Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

A really smooth jump to PP CS6...

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Armando CiuranaA really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 9, 2012 at 11:54:22 pm

We are a medium size production and post-production company, We´ve been working in Final Cut Studio seats since 2006, and that work very well for us, we have been working with third party software like, Combustion, Davinci, After Effects, etc. with no major issues.

I bought a copy of FCPX when it was released, and try (with little effort) to learn it, as my two fellow editors here and I, the few times we tried, we ended two hours later, with our heads in our left hand, and finger tapping with the right, everything seemed to over simplistic or to over complicated, all the usual terms changed, all our stuff misplaced, changed or even lost.

I bought three seats of Production Premium CS6 the day it was released, and decided to do this 24 commercial campaign for a TV Network (we have a little spare time to go back FCS7 in case of fire) I am so glad to tell you that the jump went really smooth, it feels so natural, professional editor and director friendly, we did a few things in Motion Five, as standalone application for keying a few shots in green screen, also color corrected the final edits in Davinci Resolve with no effort or trouble.

We found a few bugs, nothing really important, and found really good support on the Adobe people, we are delivering our first 6 Masters today!

I´m feeling distant from trying FCPX now, I have a really good solution in CS6, it´s been compatible so far with our periferal hardware also, as AJA Kona 3G and Decklink Extreme 3D.

I think we are not looking back at Final Cut Pro X

Best to all!

Armando Ciurana

President
Ciurana Dussauge Films Mexico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+6

John DavidsonRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 12:23:22 am

Great to hear, Armando. Out of curiosity, what bugs did you encounter? I installed the trial last night and a few things made me very happy. Love to know what obstacles I should be prepared for though.
Thanks!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris HarlanRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 12:43:34 am

Last night, I XMLed one of my approved spots into Pr6. It came across beautifully--just had to replace some transitions and a futz a tiny bit with the audio. It also gave me a full and accurate list of where the XML didn't match up. This was ProResHQ 1080@25. Playback was terrific. So far, the tools are quite intuitive. I like the mixer. I like the clip audio. I'm feeling happy. Plugins are the big hole right now. David's right about that. But, Continuum will start to fix that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Oliver PetersRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 2:38:22 am

[Chris Harlan] "Plugins are the big hole right now. David's right about that. But, Continuum will start to fix that."

Quite a lot of the current AE filters work just fine, including BCC8, most of the RGS/MB filters, DFT's products, Sapphire and Sapphire Edge. Install them for AE and the ones that work in PPro as well will show up in PPro's effects folders.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 2:44:32 am

[Oliver Peters] "[Chris Harlan] "Plugins are the big hole right now. David's right about that. But, Continuum will start to fix that."

Quite a lot of the current AE filters work just fine, including BCC8, most of the RGS/MB filters, DFT's products, Sapphire and Sapphire Edge. Install them for AE and the ones that work in PPro as well will show up in PPro's effects folders.

- Oliver
"

Sorry. I was way too vague and off target. I had a tooth pulled several hours ago, and I'm a bit hopped up. The plugin market is fine. BCC8 is probably where I am going first. What I was actually babbling about was the lack of included transitions. Just spoiled by the bevy that comes with FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 2:54:01 am

[Chris Harlan] "Just spoiled by the bevy that comes with FCP."

You mean the junk like cube spin in FCP "legacy" ? ;-) You'll note though that PPro does have a very nice 2.5D DVE - something Apple has never been able to deliver for some reason.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 3:27:06 am

[Oliver Peters] "You mean the junk like cube spin in FCP "legacy" ? ;-) "

Hey, man. I find a decent use for that inside cube spin once every year or two.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David LawrenceRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 7:55:06 am

[Chris Harlan] "Hey, man. I find a decent use for that inside cube spin once every year or two."

I'm actually quite partial to the cross zoom effect. It's useful!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 9:43:59 am

[David Lawrence] "I'm actually quite partial to the cross zoom effect. It's useful!
"

Actually, me too. That thing can be a nice little problem solver when it wants to be.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 5:17:49 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Actually, me too. That thing can be a nice little problem solver when it wants to be."

