Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

iMac now or later?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mark SlocombeiMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:35:45 pm

Like many others I have been waiting to replace my 2006 Mac Pro. Now that Mountain Lion will exclude it from ongoing OS upgrades. the Mac Pro itself is getting noisier during big renders, and there's no sign of a Thunderbolt Mac Pro soon, the time has come to replace with a 27 / i7 / 32gb iMac.

So my question is - does anyone have a good idea of when iMacs will next be updated and what the new spec will be?

I get that it might be around May and it might add TV functionality, but doesn't seem like there will be huge development in processor, connectivity or non-glossy screen. So now would be as good a time as then.

Do any of you expert Apple-watchers know any more?

Mark Slocombe
http://www.creationvideo.com
London, England

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 6:52:48 pm

Between now and May how much ROI (return on investment) can you get on a new machine?

ANSWER: You can probably pay for the machine with one good job.

And, I can pretty much assure you, there's almost assuredly nothing so momentous that will be in the May version that it will change your editing life dramatically or "render" an immediate purchase of a current version of the iMac a wasted expense.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com
http://www.ProMax.com

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:30:36 pm

Yeah, but if one can do the same job on an old machine, I can pay for daycare instead!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Reid AltRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 6:54:46 pm

Well, they just came out with a revision to the iMacs in mid 2011, so I can't imagine that they are in too big of a hurry to update again, considering that it's not their line of computers that people are gobbling up right now (mostly their portable line, of course). I'm running off an identical system as the one you described, and I can't see any reason to avoid upgrading at the moment. This thing is a monster.

Of course, the iMacs only go up to 16GB of RAM at the moment. Just thought you should be aware of that before you buy any additional RAM that you don't need.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SlocombeRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 8:05:35 pm

Cheers - the leasing company that will supply the iMac
I'd get is offering 32gb ram as an upgrade - one of the reasons I'm more positive about the iMac now.

Mark Slocombe
London, England

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James DischRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:28:40 pm

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

If your current machine can hold on for a few more months it might be wise to wait.

http://www.rapidlightproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tapio HaajaRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:37:49 pm

I think only big difference to buy now or later would be if Apple starts using Nvidia CUDA Compatible Graphic Cards. There are some rumours flying next MacPro will have Nvidia CUDA Compatible Graphic Card as default so maybe high end iMac could also have one? Just wild guess. I have absolutely no information. Anyway this would be big thing for at least people using Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve and some other softwares.

Best
Tapio Haaja

On-Air Promotion Producer
http://avseikkailuja.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DobsonRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:39:04 pm

The advice on Macrumors is to hold on - don't buy now. They say it's 292 days since the last update and the average is 273.

However David Roth Weiss is right to say that if it's going to produce good revenue buy it now.

I've been hanging on for a long time now for the new MacPro and whilst my present 2008 Mac is getting on a bit it is still a pro quality machine that I can rely on even if it isn't the fastest in the world.

Either way you are going to get a substantially better machine than the one you have got now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:35:06 pm

There's a third theory. It's December 31st and I need to spend some money for tax write-offs! That's how I bought my i7 iMac. I too had a 2006 MacPro. Still do. With a 5770 radeon it's still a great machine. I certainly like two 22" screens over a single 27" any day. As a compromise, I've decided I'll have to get another 27" display.

But since it's February, I'd wait until at least March 7 when the new iPad 3 is announced with retina display. It seems there might be other announcements that come with that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick LangRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 8:26:20 pm

Lots of helpful comments. Not sure if the Mac Pro is noisy due to the fans or a complaining hard disk which of course could be serious. Relying on a 6 year old machine may be a risk factor. No harm done buying a tricked out iMac now.

You could consider the SSD option for maximum performance. If you decide to wait a few more months, Mountain Lion will be installed, you will possibly have seen updated Mac Pros to compare to the iMacs, the iMacs could see an upgrade as well which most importantly may be significant upgrades to the GPU as others have noted. Apple may increase the maximum memory limit as occasionally even 16 GB can be exhausted. The SSD options in a few months may be larger and faster than today. The CPU may see a modest increase. The internal hard disk will likely go to 3 TB since they have offered 2 TB since 2009. So if course if you wait you get more for your money but in the mean time you may be risking a failure on the 2006 Mac Pro and lost productivity. You can't go wrong with today's iMac if you don't need multiple GPUs or other internal I/O cards. You even adapt to seeing the glossy screen so it doesn't seem a big deal that matte is missing. You can always attach a couple of external monitors if needed. I still use an Apple 23" Cinema HD Display which works well with my HDV video.
Good luck.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Neil GoodmanRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 9:07:08 pm

Jost got one a couple months a go to replace my mac pro. Other than the fact I'm still waiting for a good i/o thunderbolt device, to replace my declink extreme 2, I'm loving this machine. FCP 7 and MC reworking better than ever under 10.7.2 and it definitely feels way faster than the old box and 8 core mac pro i use at work.

