Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew RichardsOT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:56:02 pm

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5795/nvidia-unveils-geforce-gtx-690-dual-gk10...

Two of NVIDIA's new flagship GK104 GPUs on a single card, with 4GB total vRAM and 3,072 total CUDA cores between them, and it pulls as much juice as a 27" iMac (300W).

Beast.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TImothy AuldRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:04:53 pm

OK. Wow.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CardonnaRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:13:56 pm

What does this offer over the cuda 4000?

Ric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:24:43 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "What does this offer over the cuda 4000?"

According to the press release [link], more than ten times as many CUDA cores -- 3,072 for the GTX 690 vs 256 for the Quadro 4000.

That is not a typo.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg EstesRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 2, 2012 at 2:02:13 am

Hey there.

Be careful comparing Fermi cores to Kepler cores. It's a different architecture so it's not an apples and apples comparison.

Greg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 2, 2012 at 3:57:31 am

Indeed Apples have almost no place in this discussion Greg! :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 3, 2012 at 7:42:45 pm

[Greg Estes] "Be careful comparing Fermi cores to Kepler cores. It's a different architecture so it's not an apples and apples comparison."

Noted -- thanks for the clarification!

For anyone who doesn't recognize the name, Greg Estes is the marketing executive responsible for media markets for NVIDIA.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:45:50 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Two of NVIDIA's new flagship GK104 GPUs on a single card, with 4GB total vRAM and 3,072 total CUDA cores between them, and it pulls as much juice as a 27" iMac (300W).

Beast.

Best,
Andy"

And think of the money you can save on a coffee warming plate - just set your cup over box with the card and you're good to go!

300 watts? Yikes.

Time to switch to an all LED studio light strategy to balance out the energy profile!

Still for you big iron devotees this has to be excellent news.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frank GothmannRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:54:44 pm

[Bill Davis] "Time to switch to an all LED studio light strategy to balance out the energy profile!"

It not that bad given the performance. Lots of high-end gaming PCs with multiple GPUS draw a lot more power and some people use three gpus. Some of the newer mainboards I am checking out for a server built have 7 PCIe slots, all 16 lanes (which has been unheard of pre i7). Perfect for a great server built.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg AndonianRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:24:44 pm

WOW! I bet you could do some serious 4K editing with that thing...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:11:26 pm

It is interesting that they doubled the GPU but with only a 50% increase in power. Yes 300 W is a lot but in an environment where RT performance matters, the computer will not be running all night rendering.

What matters is overall efficiency and actual power consumption. Many facilities have beer fridges that draw more power.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 1, 2012 at 12:32:31 am

[Michael Gissing] "What matters is overall efficiency and actual power consumption. Many facilities have beer fridges that draw more power."

We must be working in the wrong facilities....!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 1, 2012 at 4:54:35 am

This is the dilemma - stay Mac and always be relegated to sub-standard graphics cards, especially those from ATI. Or go Windows with CS6 and be able to use these incredible cards. The added benefit with Premiere and Mercury is because so much work can be off-loaded to graphics card there is not the constant need to upgrade workstations - just swap out graphics cards once a year and your good!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik MickelsonRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 1, 2012 at 6:27:20 am

The card is Pcie3. That's the big deal. Twice the processing power of Pcie2. So at half the voltage it will equal a pcie2 card, or in x8 slot it will perform the same as a Pcie2 in a 16x slot. See what that means? It will not matter the slots multiplier, you will not have to worry what slots are open. I don't think anything can saturate a Pcie2 bus except for uncompressed footage. So put the raid on the x16 slot and the video card on a x8.

CrippleBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB ram, SLeopard 10.6.8, FCPStudio 3, QT 7

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 1, 2012 at 1:42:51 pm

[Erik Mickelson] "The card is Pcie3. That's the big deal. Twice the processing power of Pcie2."

PCIe 3.0 is indeed a big deal, but it means double the effective bandwidth, not double the processing power.

[Erik Mickelson] "It will not matter the slots multiplier, you will not have to worry what slots are open."

It would matter less compared to today's constraints on a Mac Pro, but we don't even know if the Mac Pro will have a successor, by any name, with slots of any kind.

[Erik Mickelson] "I don't think anything can saturate a Pcie2 bus except for uncompressed footage."

Uncompressed 10-bit 1080i29.97 is about 250 MB/sec, or half of one lane of PCIe 2.0. A 4x PCIe 2.0 slot would be saturated with 8 streams. The highest end GPUs can push past the bandwidth limits of PCIe 2.0 8x under load, but most GPUs do not. Putting lesser GPU cards in a 16x slot is for power requirements as much as it is for bandwidth.

[Erik Mickelson] "So put the raid on the x16 slot and the video card on a x8."

You'd need some seriously fast storage to pull more than a PCIe 2.0 8x slot can support, not to mention an HBA with more than 8 lanes (and I'm not aware of any PCIe 2.0 16x HBAs).

Someday soon we'll surely find ways to need all the bandwidth available in PCIe 3.0 16x and 8x slots (expansion chassis is the obvious application), but today, single cards of any sort will struggle to fill those pipes. That's a great problem to have. In a couple years, when we have 12 Gbps SAS3, we'll be glad to have PCIe 3.0 slots to saturate.

Then you can do all the stereoscopic 4K multi-cam you want!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 1, 2012 at 12:53:04 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "This is the dilemma - stay Mac and always be relegated to sub-standard graphics cards, especially those from ATI. Or go Windows with CS6 and be able to use these incredible cards."

Honestly, if you are shifting to Adobe, unless you need ProRes encoding, or want to run Smoke (as it stands), or have some other OS X exclusive requirement, I can't see any good reason today to stick with OS X. I have my own bias for OS X, but I'm also not an editor. I have my own personal hangups with Windows, but if you are buying a workstation, it is hard to justify a Mac for Adobe CS6 under the current circumstances.

Maybe Apple will surprise us with a worthy successor to the Mac Pro this sumer, and maybe Intel and Microsoft's shift to EFI will prompt NVIDIA and AMD to ship more Mac-friendly GPUs, but today those things aren't true.

Like I said, I'm a big-time Mac bigot, but even I can't justify choosing OS X and the currently available Mac hardware for running Adobe CS6.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jonah WalkerRe: OT: Drool fodder for CUDA devotees
by on May 3, 2012 at 7:39:18 pm

Yes, it is a weird time to be a pro mac user. Since Premiere Pro CS 5.5 I have looking longingly at a custom built system from Puget Systems and this GTX 690 makes it seem like an even better solution.

I would love to see a speed comparison for CUDA on the GTX 690 vs the Tesla 2070 with Premiere Pro CS6. I know the TESLA still wins in memory so would likely blow the GTX out of the water, but I wonder about 448 CUDA cores to over 3000!

The thing is I still love Mac, and will probably want one for my regular computing even if I end up with a Windows Workstation as my editing and graphics station, which is of course another expense, but unless Mac does something surprising and makes and awesome new workstation with support for new NVIDIA CUDA cards I think a PC is likely in my future.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Video Editor, After Effects Artist
http://www.whaleofatale.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]