Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Final Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Craig SeemanFinal Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:21:51 pm

A very interesting article on Ken Stone's site by Rick Young, author of FCP books and founder of UK FCP user's group.

As to Hell and Back, it appears that the Devil is in the Compound Clips as others have mentioned on this forum.

Final Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_road_young.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bobby MoscaRe: Final Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:48:33 pm

Sounds familiar. Although I'm not sure if compound clips per se is the cause. A short time lapse brought my X to the same grinding halt. The compound clips were a big reason I liked X (while it worked). It's a pity to have to avoid them, but now that I've got tabbed sequences again (among other things), I'm good.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DobsonRe: Final Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:14:23 pm

I'm amazed Rick returned to FCPX after the experiences he had.

I've had similar, not quite as extreme, situations myself.

No, it's not operator error, its beta software meltdown.

But now those situations with crazy spinning balls, trashing preferences, re-downloading the core software, etc etc , seem to have largely disappeared with FCPX 10.0.4.

I've learnt how to avoid trouble I guess, minimise compound clip use, edit with rendering turned off, keep project sizes to a manageable length, and then compile the finished programme. A bit like writing a book, working on individual chapters and then finally compiling it into the finish piece.

So a bit more love than hate at the moment.

I look forward to the next update - and the one after that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: Final Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:53:06 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I've learnt how to avoid trouble I guess, minimise compound clip use, edit with rendering turned off, keep project sizes to a manageable length, and then compile the finished programme"

None of this speaks well for a program that was supposedly re-engineered to take advantage of the latest machines and 64-bit horsepower. You're describing a program that acts like it's running 10 years in the past.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Mark DobsonRe: Final Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:31:51 am

[Oliver Peters] "None of this speaks well for a program that was supposedly re-engineered to take advantage of the latest machines and 64-bit horsepower. You're describing a program that acts like it's running 10 years in the past."

Yup.

And I've stopped using Magic Bullet because watching paint dry is more fun as they say.

But I'm still using it because it does things for me that no other NLE does!

And I'm just completing my 30th project on FCPX.

And it works brilliantly with EOS C300 Files.

And whens it working well you can see what the designers were getting at.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fredy SchwerdtnerRe: Final Cut Pro X and the Road to Hell (and back again) by Rick Young
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:58:10 am

What is a good manageable length for you ?

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel 4 Core i5
16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:52:47 am

[Fredy Schwerdtner] "What is a good manageable length for you ?"

For anything complex about 10min.

However I've just done a 70 min multi cam.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]