Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew RichardsSo, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:29:02 pm

In a response to my previous post about the new NVIDIA GTX690, Greg Estes cautioned that comparing Kepler and Fermi was a fool's errand, and AnandTech's benchmarking has borne that out (as has previous Kepler benchmarking):

"Unfortunately for NVIDIA GK104 shows its colors here as a compute-weak GPU, and even with two of them we’re nowhere close to one [Radeon] 7970, let alone the monster that is two. If you’re looking at doing serious GPGPU compute work, you should be looking at [NVIDIA] Fermi, [AMD] Tahiti, or the future [NVIDIA] Big Kepler."

The Fermi GPUs found in the Quadro series, GTX500 series, and the Tesla are far better suited for GPGPU duty than the new Kepler cards. Those are tuned for gaming performance only.

Takeaway: counting CUDA cores doesn't tell the whole story when you are choosing a GPU for your rig.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:49:45 pm

[Andrew Richards] "The Fermi GPUs found in the Quadro series, GTX500 series, and the Tesla are far better suited for GPGPU duty than the new Kepler cards. Those are tuned for gaming performance only. "/I>

So the GTX 580 would be better than the new 680?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:55:06 pm

[Herb Sevush] "So the GTX 580 would be better than the new 680?"

For Adobe or DaVinci duty, yeah, that's what it looks like. Maybe if you are doing Maya or something like that the 600s could be better, though I'm not sure how much that kind of work overlaps with the things high-end gaming taps in those cards.

Compute performance is what you are looking for to accelerate NLEs (as I understand it).

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 3, 2012 at 4:41:30 pm

Think you may want to go back and re-read the Anandtech review - they say the compute test they did does NOT work with dual GPU cards. Look at every other test and the new 680 and 690 cards bury everything out there. CUDA is a separate technology from Fermi and Kepler. It all depends on the application and how it is optimized for a particular technology. For instance 3D Studio Max will take advantage of every CUDA core available even from mix & match Quadro's and GeForce cards in the same workstation!

There is no evidence that an app like Premiere that can take advantage of CUDA technology will be better or worse using Kepler vs. Fermi - we won't know until CS6 is released, Adobe certifies the new cards and folks actually put them to the test in real-world situations.

I'm thinking that nVidia wouldn't spend 4 years developing Kepler as a upgrade to Fermi if they didn't think it was a good thing?

From nVidia:

"CUDA 5 and the Kepler GPU architecture don’t just increase application performance; they enable a more powerful parallel programming model that expands the possibilities of GPU computing, and language features that improve programmer productivity."

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 3, 2012 at 5:56:21 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Think you may want to go back and re-read the Anandtech review - they say the compute test they did does NOT work with dual GPU cards."

The first one, yes, but the one immediately after that test does optimize for multiple GPUs. And Tahiti dual blew the Kepler dual out of the water.

[Lance Bachelder] "I'm thinking that nVidia wouldn't spend 4 years developing Kepler as a upgrade to Fermi if they didn't think it was a good thing? "

There must also be a reason there are no Fermi Quardos or Teslas (yet). Kepler (so far) is lousy on GPGPU tasks compared to its predecessor and its peers from AMD. AnandTech closed with a reference to a forthcoming Big Kepler, which would presumably be a different story and be the future of the Quadro and Tesla products.

[Lance Bachelder] "There is no evidence that an app like Premiere that can take advantage of CUDA technology will be better or worse using Kepler vs. Fermi - we won't know until CS6 is released, Adobe certifies the new cards and folks actually put them to the test in real-world situations."

NVIDIA is pushing their Fermi-powered Quadro and Tesla products for CS6. Does Adobe rank the cards' performance when they certify them?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sohrab SandhuRe: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 3, 2012 at 6:54:15 pm

Guys

Recently when i was looking to buy a video card to go with Premiere in my new PC, i came across this article. It talks in detail about how CUDA cores work with premiere and how a more expensive card like GTX-680 might not be the best option for a computer with a lighter configuration. Though the article is primarily based on Adobe Premiere 5.5, I am sure its gonna stay true for CS6 as well.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Apologies if this link has been pasted on this forum before.

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi & Adobe PPro

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 3, 2012 at 8:01:21 pm

Of course they're pushing their Quadro cards, they're huge money makers, but they're not the fastest cards available, the GeForce cards are the faster and always will be because gaming drives GPU technology, not Quadro users.

The GPU Tech Conf. is coming up where I'm sure we'll hear more about CUDA 5 and Kepler - it's new stuff just like Ivy-Bridge, we have to wait and see...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: So, about that GPU I linked to the other day...
by on May 4, 2012 at 4:59:43 am

[Andrew Richards] "Takeaway: counting CUDA cores"

Woah,

And a new voice talent exercise has thus been born.

As fast as you can...

counting CUDA cores - counting CUDA cores - counting CUDE cores - counting CUDA cores...

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]