Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

BBC switch to Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ken PughBBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:56:16 pm

Just had this email from an editor friend of mine - it's second hand info so I can't personally vouch for it's accuracy - but no reason to distrust.

"Just heard that the Beeb have ditched FCP and bought 1400 Premieres"

Best, Ken.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 5:04:24 pm

This is old news, an announcement about the BBC's purchase of a couple of thousand PPro seats was made in 2010. Since then it hasn't been spotted "in the wild" at the Beeb. Perhaps they were waiting for CS6 before they rolled it out?

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil PatienceRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:57:11 pm

I have been trying to find out about this since it popped up in another thread but it does appear not to be in use yet. As Steve says its based on an old press release.
There was speculation from one BBC producer I asked that some departments used FCP for "self op" work rather than programme making proper and that it may be to replace that, which would exlain the volume of licenses perhaps.
If I get any actual sightings "in the wild" I will report.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason PorthouseRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 9:48:48 pm

Ditto. Haven't seen any Premiere seats in any of the suites I've worked in, and none of the tech staff I've had contact with are talking anything other than Avid and FCP7. Will keep an eye out though...

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EwartRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 8:26:17 pm

Hello Neil...long time since Roseman days...I believe this was an Adobe Press Release as they supplied premiere for free

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg AndonianRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:57:47 am

It seems really bizarre to me that after all the time that has passed since this story was first made public, the only thing anyone knows regarding Premiere Pro at the BBC is that the BBC bought over a thousand copies of Premiere Pro. Aside from that the only thing that's been said about this is what they "might" be using it for.

This whole thing is starting to sound like a story on Unsolved Mysteries or something.

I can see the host right now...

"...And THAT's how the mystery of the Loch Nes Monster was finally unraveled for good. Now that we know the truth behind it, it's actually surprising it took this long to finally figure everything out.
And now before we go, I want to remind our viewers: If you know anything, and I mean ANYTHING, about the whereabouts of the copies of Premiere Pro that were purchased by the BBC... call our toll-free number immediately".

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ronald LindeboomRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:01:47 pm

[Greg Andonian] "It seems really bizarre to me that after all the time that has passed since this story was first made public, the only thing anyone knows regarding Premiere Pro at the BBC is that the BBC bought over a thousand copies of Premiere Pro. Aside from that the only thing that's been said about this is what they "might" be using it for. This whole thing is starting to sound like a story on Unsolved Mysteries or something."

I find absolutely NOTHING about it odd.

Companies like the BBC make it a matter of policy to not allow their people to either directly or indirectly endorse a product. In fact I have heard of people dismissed because they violated policy in these kinds of matters.

Why?

I was on a phonecall just last week with a company trying to get them to do a story with us for the magazine and the production team were gung ho but they couldn't get clearance from the suits to do it. The reason they were given was that they "do not wish to lose any leverage they have in negotiating for a better price in the future."

Many of the largest companies -- companies like Disney, for example -- will refuse to clear projects for publication that include stories about the gear and equipment and software used. They believe that the end product is the story, not how they got there.

When I first heard the story about the BBC and Adobe Premiere Pro I didn't think for a second that we'd get the story. We didn't even bother trying. We have been down that road many times. Most lead to a dead end. The bigger and more storied the company, the greater chance of a dead end.

My advice: don't hold your breath waiting for information about software used, etc., from companies like the Beeb.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul DickinRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:26:54 pm

Hi
In 2010 the BBC announced 'Project Fabric' as the new metamorphosis of its Digital Media Initiative - aka Don't Mention It... Google why ;-(

In this video a slide shows the proposed use of Premiere Pro (and FCP) - its discussed at about 11 mins in:

" We will be able to exchange material between what we call 'Craft Editing Systems', FCP - we have 2500 - and Avid - we have even more, and 'Desktop Editing Systems' (Premiere Pro and Cinergy).

Now the desktop editing systems are playing a very important role - when you produce a programme you have to book a Final Cut suite to do your editing, and you have to book that at a certain time.

What will happen is that everyone - literally everybody - will have access to desktop editing systems where they can actually choose whenever, wherever,to start using a desktop editing system.
So this has gigantic implications for the whole of the BBC.

All of a sudden people that on paper don't have the qualities to do this editing have access to editing machines, and they might be very good..."

There is further info about 'tools for everybody' and the 'experience of the editor' at 17.40 mins in.

The whole presentation is interesting from a Cloud collaboration point of view - the BBC's thinking (as of 2010...)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve ConnorRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:58:36 pm

[Paul Dickin] "The whole presentation is interesting from a Cloud collaboration point of view - the BBC's thinking (as of 2010...)
"

I wonder if the cuts announced in-between may have changed their plans

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:21:27 pm

James Murdoch, Rupert Murdoch, Jeremy Hunt, David Cameron.

