Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

FCP X media management solutions?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Garrett GibbonsFCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:41:09 pm

Okay, so there are a few more core features coming to FCP X and Apple swears its commitment to Pros, promising that it's not just a prosumer product. Sure. We believe you.

Here's my holdback: media management. Let me explain.

The "event"-style approach in FCP X seems great to me if one has no more than say, 10-12 events (or projects) to deal with. I have hundreds of FCP 7 projects, many of which contain dozens and dozens of sequences, nested sequences, etc.... I probably have 35-50 main professional projects each year, all of which have their own .fcp file.

I send .fcp files to directors and producers out of state, they reconnect to media on their end, and revisions and tweaks are simple. A FCP X event -> XML -> FCP X event seems ridiculous, and the disk-end structure of FCP X events makes sharing very cumbersome.

Also, let's talk about bins. I know that one of the selling points of FCP X is that the engineers have re-designed editing to meet modern needs. It seems that bins have been removed from the organization process in lieu of these auto groupings that neither meet my needs nor actually work in most cases (2-up shots, medium, close-up, wide, etc...). More commonly, I need to put 20-100 files from a scene into one bin, log them, and then create a new bin for the next 100 shots from the next scene. In FCP X the interface becomes ridiculously cluttered with even one such scene in the works, let alone the mandatory retention of every "event" (or job/project) that I've hypothetically ever used FCP X to work on.

I'm all about rethinking approaches and staying nimble. I'm 31 years old and have been learning new software at a rapid pace since the early 90s when I was 11-12. I wish that FCP X evangelists would stop using that criticism of anyone who dislikes the clunky, smalltown mentality that seems to have designed this event-based organization structure.

What I'm really interested in (and I'm sincerely interested, not just trying to complain about perceived shortcomings in FCP X) is how YOU are able to keep large numbers of projects, files and sequences organized in FCP X. If it's true that this product is being used for broadcast and for professional work (and by "professional" I don't mean getting paid $15 to edit your nephew's bar mitzvah), I know that someone is finding better ways to use this app than I have.

Has anyone written up or posted a screencast that demonstrates a solid professional media management workflow? I've seen some attempts at that but so far I've seen nothing that addresses a high-volume client base.

Thank you in advance,

Garrett Gibbons
http://www.garrettgibbons.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 9:30:03 pm

I'd check out jim Gilberti's posts, he's really been through the wars with X and he's persevering. Ditto Seeman and Davis.

Also, personal plea - *please* don't freak me out with premiere being a mac stability dog since ver.3 - adobe landing PPro 6 would be good for the sanity of the world in market option terms. Also the Conan guys seem to genuinely like the look of it...

On the upside however, digital film cameras are now going for the price of a second hand toyota corrolla with god's own colour timing suite thrown in, and well, symphony is yours for buttons until june. As interesting times go, there are much much worse these.

Weirdly I wonder if this isn't a better editing marketplace reality than the one where there was a competent FCP update (if one were to term it in that fashion).

Apple unleashed a loony firestorm of competition when they vacated their seat didn't they?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Garrett GibbonsRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:00:17 pm

I agree that the competition for FCP's top spot is spawning some awesome options. Smoke 2013 and Edius are great examples of emerging options for most editors, though the $3500 Smoke 2013 pricepoint is too high and Edius isn't on Mac.

Thanks for the Jim Gilberti tip! I'll look into what he's written up.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:15:06 pm

[Garrett Gibbons] "I send .fcp files to directors and producers out of state, they reconnect to media on their end, and revisions and tweaks are simple. A FCP X event -> XML -> FCP X event seems ridiculous, and the disk-end structure of FCP X events makes sharing very cumbersome."

