Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Erik LundbergPlease keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 6:24:12 am

Hm. My bad. Who do I contact to apologize? Are there other NLE brands that should be kept out of this forum? Apparently not Avid. Nor Pr CS6. Or Smoke. If anyone was/is interested in continuing the discussion on where Lightworks fits into the NLE landscape, the thread started yesterday is moved to the Lightworks forum. Ok- it quickly turned into a discussion about what the word 'free' is really all about, and agreed- that discussion belongs in the Lightworks forum. And I won't mention it again.

But other than that- I do think that the program in its current form (and the coming releases of Mac OS X/Linux versions) poses an interesting alternative to the four A:s. Oh. There I go again. Sorry.

Erik Lundberg

Technical Director, Media Technology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 6:31:27 am

Huh. That's a puzzler. I don't get it either.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jules bowmanRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 7:44:11 am

I'm confused. Why was that thread not considered a part of this forum? It seems to fall perfectly into the remit of this forum. And who is this chap who picked up our football and said 'no ball games on the green please'?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 1:56:15 pm

[Jules bowman] "Why was that thread not considered a part of this forum?"

At a guess, I'd say they are trying to build traffic on the lightworks forum, but I agree that it is as much a part of the discussion here as all the PPro threads.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jules bowmanRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 2:15:31 pm

maybe a link to that forum and a pertinent thread would have been better, especially as this forum generates more traffic by all accounts. Also makes it look like the NLE doesn't warrant inclusion in here. Oh well, each to their own I guess.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clint WardlowRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 2:36:28 pm

Maybe you just made the dark overlords, with their mysterious ways, unhappy. Sacrifice a goat and perform an act of contrition. I'm sure you'll be forgiven.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris ConleeRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 3:26:33 pm

Begs the question again, as has been brought up in recent weeks (months?), should this forum be renamed something like: All the NLEs -- Pros and Cons? That seems to be what it has evolved to at this point. With the exception, it seems, of Lightworks which has now been officially sequestered in it's own 1 post per annum corner of the web.

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 3:32:24 pm

There is no reason to rename the forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris ConleeRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 3:45:50 pm

Then there's no reason to exclude one NLE from the list of NLEs being discussed here, is there?

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 3:56:03 pm

Absolutely not. IMHO, I don't think the request to discuss Lightworks only in the Lightworks forum was warranted.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 4:17:54 pm

[Chris Conlee] "Then there's no reason to exclude one NLE from the list of NLEs being discussed here, is there?

Chris"

With the possible exception of Windows Movie Maker, which shouldn't be discussed in polite company anywhere.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Nevin StyreRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 4:34:15 pm

Funny, I go to the gopro forum, EOS forum or the photoshop forum and they are littered with duplicate threads about FCPX for some reason... but to talk about something else other than FCX here is blasphemy. I kid though, it's probably more of a forum quirk.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 5:49:49 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "With the possible exception of Windows Movie Maker, which shouldn't be discussed in polite company anywhere."

I smirk thinking of how the discussion would go if Microsoft had released FCPX exactly as it currently stands instead of Apple (and called it Movie Maker Pro X). I highly doubt anyone here would be referring to it as "the future".

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Erik LundbergRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 7:01:53 pm

[Chris Conlee] " All the NLEs -- Pros and Cons?"

I'd say that a forum of this kind needs (or at least benifits from) a thought provocative name. 'Apple FCPX or Not' is just that, in the aftermath of last years trauma (or not). So I'd say it does a good job for the forum.

I think that a more "stringent" name would beget a more "boxed in" debate.

One thing Apple succeeded at with in the way FCPX was released was to provoke a lot of us (oh- at least me, but I get the feeling I'm not alone here) into really think about what the frak we're doing, and why. And vent a lot around that. Which I personally think is good. To get forward I at least need to stop staring at my feet. I think the debate is key for me in seeing the path forward NLE-wize (it's not all clear yet, but slowly getting there), to get more aware of exactly what our current needs and future needs are and to get a perspective on our facility and what need change to get better.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 5:29:19 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/321/47

Oh- and if anybody of some reason has interest in the original thread...

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 30, 2012 at 9:01:40 pm

Sorry to chime in late...but I have no idea what's up with that original message either.

Wherever it came from, ignore it. :-)

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 9:26:05 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Wherever it came from, ignore it. :-)"

So, we can say Lightworks without being threadnapped by overly enthousiastic moderators? Neat. Because I think that we do need to discuss it (=Lightworks) within the scope of this forum, and not just isolated in its own Lightworks forum.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 30, 2012 at 9:56:42 pm

[Erik Lundberg] "overly enthousiastic moderators"

Who? Not me man. I'm barely awake.

Just about anything related to industry topography and the variety of products and technologies that comprise the lay of the land is all fair game.

Although topology, as in the area of mathematics concerned with continuous deformation, may be okay too. Alllll about the continuous deformation here.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert BrownRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 31, 2012 at 12:50:46 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Just about anything related to industry topography and the variety of products and technologies that comprise the lay of the land is all fair game. "

Can we talk about the Sony RM 440? That was the thing back in 1981.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 31, 2012 at 3:08:33 pm

[Robert Brown] "Can we talk about the Sony RM 440? That was the thing back in 1981."

Only if you use it as an example to say why:

a) Everybody who loves FCPX is full of shit.
b) Everybody who hates FCPX is full of shit.
c) Old guys like me are smarter than all of you punks because we're OLD.

Anything else, take it to the Broadcasting forum.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 31, 2012 at 3:50:33 pm

[Tim Wilson] "c) Old guys like me are smarter than all of you punks because we're OLD."

I don't concider myself old at all yet (planning on becoming old later on), but this is still one of the most solid video editing platforms I've ever worked with. The one at work hasn't been used properly now for the last three years, and sad to say I've sent it to the attic just this january.

One of the best things about older more experienced co-workers (some of mine has been in broadcast since the late 60's) is that I've had a lot of direct access to a vast knowledge base. One of the worst is that they're starting to retire now. Which in turn will eventually lead to the scary point when I'm supposed to be the one who should know stuff.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 31, 2012 at 4:34:09 pm

[Erik Lundberg] "Which in turn will eventually lead to the scary point when I'm supposed to be the one who should know stuff"

A tip -- just tell stories of how hard it was in the old days. Things like: "When I began we had to cut silver nitrate film on a Steenbeck. The stuff was so flammable, we would have one editor burst into flames every month. You young whippersnappers have it so easy with your new fangled cellulose acetate film, computer do-hickeys and fire-retardant work spaces. You punks wouldn't know full coat from adam with your fancy DAT thingamajigs."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 31, 2012 at 4:46:42 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "The stuff was so flammable, we would have one editor burst into flames every month"

LOL! Good words of wisdom.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 31, 2012 at 5:25:47 pm

[Erik Lundberg] "[Clint Wardlow] "The stuff was so flammable, we would have one editor burst into flames every month"

LOL! Good words of wisdom.

Erik Lundberg

Technical Director, Media Technology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden"

Yeah, and I'm not sure how much things have really improved. Sometimes when I am working on my imac 27in it gets so hot I could fry eggs on it. I have two external fans that I often engage to cool the damned thing down.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 31, 2012 at 6:21:01 pm

[Clint Wardlow] " I have two external fans that I often engage to cool the damned thing down."

Screaming to be heard over the fans:

"YOU KNOW, BEFORE THEY SENT US THESE FANS, WE USED TO FRY TWO RAIDS EVERY WEEK. AND YOU SEE THESE BURN MARKS ON MY LAP?.."

I guess the next generation oldies will boast about hard drive failures.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 31, 2012 at 4:47:49 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "A tip -- just tell stories of how hard it was in the old days."

For the record, I AM one of those guys. I went to a college with 10,000 people in it, and there was ONE computer in the whole joint. It was deep in a basement, and only worked with punch cards. Punch something in, get your answer the next day.

Over in the video department, there were two guys who just fixed cameras and decks. All day every day. And there were just two cameras!

I bought my own razor blades because the ones in the studio were always too dull.

Old guyz rool and all that, which is why old editing systems are totally on topic.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on May 31, 2012 at 5:30:20 pm

The RM-440 was for amateurs. The Convergence 90. Now there was an pro machine.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 3:24:35 am

[Tim Auld] "The RM-440 was for amateurs."

Now the RM 450, that was semi pro

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum...
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 9:54:46 pm

I hope a Facebook account petitioning Sony to bring back an "All Stop" button appears soon.

....A noble cause....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]