Oh yeah. I can't tell you how many times that little gimmick has saved my butt!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg AndonianRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 5:52:26 am

Chris Harlan What I was actually babbling about was the lack of included transitions.

Someone in the Premiere Pro forum recommended these transitions a while back and I thought they were pretty good, especially "impact flash". And they're free, which is really cool.

The author of these seems pretty committed to Premiere Pro already, as they were apparently re-written to 64-bit recently, and they're boasting on the site that "they're ready for CS6"

They are available for PPro and also FCP 7. There's a couple that are FCP-exclusive, but I suspect that might change before too long... ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 10, 2012 at 9:42:14 am

[Greg Andonian] "Someone in the Premiere Pro forum recommended these transitions a while back and I thought they were pretty good, especially "impact flash". And they're free, which is really cool. "

Well, thank you, sir.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Armando CiuranaRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 1:04:40 am

Hey John! nice hearing from you!

I found that the thumbnail preview of the clips in the project frozen the program a few times (I think it has todo a lot with my Mac Book Pro capabilities, 4K footage trough Firewire 800 cable) but this just happen a few times and corrected itself after 10 secs. It never happened in the two MacPros we have involved in the project.

I exported an XML to Davinci Resolve and I had trouble reading those In Davinci, but then again, I tried a few times later, with no changes in the settings and went very well!

I have heard that when you import XML from FCP7 there´s a few mishaps with the transitions.

I´m beginning to fall in love with CS6, we will continue to work on PP CS6 and also continue to inform what we encounter.

Best

Armando

President

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 9:27:25 am

Hi there - just curious, what are the hardware configurations GPU stuff you're running it on?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 6:09:59 pm

Dear Aindreas:

On the Mac Book Pro:
Intel Core Duo 2.93 GHz
8 Gb Memory
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 9600m GT 512 MB

Best!

President

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 6:26:59 pm

Dear Aindreas:

On the Mac Book Pro:
Intel Core Duo 2.93 GHz
8 Gb Memory
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 9600m GT 512 MB

I Forgot to mention the Mac Pros

MacPro 01 Configuration:
3.2 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Ram 24GB
Graphics: Nvidia Quadro Fx 5600
Aja Kona 3G

MacPro 02 Configuration:
2.4 GHz Eight Core Intel Xeon
Ram 32 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Sorry about the fragmented message

Best!

President

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 6:38:39 pm

Nice one fair play - you're well set with the nvidias there!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

James MortnerRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 8:37:28 am

[Armando Ciurana] " it´s been compatible so far with our periferal hardware also, as AJA Kona 3G"

Hello Armando, just checking, AJA has now released drivers for PPro 6 ? Are you running Mac or Windows.

Thanks in advance for your help !

James Mortner

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 8:55:45 am

Three words:

Barn.

Door.

Wipe.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+4

Neil SadwelkarRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 10:20:27 am

Having left Avid MC a decade ago, like many editors, I had grown comfortable with FCP 7. After FCP X was released I bought it. Then I took a trial of PPro 5, and more recently PPro 6. Even sat through demos at NAB last month.

I think, if you're waiting for FCP 7 to evolve and become FCP 8, that ain't going to happen. From Apple at least. But PPro and MC 6 are moving in that direction. They are both the 'next version of FCP 7'. And they will evolve and get better in that direction.

FCP X is a whole new app, a whole new way of working. Lots of things that we need FCP to do (film editing with keycode, cut list support for one) FCP X will probably never do.

But if you need to quickly put together a set of disparate scenes like in a docu together, quickly classify material without making subclips and bins, to tackle the usual colour jumps, camera shake, and turn out a result and publish it to the world on YouTube or Vimeo or distribute it as a movie to a closed group via, say, Dropbox or some such resource... then FCP X does it all.

That's FCP X's place in the world of tomorrow. For today's broadcast and film needs, probably PPro and MC 6 are better options.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik LindahlRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 11:18:54 am

I was going to ask the same thing - have AJA release drivers for CS6 yet?