Garrett, have you looked into using disk images? Here is a good starting point: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_managing_disk_image_martin.html
Each event resides in its own disk image, so it's really easy to control what FCPX sees at a given time. When you want to backup, copy, or move the project, just backup, copy or move the disk image.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:17:05 am

Jeremy, thanks for the Ken Stone link. I read all of the articles on his page and found them highly useful (as always - I should have looked there first). The disk image solution is a bit clunky in many ways but in some ways it's more elegant than relinking hundreds of files. It begins to fall apart when you're working with proxies of R3D files and you need to reconform, but I'm sure there are ways to make it happen that I just need to learn. Thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:49:43 am

No problem, Gary ;)

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HadleyRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:27:56 am

Re: Disk Images. I loved the concept. But I was having terrible performance issues with a XDCAM 100bmps multi cam project and the first thing Apple told me to do was copy the event out of the disk image. Their official policy seems to be "don't use disk images." Why? They couldn't say, just that it was part of the trouble shooting protocol. So, now I am not using sparse disk images which is a shame.

Any one with some real computer chops care to comment?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:58:13 am

[Michael Hadley] "Any one with some real computer chops care to comment?"

I am not going to pretend I have real computer chops. I don't.

I do have user chops.

As a user, this seems really wrong to me. I know it's posted on reputable websites. I know it's been discussed, and i know that some people have had success with it. Frankly, when people said to use it, I would immediately write a knee jerk response saying saying something to the effect of "don't do it". I stopped as I don't know the technical reason not to, so then I started to think that perhaps it was a valid, working model.

The biggest reason I can give, is that it's not in the manual. Not like that fcpx manual is a wealth of information, and when it comes to production and post, rules are meant to be broken, but the manual does have media management suggestions and sparse disk images are not in there. My user-based guess is that they are some sort of weird disk wrapper type of thing, and with the constant touching of the database that fcpx does, perhaps it's a bad idea. Perhaps it's a layer of abstraction that doesnt follow proper hfs+ protocols, or maybe it's simpler than that. Perhaps due they way they work in the OS, they simply aren't fast enough to use due to limited overhead. I don't know. I do know that for some reason, it doesn't make sense. Maybe that will change one day, but I doubt it.

Admittedly, it's a very clever work around, but in reality, the FCP Event is already in a tidy little folder that is named exactly what your Event is named in the Browser. Projects work the same way.

For 5 bucks, get Event Manager X that manages these folders for you, very easily, very quickly, and "properly".

If you need to move a Projects and Events to another drive, you simply find the Final Cut Events, and Final Cut Projects folders, look inside for the corresponding folders that match your Events and Projects browser, and drag them to the new drive, with fcpx quit of course.

I highly recommend reading the manual for fcpx media management. It's a quick and concise read, has decently powerful options, and officially supported. You are not able to "trim media" on Projects/Events at this time. It's not perfect.

Sorry to not have the technical answer, but Michael, I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:01:35 am

[Michael Hadley] "Re: Disk Images. I loved the concept. But I was having terrible performance issues with a XDCAM 100bmps multi cam project and the first thing Apple told me to do was copy the event out of the disk image. Their official policy seems to be "don't use disk images." Why? They couldn't say, just that it was part of the trouble shooting protocol. So, now I am not using sparse disk images which is a shame.

Any one with some real computer chops care to comment?"

Well, that's the downside. It does slow down your disk performance. I noticed this before but I just ran a test on my Pegasus R6 with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. Pegasus root or folder: 510MBPS Write; 475MBPS Read. 100 GB Disk Image on Pegasus: 300MBPS Write; 250MBPS Read. It works fine for me because I'm running AVCHD, with one or two layers for most of my work. With multicam you obviously need to stream multiple layers simultaneously. While your speed may be fine directly from the RAID, you're throttling down the performance to an unacceptable level with the disk image.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RichardsRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:13:07 pm

[Michael Hadley] "Any one with some real computer chops care to comment?"

There is some system overhead involved with interacting with a mounted disk image. Disk images are treated by the OS as any other mount, but they are still subject to the physical I/O limitations of the storage they are sitting on, which might also have other I/O going on.