Im pretty sure tho it caps out at 16gb ram.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin PatrickRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:18:13 pm

Since you're experiencing faster overall performance, which Mac Pro did you have?

I'm assuming you got the fastest iMac?
With the added GPU memory?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:11:40 pm

FWIW my intensity extreme is shipping out today from markertek.com - I ordered this morning when it said in stock. Now it says more coming in.

Bhphoto and others still say they're in per-order status.

So time to check around. Apparently they are finally shipping to resellers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SlocombeRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 9:13:35 pm

Thanks for all responses - as I'll be leasing (3 years) rather the buying (for the first time in 18 years of Mac-purchasing), the fact that the leasing company are flexible about upgrading during the contract also leans me toward replacement sooner rather the later.

Mark Slocombe
London, England

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lemur HayopRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 10:18:55 pm

There's always a "new release around the corner" according to rumors. Conversely, the same rumor sites say there are delays. But I think there's a good chance there will be new releases across the entire computer line within a year. Thus, if you buy something new now that can aid in profitability, also consider its resale value within the next year while it's still under warranty. I'm taking such an approach with the MacBook Pro, where rumors fly like bats. I'll probably buy the best I can afford in case I utlimately prefer to keep it.

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Helmut KoblerRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:10:13 am

If you can wait a few more months, I would do it.

By June, Intel will be shipping its Ivy Bridge platform, which will go into new iMacs and portables. It's almost certain that USB 3 ports will be a part of that, and I think it would be a shame to spend the next several years without built-in USB 3 support. It's not something you can easily add via Thunderbolt, and expect good performance. Better to have it built into the motherboard. And of course, Ivy Bridge will have some performance gains over the current Sandy Bridge Macs.

As for the Mac Pro, you only have to wait another month or two to find out if Apple will release a new one. That's when Intel ships new Xeon processors which Mac Pros have always used...they're due by April. My guess is that a new Mac Pro will ship right at the same time. And if not, you can always get an iMac.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:05:34 am

I'd sit tight if you can as well.

If the leasing company is cool, and your investment is protected, then you're good.

Not only are there Nvidia rumors (which won't really help an fcp7 install), there's also the next generation ati cards floating around (Tahiti).

Perhaps it's not wise to base a business on rumors, but there's some development signs pointing to new computers sometime soon.

You won't go wrong with the new iMacs, though, they are sweet machines, as are the quad core MacBook pros.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:22:49 am

The latest rumor is that Ivy is delayed until September because Intel wants to sell its remaining Sandy inventory. September? And that's the same time Mountain Lion is slated for public release. Well, that's seven months away at the earliest. That's a lot of time to sit on an old computer trying to churn video at a snail's pace. For a hobbyist, fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Helmut KoblerRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 9:29:53 am

I don't think the chips destined for an iMac are so delayed. My bet is April - June.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/20/most-of-intels-ivy-bridge-cpus-not-actu...

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:42:15 am

I love our new iMac. With promise pegasus it's pretty screamy. If I could wait till June at this point, I would. Look at Mountain Lion - the interface is adding simple buttons like on an iPad. Best case scenario the iMac update is massive and includes a touchscreen interface and an all new design. Worst case it's incremental, but you'd at least be confident knowing you had the most up to date iMac.

Rumors have said all products were getting somewhat dramatic overhauls this year. Rumors don't always come true though. Even the truly wise cannot see all ends.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HuffRe: iMac now or later?
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:23:12 pm

[John Davidson]Best case scenario the iMac update is massive and includes a touchscreen interface and an all new design.

Mmm, I can see all those fingerprint smudges on that 27" glossy display even now...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 9:11:50 pm

The latest rumor as of this second is that Ivy quad will not be delayed. Many over here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1326993) want to see new iMac and MBP releases in April.

stay tuned....updates in a few seconds

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]