I'd love to jump to the new suite asap - when a few key projects are sort out here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GibertiRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 5:40:37 pm

[Neil Sadwelkar] "But if you need to quickly put together a set of disparate scenes like in a docu together, quickly classify material without making subclips and bins, to tackle the usual colour jumps, camera shake, and turn out a result and publish it to the world on YouTube or Vimeo or distribute it as a movie to a closed group via, say, Dropbox or some such resource... then FCP X does it all."

You make it sound as if it's not appropriate for doing broadcast work Neil, which it certainly is.

While it may not be the best tool for episodic work (depending on your workflow, it obviously is for some) It's a lot more than a Dropbox, youtube app...I don't get that point at all.

It outputs beautiful quality broadcast spots very quickly, and that's a pretty big chunk of the pro work being done for broadcast.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil SadwelkarRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 7:04:38 pm

Jim,

I'm most certain it is, though I haven't used it in that application. I was being a bit understated based on personal experience, and to sort of 'flame-proof' myself.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 7:18:59 pm

[Neil Sadwelkar] "and to sort of 'flame-proof' myself."

awe, come on....that's no fun! ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GibertiRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 7:43:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "awe, come on....that's no fun! ;)"

Yeah, why do you think Tim leaves a can of lighter fluid at the top of the forum?

Anyway, I thinks it's great that Adobe has resolved much of the acrimony by delivering a very viable alternative for our community.

I wonder if it had been available when we all woke up with this FCP shock last June, If many of us wouldn't have migrated immediately to it rather than go down the curvy, bumpy adaptation road of FCPX.

I say again, the ball's in Apple's court. If they come back quickly with a real functionality upgrade, then what could be better for the creative world than a genuine competition for our allegiance. A year from now we might have two apps that look very much like what we've all wanted for a number of years, actually developed and refined through this dynamic tension.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 7:53:02 pm

[Jim Giberti] "Anyway, I thinks it's great that Adobe has resolved much of the acrimony by delivering a very viable alternative for our community."

Certainly, and they aren't done. They will keep delivering, and they certainly have everyone's attention. They are also actively searching for feedback.

[Jim Giberti] "I say again, the ball's in Apple's court. If they come back quickly with a real functionality upgrade, then what could be better for the creative world than a genuine competition for our allegiance. A year from now we might have two apps that look very much like what we've all wanted for a number of years, actually developed and refined through this dynamic tension."

Totally. We the editor have always stood to gain from this, even if the present is a bit painful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 10, 2012 at 8:18:05 pm

[Jim Giberti] "Yeah, why do you think Tim leaves a can of lighter fluid at the top of the forum?"

Right next to Zelin's baseball bat and shotgun.

This (and ONLY this one) is a full-contact forum. We just try to minimize kidney punches and anything below the belt.

Play nice or I'll send you over to Uncle Bob's house.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 8:25:37 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I'll send you over to Uncle Bob's house."

Please send me to Uncle Bob's House. I bet that would be a rocking good time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 8:23:05 pm

[Jim Giberti] "I say again, the ball's in Apple's court. If they come back quickly with a real functionality upgrade, then what could be better for the creative world than a genuine competition for our allegiance. A year from now we might have two apps that look very much like what we've all wanted for a number of years, actually developed and refined through this dynamic tension."

Well said!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 9:12:19 pm

[Jim Giberti] "this dynamic tension."
that has the ring to it: both parties have now set out pretty unequivocal, and clearly derived stalls.

I swear: god bless open marketplaces.
best. thing. ever. Adam smith baby, that Adam Smith.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 6:13:22 pm

There´s no drivers for CS6 from AJA yet, We use a Mac Pro early 2008 with the AJA Kona 3G, went well with After Effects Client Monitor

Best

President

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James MortnerRe: A really smooth jump to PP CS6...
by on May 11, 2012 at 9:32:15 am

Ah ok cool, really looking forward to some drivers for this so I can take it for a spin as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]