In your case, you were multiplying that effect by calling multiple streams of media from a virtual disk and probably also trying to write back to the same physical disk (I'm assuming your Project storage is either on the same disk image or the same physical HDD). If you have a fast RAID or SSD, that might be able to overcome the bottleneck by brute force, but if you were doing that from a single HDD, the bottleneck could be pretty acute.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HadleyRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:18:24 pm

Thanks. FWIW, I found I got a big performance boost once I exited the sparse disk concept AND separated my project and event folder, with the former being on internal system disk.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris KennyRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:50:33 pm

It's a shame licensing issues prevented (first-party) ZFS support from ever materializing on OS X. ZFS makes creating file systems as easy as creating folders -- it would perfectly support a "one file system per project" approach with none of the overhead of disk images. Useful for Media Composer as well (which like FCP X also wants its media files to live in a special location relative to the root of the file system -- and doesn't even organize them as well as FCP X does.)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Andrew RichardsRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:04:01 pm

Not to mention modern filesystem technologies like concurrency, metadata written in the correct byte order, sub-second date pr....

HFS+ might be the single biggest wart on OS X today. It really is a shame ZFS didn't happen. The only filesystems I know of besides HFS+ that support hosting FCPX Events and Projects storage are Xsan and ExFAT.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:21:51 pm

Hi, Garrett.

It seems that you haven't played much with FCPX?

Fist of all, you are not locked to the auto analysis Keywords. You can turn those off right away.

Secondly, keywords are similar to bins. They don't have to be an auto search, they can be whatever you want them to be. You can setup separate "Smart Collections" if you want the auto search based on criteria that you choose.

If not, you can select mass grouping of clips in the Event and assign a Keyword to them which essentially puts them in a "bin". You can then choose to further sort them out from there, or not.

FCPX allows batch renaming of selected clips with recursive numbering. If you have presets setup, it's very simple and fast.

I would suggest downloading the FCPX demo and having a look.

You can swap Events and Projects as long as everyone has the same media.

If you have XSan, you can setup different SAN locations for different projects.

If not, use Event Manger X to manage what Projects/Events are loaded at what time. it's very easy and fluid, and yes it's different than FCP7.

Some people like it, some don't. I find that the Event side of FCPX is quite powerful, but it does not operate like FCP7, nor should it be treated as such.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:50:23 pm

hey jeremy - have you read the X rollercoaster post below? - honest to god - didn't that scare the bejeesus out of you? It did me.

that was an editor camping scare story.

isn't it possible that this is simply not yet primetime software? (which begs the question of when will it be? remember Jim's nightmare post?) -

and I mean this - these qualms I state after listening to really interesting stuff on that post show about the power of the event keyword stuff. And my deep love of the attached CC power windows masks whatnot.

As in I'm personally pretty sanguine about the options at this point - hey, who wouldn't be right?

its pretty much a glittering field really, and I'm all for FCPX staking its claim, but:

completely destroying all work in progress like FCPX is showing an occasional propensity for, makes for pretty unnerving reading.

You'd have to think they really do need a sacrosanct autosave vault.

this no more save stuff is just bupkis.

(I won't venture back to the "can Apple actually, really, honestly do this class of software thing when they fired everyone who knew anything?" meme anymore.. than this sentence does....;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 11:27:23 pm

Bejeesus perhaps comes to mind.

Do I think FCPX is young yet? Absolutely. There's work to be done.

Even though it's been getting better, we haven't put it in to production quite yet, and like you, I dont know when that's going to be. Maybe soon, maybe not. Cs6 appears to be a winner, but media management needs help there as well.

Right now Smoke looks like it has great media management, even a dedicated archive mode.

I would say to download the demo and see for oneself. I would also say to manually backup early and often.

Speedgrade seems to have an autosave feature, I think Lightworks does too. A save as for fcpx would be nice, or at least a better way to control the autosaves that is beyond "every 15 minutes or until FCPX detects a change".

Project collaboration should be high on any NLE's short list. They all do it differently and at varying levels of good to in progress. Avid is winning that race as it always been performing in that arena. Media100 had solid tools too, so I imagine it still does. And FCPX has decent tools too, actually. It doesn't do well with parting pieces out, but it does do well at moving/copying large wads of data. And it also goes from low res proxy to original/high res with a pref change.

The recent FCPX "roadmap" seems like the are going to be focusing on the database in the form of native media support, along with the background media optimization. It sounds good, but we won't know how good until the product is in our hands.

It's all still very much up in the air.

I don't know what makes things go bad. It is true that FCPX is too sensitive at this point, unless you are very careful.

In regards to Garrett's post, I think organization is very nice in X, but it does require a modicum of know how and reeducation. It does not put everything in to auto collections if you don't want it to, just as an example.

Looks like we will know more by the fall.

Still waiting for everything to change, I guess. For as much as we know, we don't know anything.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 16, 2012 at 11:43:53 pm

can claim a copy on a lappie that literally barely/does not run it, but yes - sure thing - its still really interesting software, and they worked like crazy on it, but some stuff i find it hard to get past - the scaling, not that I've really tried, but I feel, when I look at it, I feel deep down that it is intended for a finite number of clips, in a finitely complex situation. A few events - exposing one keyword at a time. A couple of shots of the Audi, in a promo spot, as it were.

I find it hard to shake the notion that there is a real limitation of use case scenario baked right into FCPX. But I could be very wrong.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:06:53 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I find it hard to shake the notion that there is a real limitation of use case scenario baked right into FCPX. But I could be very wrong."

We can only speculate.

Audio editing aside, and I'm not discounting that as its a huge part of picture editing, when new features have been added in FCPX, they are generally pretty good. Multicam (if using a simple audio edit) is really nice.

You are right that it feels sort of incomplete, and Apple's announcements prove that notion. It's what we have always talked about. It is brand new and it's going to take a while to ramp up to a full blown system.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1800

Is it ready for primetime? I think it might be for some but not for others.

The fragmentation continues in a big big way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:14:10 am

No mate;) Audi - not audio.

I was referring to apple's reduced case, idealised, we all just have a couple of car shots with keywords to edit together thing...

It'll be interesting to see if and when they drop that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:30:01 am

Yeah, I love how the early FCP X demo was based around this gorgeous, well-lit, properly color balanced, graded footage. "See? Everything looks good in FCP X."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:32:24 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "No mate;) Audi - not audio.
"

I was tracking, I just jumped from crag to crag.

I knew you were talking about the FCPX Audi demo.

My thoughts are that @radicalmedia is the real greenhouse for FCPX.

50 seat collaboration.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:49:03 am

Absolutely. It's great that that's happening. Although I bet even the radical media guy gets a shiver off the roller coaster story if he reads it. That's Blair witch for editors.. ;)

Seriously you're right though- it's great X is getting a shot in a facility.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:12:04 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "in a finitely complex situation. A few events - exposing one keyword at a time. A couple of shots of the Audi, in a promo spot, as it were.

I find it hard to shake the notion that there is a real limitation of use case scenario baked right into FCPX. But I could be very wrong."

The feature film I am currently finishing has 2543 clips in an event with 8 projects in as well as dozens of keyword collections and it works fine. Only limitation is project length, but even that seems to be much improved in 10.04.

I make copies of all my project and event files before the end of every edit session, it's a bit tedious but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the event of any disaster scenarios. We do need Apple to let us save backups on different drives though as in FCP Legacy, this would get round any project corruption due to drive issues.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:39:30 pm

well, that blows my guff out of the water, although I meant it - I do feel cramped up there in the event, pecking away at keywords and looking at the lozenges, but its obvious that that really is just me. I likes a big second monitor of bins with the bin contents spatially arranged to my taste. I think I'm an editing slob.

what's the movie?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:45:19 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "what's the movie?"

A low(ish) budget film called "Chakara" high six figure budget and shot in India. Started the edit a while ago hoping that I would have better audio out options by the time I had finished, fortunately X2Pro came along at the right time. Just about to start the grade in Resolve.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:47:36 pm

very cool, you actual proper editor you..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:17:21 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "very cool, you actual proper editor you..
"

I know, I'm almost a grown-up!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:44:15 pm

[Steve Connor] "A low(ish) budget film called "Chakara" high six figure budget and shot in India. Started the edit a while ago hoping that I would have better audio out options by the time I had finished, fortunately X2Pro came along at the right time. Just about to start the grade in Resolve.
"

As an aside, I cut the film across 6 separate projects due to FCPX's poor handling of longer projects. To test 10.04 I just compiled the 6 projects into one long 100 minute project with 1300 clips and it seems to handle it very well, no lag on playback or editing like previous versions.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:19:52 am

Thank you for all of these tips, Jeremy! This is exactly the sort of reprogramming that my brain needs to sort out whether or not I want to be using FCP X. I want it to succeed and I want to want to use it, but whenever I use it I still feel like I'm in iMovie.

Event Manger X looks like an awesome little app! The other apps by Intelligent Assistance (Project Xto7 and Sync-N-Link X) also look very useful and I'm grateful that you pointed me in that direction.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason BrownRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:22:38 am

Don't forget that u can make folders at the event manager level...and subfolders. Only difference is these contain keyword collections, not clips.

U literally could make a keyword the same name as a folder in a project organized in finder and rebuild the same structure if u wanted to. Its not completely necessary...play with it, it's a COMPLETELY different way to organize and find stuff...nowhere near the very linear build that I love, but very clever and if u can figure out how to use it, WAY more powerful than folders inside folders inside folders....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Duncan CraigRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:35:51 am

I'm very new to FCPX (bought it on Friday).

If I'm reading this right you can only have 9 keywords, so only 9 'bins'.
You could use a combination of keywords to make 9x9, but what if you get part way through making your keywords and assigning them and then need a tenth which doesn't fit the setup you have in place...

I think smart collections based on named favourites look a better bet, but it's a shame that the names of a favourite clip section don't make it to the timeline. It does mean naming a favourite and then creating a smart collection to house, but that's almost the same as creating a bin and dragging clips to it I suppose...

I don't see Events as anything to be happy about, it's just part of the workflow.
With FCP6 I'm really happy with my archiving strategy for media and projects. I keep a weekly incrementing zipped copy every FCP project, livetype and motion project I've ever made, and sync it all to Dropbox and a second Mac. Media lives on matching pairs of USB2 drives, I use an eSata as a scratch disk.

With FCPX I can't put a project on my system drive anymore and synchronise it to Dropbox because the project contains massive ProRes render files.

Overall I like FCPX, it's a refreshing change from the usual NLEs and seems quite stable on my 2008 MBP. The Event window is always too small even when you drag it around, and I wish the viewer on second monitor would show 100% of the image without the menus around the outside on my second 1920x1080 screen.

EX1
MBP
FCPX
Short fingernails

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason PorthouseRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:52:10 am

Duncan,

You can have far more than 9 keywords - I don't think there is a limit. The misconception of 9 comes from the fact you can have those assigned to shortcuts, but they're changeable and not fixed.

I've just finished a fairly major project on X - 20 odd short films for a tourist authority. Shot by 2 crews on a mixture of XDCam EX, 5D and GoPro. About a terabyte of media in all, with maybe 50 -70 keyword collections (bins) and a fairly typical smattering of graphics, narration, music and ambient SOT. Typically I was able to cut these about 30% quicker with X than 7 I reckon, and I really liked some of it's features. Some drove me up the wall.

Media management wise, I would copy the project folders at finder level each night (only changed ones) and then discard the render files from the backup projects. A little time consuming but not too bad. I'd also backup the event file (not the entire event) in it's own folder, dated and timed, to ensure that backup was there.

This saved our bacon once, when my client, trying to copy a project over from her macbook pro as I'd been doing (AirDrop the project folder, place in correct drive location with FCP off, fire it up and away - worked a charm) BUT she copied the wrong thing and tried to import the project within X rather than at finder level with X not running. Result - all keywords collections (essentially all the logging) and most projects gone. We replaced the current event with the backup from the Friday before and replaced project files from the backup , restarted X and fortunately all was well. As someone who's well used to mucking around at finder level and quite disciplined I was confident we'd get the project back, and I think that the underpinnings of the database in X are quite strong, but there does seem to be a few too easy ways of it screwing up if you're not careful. Couple that with seemingly random corruptions and crashes that people like the OP have had and it makes me nervous - not to the extent that I won't use it, but enough to make my backup regime thorough.

In the 1 or 2 cases where the project (read sequence) became corrupt, or at least wouldn't open (we used Neat Video on a lot of clips and it was a little unstable on occasions, especially with Skimming on) then removing CurrentVersion and replacing it with a renamed backup (copied from the Backups folder and renamed CurrentVersion) it never failed to get us back on track, and in about the same time as Restore would on 7.

I'm back cutting on 7 now, and already I miss some of X's features - skimming (after hating it initially), the fluidity of the timeline (although I still think tracks are necessary) and the overall speed of the app. I'm rooting for X as I think it has the potential to be great and it will definitely be in my editing toolbox (along with 7 and Avid) for a lot of projects.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Duncan CraigRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 10:47:52 am

Jason, thanks. That's huge.

You're right about misconceptions, usual story I suppose. Having the Keyword Shortcuts pop up each time, drove me to thinking I had to use a shortcut, but duh, I see you just type anything into the top window. That's it...! What got me is that if you type in nine keywords on one clip, it fills in the nine presets for you, the top entry box disappears and when you go to a new clip the same 9 show up again.

From the FCPX manual:

'Assign keywords using keyboard shortcuts
To add keyword phrases to your clips using keyboard shortcuts, you must first assign keywords and keyword phrases to the keyboard shortcuts'.

I read too fast and it went into my brain as: 'To add keyword phrases to your clips you must first assign keywords and keyword phrases to the keyboard shortcuts'.

Also good to know that keeping manual finder-based backups of CurrentVersion.fcpevent and CurrentVersion.fcpproject will probably get you out of any trouble. Great info. Again thanks!.

Duncan.

EX1
MBP
FCPX
Short fingernails

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason PorthouseRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:52:54 am

No problem Duncan, just be very methodical with how you store the backups as all projects are called the same when you get below the project folder. I also make sure, if replacing a file (either project or event) that I move the existing problem file to the desktop, replace with backup, make sure the new file is working within X and then trash the original moved file.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tony westRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:11:15 pm

So far I have used a method that I saw way back, just making a projects not in use folder and same with events.

I just move the files back and forth when I want to work on them. I know about the app for this but I have not really bothered to use it.

I was dong it this way from the start and just stuck with it.

I don't want to bog down the program with a lot of stuff that I'm not working on anyway.

What I have been doing with a doc I'm working on (tons of clips) is I make each person or subject (b-roll) their own Event. Rather than ONE doc event.

I saw where Steve C had over 2 thousand clips in one event and I'm glad that's working for him, but with the stories I have read about corrupt events I'm a little gun shy. (he also has his stuff backed up)

I figure it like this, if an event gets corrupt I'm thinking it won't take my whole project down.
Just the section with that one person or just the event with my music. Faster to fix than the whole thing.

apple might say "hey, you are defeating the purpose of the virtual (tag) events"
I'm still using the tagging for when I want to find something quick.

I guess you could say I'm using the events like old school bins and the search for clips the new X way.

I might change this once everything settles down, but for now I don't want too many eggs (clips) in one basket.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tangier ClarkeRe: FCP X media management solutions?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:59:10 pm

Garrett, I too have been dealing with media management issues and here's my most recent post if you're interested. The input was really good. It deals more with archiving though.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/9615

Tangier

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]