Four little Indians had a nice little plan to kneecap the BBC and serve its head on a platter to BSkyB.

Not looking so rosy now!

Didn't the BBC make the odd on air mistake pronouncing Hunt's name? something about the first consonant getting swapped out? :)

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SandersRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 7:17:25 pm

I only know of one production at the BBC using premier. At that's basically because the producer only uses PC's and doens't like Avid - totally mad! The VT editor is constantly hitting her head apparently. She cuts a very similar show for a different producer in the same dept on Avid and gets it done in half the time!

I suspect - and will to find out - what's happened is that the BBC bought a blanket licence for the production suite or master collection as it worked out cheaper than buying separate licences for AE and PS, which instantly gave them 1200 copies of Premier - if they want it or not.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:13:31 pm

surely the interesting number is the 2500 seats of FCP7 mentioned above? - which BBC lists as equivalent to Avid - as a 'craft editor' in 2010.

the point would be what happens to those 2500 seats with FCP7 EOL?
Avid might be the simple answer, but I'd guess, in entire ignorance, that the BBC techie bods are, at the very least, taking a somewhat newly serious look at PPro 6, which they, like, have anyway...

to quote Scott Simmons from editblog:

https://twitter.com/#!/editblog/status/195191565260558336

If we all start to sense a communal dance towards Premiere at the same time, then the Facility scale pickup and implementation could be pretty big and pretty fast?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher TravisRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:00:02 pm

On a side note, we are thinking of going over to PP at our place and we called a few agencies to see how many PP freelancers they had. The response was not encouraging. Out of 3 agencies, 2 of them said they had about 10-20 freelancers who knew PP, and the third had never even heard of it (!?)

It hasn't totally discouraged my head of production (she remembers when it was hard to find FCP editors) but it has made everyone else a bit nervous about switching. It becomes harder for me to sell the switch when as far as our big 3 agencies are concerned there are only about 20-30 competent professionals in the city.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:16:02 pm

sure, of course - that stands to reason. 6 isn't even out yet. anyone who is going to be premiere is say six months or so away from being premiere in anger? FCP7 will take quite a while to bleed out anyway.

The point though is that switching to premiere as you put it there... involves booting up PPro CS6, which you presumably will have anyway. And it just sits there gathering steam while you ride out FCP7 and roadtest CS6. Runs on the same hardware, can (more or less) speak to the same input video hardware and monitoring, I think its the natural successor to FCP in a broad range of FCP scenarios because it was built specifically to replace FCP. And it was built by Adobe, who know how to put this stuff together.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher TravisRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:24:50 pm

You're right.

These things take time and frankly, I don't know what I'd do if we suddenly went ALL PP ALL THE TIME overnight. I'm an FCP boy and I need a while to adjust anyway. I think the best course of action is to install CS6 on a couple of seats and for me to lead the way in editing as much as possible in PP and be patient while we wait for the rest of the industry to catch up. Assuming that this is in fact the direction the industry is heading. We could end up high and dry in 12 months time with a shop full of PP suites and no freelancers to use them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:04:06 pm

me FCP boy too - a pretty substantial shift to premiere wouldn't surprise me greatly - it looks the ticket to me, and its got a fair bit of a head of old steam going on - proof in pudding though - if we all sit down to it and find ourselves rocking away fairly merrily in a couple of weeks, then that'll probably start to accumulate as a shared experience.

If it tastes as good as the spec sheet, GUI and trimming tools look - we're all going to start saying it to each other aren't we? If it becomes self evident that it's up for it, and its the easiest reach over from FCP... .....well, we'll see - we won't know for months yet probably?

I just got a full retail license design premium CS5 for two hundred and fifty quid off gum tree - that's me upgrading to production premiere before may 7th to 5.5 for 380 quid and getting 6.0 into the bargain.

Don't anyone please ask me what I was using before this. It was shameful but now I am legit -
thus do we see the power of CS6.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ewan LimRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:46:59 am

I just need to chime in here about broadcasters. BBC might be different though...
Finance departments usually don't approve blanket licenses. Usually single licenses.

If BBC does buy master collection to save money rather than premiere pro then I would have to send in my CV.

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James EwartRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 8:30:31 pm

yup

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew JohnstoneRe: BBC switch to Premiere?
by on Nov 27, 2013 at 9:23:20 am

Was down at the Beeb this week and the hot word from my source in the knob twiddling dept. was that two peeps from Adobe in California had been to see the engineers to discuss Prem Pro. FCPX has not even been considered.

From what I understand the engineers at Beeb are might concerned about the time that FCP7 takes to render HD programming, given then it is only 32 bit and does not make optimal use of all the cores on the Mac. "30 mins to render and 8 minute film...ridiculous". The other reason that Beeb like the cut of PP's jib is that cross platform thing...Mac's will be dumped in favour of cheaper PC's

Keep it under your hat though...

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy