Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Best Freeking Video Editing EVER

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael BelangerBest Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08:01 pm

My apologies to those of you who may have seen this before but someone just sent me the link and well... I am just speechless. It is the best video editing ever... the message is clear and the use of music so inspired that I thought this should be shared.

Mike Belanger
Dandelion Picture and Sound

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Tim O'GradyRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:26:25 pm

Has this forum just been magically transported back to June 2011?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael BelangerRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:34:31 pm

Sorry Tim... Like I wrote.. someone just sent it to me and I thought considering how decent it was ... well that there should have been more viewers than there was. Plus you gotta read some of the posts below the video on YouTube... now those are fairly recent and are just priceless..
Obviously there was a great deal of sarcasm in my posting subject line but hopefully people who are going to NAB this year might find it a bit interesting. By the way... FC X was released in June but announced at NAB last year and to thundering applause I might add.. Fortunately I was not there because I can tell you that from what they showed I was pretty let down. When I found out no ability to open older projects it was a moot point to even investigate it even with it being 64 bit.
Just disregard the link if you find it pointless.. I just thought it was classic.. The only way to improve it would have been to put "edited on FCP 7" at the ending.

Regards
Mike Belanger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:06:11 pm

Sorry Tim... Like I wrote.. someone just sent it to me and I thought considering how decent it was ... well that there should have been more viewers than there was. Plus you gotta read some of the posts below the video on YouTube... now those are fairly recent and are just priceless..
Obviously there was a great deal of sarcasm in my posting subject line but hopefully people who are going to NAB this year might find it a bit interesting. By the way... FC X was released in June but announced at NAB last year and to thundering applause I might add.. Fortunately I was not there because I can tell you that from what they showed I was pretty let down. When I found out no ability to open older projects it was a moot point to even investigate it even with it being

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Paul JayRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:58:55 pm

Sure.

Doing Uncompressed HD + Dual Link HDSDI monitoring on an iMac or MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt is soooooooooooooooooo 2012 Consumer technology…..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:11:02 pm

[Michael Belanger] "I am just speechless. It is the best video editing ever."

Yes, of course.

And Fox news is the best journalism ever.
And the 700 club is the best manifestation of religion, ever.
And real Coke is the best drink ever.
And my baby is the best looking baby ever.

Now I get it.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:51:59 pm

As Lucy Van Pelt said... "don't you know sarcasm when you hear it"

seems a couple of other posts on this thread got eaten somehow

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:24:04 pm

Sorry, missed it.

Actually the more I though about this video, the more interesting it is to me.

I wonder whether it was a "personal expression" or something produced with an agenda by a stakeholder.

(could easily go either way, IMO)

It is interesting in that it employs some modern "push messaging" in a pretty sophisticated way to mold opinion by taking a clear position and eliminating any contrary ideas from the presentation.

In that way it's very like modern political messaging.

Makes me curious if modern media is making it seem "normal" to do this kind of public opinion molding by attempting to attach emotion to single issue advocacy (emo music et al)- and how that will increasingly impact marketing and public opinion in the future.

It's a fascinating time when everyone can access anything and we accept having NO clue as to any linkage about the creator's identity or possible purpose.

Not saying this is wrong in any way. Just interested in how things are evolving in a viral video world - where there's no way to determine who made the political ad we had to sit through in order to watch a cute singer on the late show last night?

Interesting new place to be in a world where there's diminishing barriers to content creation.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Alan OkeyRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 5:20:05 pm

I just assumed that everyone knew by now that Jeffrey Harrell created this video... After all, it's only been out for months now.

http://jefferyharrell.tumblr.com/

And it's not exactly a big secret that he's no fan of FCPX.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance BachelderRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:50:51 am

Way to use a old video clip to get a couple of left-wing, anti-Christian hate-speak jabs in there Bill. Real class.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 4:25:45 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Way to use a old video clip to get a couple of left-wing, anti-Christian hate-speak jabs in there "

To take him literally he's also anti coca cola and anti babies, but apparently that doesn't bother you. There was only humor in his remarks, you'd have to do a lot of stretching to call it hate.

Here, I'll even it up for you -

"and MSNBC is the best tv ever
and Bill Maher is the most atheist ever."

- now the political cards are all evened out and we can all go to sleep.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Chris HarlanRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 2:38:16 pm

[Herb Sevush] "To take him literally he's also anti coca cola and anti babies"

Just make sure you keep Diet Pepsi out of this. Some thing should just NOT be mocked.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 30, 2012 at 4:39:39 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Way to use a old video clip to get a couple of left-wing, anti-Christian hate-speak jabs in there Bill. Real class.
"

Huh?

In what way is what I posted ANY of these?

It's not "left wing" to note that Fox has a point of view. So does MSNBC. Fox actually has attempted to brand themselves directly as "fair and balanced" - if people feel that's factual, then any allegation of mine is insignificant. Plus, I don't think it's "left wing" to reflect the fact that Roger Ailes and FOX started the modern trend toward advocacy journalism. It's historically accurate. Study after study confirm it. They have a point of view and promote it in much of their line-up. Again, just as does MSNBC. These are the facts of modern broadcasting, like it or not.

And Anti-Christian? How so? I have much personal admiration for Christianity's role in moving civilization forward. I just separate religion and religious fundraising. Actually, the founder of the CBN - Mr. Robertson is the son of a Democratic Senator. So what's the "political" point here? I don't argue with his religious beliefs, OR his ancestry -I just question his fundraising tactics.
Since the mid 1970s he's been proclaiming that the "end is coming - as a pretty transparent fundraising tactic constantly. Do a wikipedia search. They have a nice list of his doomsday predictions just in the previous decade. He keeps predicting things and keeps being factually wrong. That's the 700 club problem - not that it's religious - but that it's track record of accuracy is abysmal in factual matters.

I admire most honest religious people. Particularly the ones that walk their talk. Every time some member of any church reaches out and helps feed the hungry or shelters the poor, I salute them. That matters. And that's good IMO. Spending zillions of their tax free loot to effect political matters - not so good in my opinion - but nobody asks me, nor should they. My personal feeling is that if nobody was hungry or poor or sick, then I might better support the modern nexus of politics and religion, But that's not really my business. Still, I can have an opinion and that's all I put here.

And as to the "hate speak" stuff you're trying to tag m with, I keep looking at what i wrote...
___
And Fox news is the best journalism ever.
And the 700 club is the best manifestation of religion, ever.
And real Coke is the best drink ever.
And my baby is the best looking baby ever.
___

and I think only someone with extremely thin skin and a bit of a persecution complex would likely read ANY of that as "hate speech."

That's my take. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on why what I wrote should be taken as you describe it.

Enlighten me, please. What of those words are the "hate jab" ones exactly?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Lance BachelderRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 6:35:30 am

You wrote what you wrote - it was humorless, pointless and crass. This is a forum for software/hardware issues etc. but you went somewhere you shouldn't have...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frank GothmannRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 8:30:22 am

I totally disagree. This forum can also tackle other issues as they come up and that's just fine and part of the appeal.
But in any case, there is nothing he said that is of any issue. And even if it was with regards to religion... nothing wrong with that. I can and should be subject to irony, jokes, criticism, praise or whatever you personal opinion is - just like any other subject.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

tom fraserRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:50:36 pm

In your mind left wing and anti christian are linked ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aindreas GallagherRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:17:55 pm

Jeffrey Harrell's work. He's rather a stylish editor. I also love the ncely judged scanline overlays on the close up stuff, and the social network pastiche with that Jobs quote is just outright genius. I think he did it in... a day or two.
He's also the guy that just ripped adobe a new one over the timecode thing. Formidable chappie.
Something of a Zola truth to power type even.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:32:10 pm

As Rango would say... (paraPhrase) " he's good... perhaps too good" excellent really.

No... it is quite impactful and funny and of course the Jobs quote as you mention is just perfect. He's got my vote. I'll look over the Adobe trashing video if I can find it. But at least when Adobe released their 64 bit AE it still could open up the older projects. How basic is that !!

Mike B

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:40:38 pm

too right. - david posted his blog stuff there below - it was a blog post of his that just lit a fire under adobe there - but in all fairness, Adobe's response, while not fully to his taste, was mindbogglingly open and quick.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David LawrenceRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:34:56 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Jeffrey Harrell's work. He's rather a stylish editor. I also love the ncely judged scanline overlays on the close up stuff, and the social network pastiche with that Jobs quote is just outright genius. I think he did it in... a day or two.

He's also the guy that just ripped adobe a new one over the timecode thing. Formidable chappie.
Something of a Zola truth to power type even."

Yep, one smart and articulate dude. Here's his site. And here's what he wrote on June 23.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:43:14 pm

yeah, that first FCPX post was a true lash of the whip.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herb SevushRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:25:16 pm

[David Lawrence] "Yep, one smart and articulate dude. Here's his site. And here's what he wrote on June 23. "

Thanks for the link. It's fascinating how much that critique holds up over time.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:51:15 pm

As if right on cue I just got a Promedia Academy email entitled "FINAL CUT PRO X IS A HIT !!!
I am not sh#$#ing you .. Just got it..How bizarre is that.
It goes on to write "Great Reviews from the Professional Community"

AND MORE

"Thanks to Apple's responsiveness and both performance and ease-of-use features, the wind has changed and Final Cut Pro X finally gets the acceptance and the positive feedback it deserves. "

PLUS

they provide a link to a review from PC Mag
Here's the link
Haven't even read it yet.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387491,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K000053...

MikeB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James MortnerRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 11:38:25 am

[Michael Belanger] "As if right on cue I just got a Promedia Academy email entitled "FINAL CUT PRO X IS A HIT !!!"

From the same people offering $3000 final cut server training ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Best Freeking Video Editing EVER
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 6:44:29 pm

[Michael Belanger] "they provide a link to a review from PC Mag
Here's the link
Haven't even read it yet.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387491,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K000053.....
"

Yet ANOTHER review where they compare it to iMovie:

"It's clear that this is the logical next step for would-be editors moving up from iMovie—the choice right in the center of the window is to Import iMovie projects."

If people want this to not be called iMovie Pro...they need to stop doing reviews where they compare it to iMovie, talk about it being the next step up from iMovie...how easy it is to take projects in FROM iMovie (there is a menu option for this, while to get projects from and to FCP Legacy requires third party options). But then...again...this is a CONSUMER magazine...review aimed at consumers. WHo will love all the easy to use pre-built things.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]