in finishing if you have a QT roughcut to guide your conform.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:31:23 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "I personally like to just copy the entire sequence and version that way. But a version track does allow you to do a split screen or compare from one track to another, so it's useful in finishing if you have a QT roughcut to guide your conform."

Sounds rather flexible.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brendan GibbonsRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:53:46 pm

I'm glad they have modified / renamed tracks & layers in Smoke.

It really took a while for new users to grasp.

I don't know about everyone else...But seeing these videos you can see yourself just jumping in and editing away. You had to put in a LOT more groundwork to get up in cutting in Smoke 2012 and before.

The learning curve for most will be the nodal compositing of connectFX / batch.

But the way they have tied it into the timeline has made it sooo much more user friendly, having the connectFX process build your compositing workspace from your timeline source and applied effects looks to be so well thought out.

BG

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:27:47 pm

Eight new videos pertaining to editing: http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Haven't watched them yet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:48:22 pm

Watched a few, they are VERY basic but I have to say it's looking good so far.

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 6, 2012 at 5:34:43 pm

[Steve Connor] "Watched a few, they are VERY basic but I have to say it's looking good so far."

Makes sense, it's an all new interface for Smoke.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 7, 2012 at 3:12:18 am

[Steve Connor] "Watched a few, they are VERY basic but I have to say it's looking good so far."

I just finished them. I'm liking what I see too.

I hope "linked selection" is a keyboard toggle!

This is going to be a really great companion app for fcpx/others.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sohrab SandhuRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:12:02 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "As an aside, the bigger Agencies here in Mumbai (O&M, BBDO, JWT, Lintas) have picked up multiple seats of 2012 in prep for the 2013 release."

Just out of curiosity, which other NLEs are prominent in Mumbai industry. FCP 7, AVID or ADOBE?

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi & Adobe PPro

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil SadwelkarRe: Smoke 2013 "get started" videos posted
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:08:03 pm

It's just like elsewhere in the world.

Avid ruled till about 2004. Then FCP swept it away. Now FCP 7 is common in TV show editing facilities. Ads do both FCP and Avid. PPro is still unheard of.
Smoke rules the finishing market. Mostly Linux Smoke. the few Smoke Mac that exist service the lo-no budget market.

Film is huge. Lustre, Baselight, Resolve, iQ, Nucoda in that order cover this space.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter