Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael HancockNAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:30:28 pm

Not be outdone by Autodesk, Avid's releases this:

Avid Symphony Upgrade/Crossgrade

From the article: "The Symphony 6 crossgrade and upgrade offer is available now. Final Cut Pro (excluding Final Cut Pro X), Media Composer (any version), Xpress Pro, and Xpress DV owners can purchase Symphony for $999 USD. This limited-time offer expires June 15, 2012. For eligibility requirements and more information, please visit avid.com/symphonypromo."

It is a great time to be an editor, huh? So many options!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:35:50 pm

This is a strange one... cheaper to cross-grade to Symphony the Media Composer? What does Avid have up their sleeves this NAB? Of course could be desperation move to save the company :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HancockRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:42:13 pm

Probably merging the two lines. I'd guess they'll drop Media Composer since the Symphony name carries more weight.

They posted a profit last quarter - the ship is slowly turning around (whether it's turning fast enough is another question). FCPX is probably helping them a bunch - now they just have to worry about Adobe and CS6, maybe Autodesk depending on their announcement.

For $1,000 though, I'm pushing very very hard for us to convert at least two of our FCP seats to Symphony.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:46:11 pm

Does Symphony work with Kona cards or just AVID hardware. The article implied AVID Nitris hardware was required.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HancockRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:49:14 pm

Symphony works with Kona. You need the NitrisDX for Universal Mastering. If you don't need that, use the Kona.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:08:37 pm

Symphony and Kona do allow for 23.97 output to 29.97 though...that's done via the Kona hardware. But other Universal Mastering options, you need the DX hardware.

I'm running Symphony and Kona 3, and it is more solid than my FCP/Kona combo. It too will upconvert and cross convert.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:19:35 pm

Thanks Shane & Michael. I just need to get 25 fps HD timelines to HDCam. If that is possible with the Kona3 then it is interesting. I don't cross or downconvert.

Only other issue is if I can run a 2K or $k project and monitor on a 1920 x 1080 monitor via the Kona3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:25:05 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Thanks Shane & Michael. I just need to get 25 fps HD timelines to HDCam. If that is possible with the Kona3 then it is interesting. I don't cross or downconvert."

25fps as 25fps? Fine. 25fps as 29.97? 23.98? might need the DX.

[Michael Gissing] "Only other issue is if I can run a 2K or $k project and monitor on a 1920 x 1080 monitor via the Kona3"

The Kona 3G might do 2K...might scale it to fit in the 1080p frame. Not sure about that. I'll ask next week, as I work the booth for them at NAB.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:39:24 pm

Thanks Shane!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Job ter BurgRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:47:27 pm

Symphony does not do 2K nor 3K, just broadcast sizes, max 1920x1070.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:35:47 am

Thanks Job. If that's the case then I would find it too limiting as a finishing tool. OK for the bulk of my work now but....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:08:49 am

To be clear though, it does take some oversized source files. For instance, native RED via AMA, QuickTimes via Avid FX and stills via Pan & Zoom. Avid has discussed making MC/Sym/NC work with bigger than HD frames, but that hasn't yet made it into a release version. Note that both MC and Symphony include full Stereo 3D workflows if you need that. Symphony for $995. Plus you get Avid FX, BCC8, Squeeze and Avid DVD thrown into the deal. Toss in Resolve Lite and Automatic Duck tools for free. Not a shabby package.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:09:22 am

To be clear though, it does take some oversized source files. For instance, native RED via AMA, QuickTimes via Avid FX and stills via Pan & Zoom. Avid has discussed making MC/Sym/NC work with bigger than HD frames, but that hasn't yet made it into a release version. Note that both MC and Symphony include full Stereo 3D workflows if you need that. Symphony for $995. Plus you get Avid FX, BCC8, Squeeze and Avid DVD thrown into the deal. Toss in Resolve Lite and Automatic Duck tools for free. Not a bad package.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:12:03 am

Yes but it's still Avid. Not exactly fun to cut on, especially if you started on another NLE...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:15:29 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Yes but it's still Avid. Not exactly fun to cut on, especially if you started on another NLE.."

Subjective. To you maybe not. To others maybe yes. I started on Avid (linear before) and ended up on FCP 7, which I prefer for pure cutting. I can rock on either. X - still haven't decided. No fun at all when you get out of its design sweet spot. But that's me.

- oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:19:07 am

I also started on my NLE adventure with Avid, but prefer FCP legacy as well. Turning tracks on and off just to hear some audio or having to build a transition in the slug above a cut just isn't fun for me...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy NeilRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:34:35 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Turning tracks on and off just to hear some audio or having to build a transition in the slug above a cut just isn't fun for me...
"

I don't mind the transition part, since it was more flexible than FCP until Motion integration (and in X it's even easier to build custom transitions).

But my biggest gripe with Avid was never the day to day cutting which it does very well. It's their implementation of effects and keyframing. And how after 30 years of existence, you still can't manually relink files or a dozen other small nitpicky things. I actually love cutting on it if all I'm doing is cutting.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chris HarlanRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:54:53 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Turning tracks on and off just to hear some audio"

The audio limits do get to me as well. It really does seem, in the 2nd decade of this century, that 8 stereo tracks is a bit wheezy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:47:44 am

Yeah I do a lot of animation editing and sound design as I cut so it's always a hassle - it was the one single thing I was hoping would improve in 6 :(

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:55:20 am

[Chris Harlan] "The audio limits do get to me as well. It really does seem, in the 2nd decade of this century, that 8 stereo tracks is a bit wheezy."

Well, it always had a 16 track realtime limitation, 24 track total. And they "expanded" the 16 tracks by allowing for single tracks to be Stereo....thus allowing for more tracks to be used for other things. But yes, the realtime audio track limitation is big for me.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eduardo SerranoRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 7:00:52 pm

I started on FCP. SInce like version 1 or 2. I spent the last 2 years cutting in Avid.
I was the advocate for FCP, always making fun of the avid geeks.

Now, I couldn't start to try to explain to you why I prefer Avid. It just works. It takes a lot of the technical side of editing from me. I just ingest and it keeps formats etc all tidy for me. And boy, how much faster I am cutting with it. If it is for narratives, noooo way FCP can match Avid's trim tool. It's just too powerful.

Now, slowly slowly Premiere are just copying avid's tools. But to be honest, they still have a long way to go.

It's a different story if you work on short form and non narrative work.

But I prefer the robustness of avid any day.

I tend to agree to most of what Scott has written here:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ssimmons/story/my_top_5_or_so_adobe_...

Ed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel FromeRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:08:45 am

If you're running software-only, is the only different between MC and Symphony the secondary color correction?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:20:59 am

[Daniel Frome] "If you're running software-only, is the only different between MC and Symphony the secondary color correction?"

Yes, although the Symphony bundle also includes BCC8 filters, while the MC bundled doesn't. However, the color correction is more than just secondary. With Symphony, you get "source side relational" correction (by reel, tape, clip, etc.); track and segment correction; additional tools - luma ranges, channels.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:55:12 am

Yeah $999 ain't gonna cut it (no pun intended, I think) - the new CS6 bundle kinda embarrasses Avid a little - wow what an upgrade!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel FromeRe: NAB NEWS: Avid offers Upgrade/Crossgrade to Symphony for $999
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:06:51 am

I just bought BCC8 separately for MC6. Drag.

I hope they kill MC and just stick to the Symphony line.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]