Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Aindreas GallagherEditor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:28:18 am

Because I have carped on about this for so long, that there wasn't a whisper of FCPX in the world, Its only right that I draw attention to this discussion on FCP.co

The fellah's name is Craig Slattery - here's the meat of the quote anyway:

"Hey Aindreas, actually my name is Craig, not Sara for some reason the post was entered under my wife's login. Im looking at four offline seats, one online with grading in Da Vinci Resolve. I currently edit BBC Two's flag ship weekly magazine arts program, The Culture Show. As a magazine show it consists of VT's and Links. I cut most of the VT's and Online the London shows. We currently cut in FCP 7, but For me FCPX is the way forward. I plan my shop to be completely tape free. So no expensive Tape Hardware. Every program I have edited at the BBC in the last twelve months has been Tapeless. I just completed a new series called Our Food which airs tonight on BBC Two and although it was cut on FCP 7. It was crying out to be cut on FCPX. Once we can get the audio into Pro tools effortlessly, its game on."

So there you go - quite a major vote of confidence there.

and don't anyone ever say that I'm not occasionally, vaguely, even-handed in my posting...

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

James MortnerRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 12:45:03 pm

Interesting stuff, look forward to hearing more about this. The facility seems to be self-contained right ? Apart from audio

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason PorthouseRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:10:54 pm

That's really interesting Aindreas, I think X will be ideal for that - essentially short form high production value stuff cut quickly, then assembled in to a final program. I'm cutting 4-6 min pieces at the moment (for the web but they could just as easily be for broadcast) and I'd say I'm maybe 20% faster to finish to the equivalent standard in X as I was in 7 - and I know 7 well. The more I use it the more I like it, even if some of the glaringly stupid UI issues leave me apoplectic with rage in a John Cleese/Austin 1100 style. I can see it working well.

Now, where's my CV - time to send it to yer man... shame I can't convince Panorama to do the same...

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SandersRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:54:38 pm

[Jason Porthouse] "Now, where's my CV - time to send it to yer man... shame I can't convince Panorama to do the same..."

As I understand it Panorama have only just got on the tapeless wagon, give them a while to get their heads around that first.

Michael Sanders
London based DP/Editor

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

alban eggerRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:35:06 pm

Audio is indeed the last problem IF your client demands OMF.
Other than that I see no more reason to open FCP7 anymore.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:36:12 pm

More:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/electric/

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:38:50 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "More: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/electric/"

Cool.

Is the FCPX In Action page [link] new, or did I just miss it before?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:42:23 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Is the FCPX In Action page [link] new, or did I just miss it before?"

It's all new.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:59:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's all new."

Very interesting -- the @radical.media story mentions finishing FCPX jobs on Smoke. I didn't think that was doable yet...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:02:43 pm

[Walter Soyka] " I didn't think that was doable yet..."

Who knows. They also don't mention anything about CPUs in the "gear list" which could mean something, or nothing, or everything.

I would imagine that since they use DaVinci, you can pass an FCPXML to XML to Smoke if need be.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HarlanRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:37:53 pm

[Walter Soyka] "[Jeremy Garchow] "It's all new."

Very interesting -- the @radical.media story mentions finishing FCPX jobs on Smoke. I didn't think that was doable yet...
"

This guy, Marc-Andre Ferguson, was talking about it back in Nov 2011 in Boston. It's about 8:30 in. He mentions using Resolve as a go-between or x27. He also says they are working on in-program solution for Smoke, which I'm guessing is what this announcement thing is.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:11:25 pm

well you know what - at least they're trying. the pro apps creative place having three year old case study stuff was pretty dispiriting. that looks a lot better, and hearing of two full bore for broadcast post facilities (or one soon to be) going with X in one day is almost a reality overload. It feels like getting indisputable proof of alien life or something.

FCPX badly needed this kind of affirmation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve ConnorRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:43:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "More:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/electric/

Jeremy"

Just the sort of story that FCPX needs at the moment!

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:13:03 pm

absolutely - its weird the effect just looking at that page has.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:31:21 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "absolutely - its weird the effect just looking at that page has."

Aindreas, I'm pretty sure they'd offer you your own "In Action" page if you hopped on the bandwagon...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:05:17 pm

ha! just another gnat on the behind of the cupertino behometh bud..;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris SteeleRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:15:21 pm

Take a look at our new tool X2Pro (http://www.X2Pro.net) for moving projects from FCP-X to Pro Tools and Nuendo.
We take tha FCP-X XML and create an AAF with embedded audio.
Plenty of real world testing and a new version 1.1 just around the corner.
You'll find mentions in the recent Apple articles: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action

Chris Steele
Product Manager
Marquis Broadcast

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik LindahlRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 9:52:33 pm

The gear-list on Apples site doesn't make sense.

iMac
MacBook Pro
OS X
Final Cut Pro X
Xsan
Intelligent Assistance Sync-N-Link X
Marquis Broadcast X2Pro Audio Convert
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve
Avid Pro Tools
RED ROCKET card

They mention RED ROCKET, DaVinci as well as ProTools and they really think the company doing this high-end work wouldn't be using a few MacPro's? All those more or less require that machine.

Good to see FCPX is getting into the spotlight at Apples site.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 9:58:13 pm

It is highly likely that both Da Vinci and ProTools are running on grunty WIN boxes. Why assume that they are on the same machines as the edit. A facility like this would have grade and sound post in totally different rooms with whatever hardware best works for them.

The lack of mention on an Apple site suggests WIN boxes to me. Room for a Decklink and a few Red Rockets and a couple of graphics cards. Oh the joy of a six PCi slot motherboard with built in esata.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 10:09:35 pm

Note the Red Rocket in the gear list doesn't have a hyperlink.
Note that in the @RadicalMedia profile it mentions Mac which links to no specific computer.

Apple is clearly not marketing the current MacPro and while they are mentioning the RedRocket the lack of a link to the card leads me to think there's going to be a change in relation to it. The RedRocket works in a Sonnet PCIe Thunderbolt expansion chassis so I think there's another "missing piece" in Apple's marketing puzzle that may be revealed soon. Obviously all this happening just before NAB is not coincidental.

My own speculation ranges from a MacPro replacement or a RedRocket OEM Thunderbolt version. I have head no rumors to substantiate those thoughts so I'm just speculating on the missing puzzle piece. I don't think Apple is doing these things by accident.

What I do think is that:
MacPro is gone deliberately
RedRocket is not linked to the card deliberately.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik LindahlRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 10:23:04 pm

Apple has deliberately avoided using the MacPro in their marketing for quite some time. It's just odd when it comes to high end video work, especially when they mention high end solutions like DaVinci / Smoke / RED Rocket.

I so hope the MacPro isn't dead... CS6 looks so lovely. Would hate to have to switch to Windows... :-(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 10:31:25 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "I so hope the MacPro isn't dead"

I do think something is going to replace it. All the puzzle pieces point to a new power beast in my mind. It's going to have a different case so it won't wear the MacPro moniker which I think is about to be retired.
There's several rumors that point to "something." One, for example, is anti glare monitor which as you might guess anyone doing serious graphics or grading work would prefer over the awful glossy thing Apple sells (and is currently the ONLY Thunderbolt monitor).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan StewartRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:45:43 pm

Well I'm cutting an Imagine (BBC1 'flagship arts doco') in June on the Titian paintings the UK gov just bought and there's no f@!?king way in hell I'd consider using that half assed toy.
So there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 5:30:56 pm

you just made me bark with laughter in an edit suite.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris SteeleRe: Editor for flagship BBC arts programme prepares London boutique facility based exclusively around FCPX
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:26:27 am

We can solve your Pro Tools workflow. See x2pro.net

Chris Steele
Product Manager
Marquis Broadcast

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy